Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May OSAM, Canyons, ellll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: May OSAM, Canyons, ellll Reply with quote

Hello Friends!,

This song for my May offering, called, The San Rafael, was conceived for orchestra. However, I fell back on piano to give me the harmonic setting I wanted for it. Perhaps we could call it a very short, no solos, piano concerto, ad lib Rolling Eyes .... One thing at least, is O.K.; the orchestra members are located in their correct placement.

It is intended to evoke the San Rafael Swell area in central Utah, USA... which is a huge eroded upwelling of lava, and overlying stone, and has some of the United States most amazing escarpments, canyons and pinnacles. It is always a shock to approach from the east.. after leaving the town of Green River...

I wanted to try to record in music .., the heat, the desolation, yet the heartbreaking beauty of this amazing canyon and pinnacle area.

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/canyons.mp3

Turn it up... John (ellll) Very Happy
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, in my good headphones that was amazing. I had the windows media player visualizer going along with your concerto and it fit perfectly what you were doing there. I was struck with how you just slightly hold back from allowing everything to gush harmony, there's just that hint of desolation in the beautiful notes, but it's unmistakeable, its almost as if you are really looking on something grand yet with a slightly darker underside. The only thing I would like in this piece is the piano solo you mentioned. I do believe that to break up the strings with a piano part doing something solo and then bringing in the strings again would round this off nicely. As is, it's really amazingly beautiful and one i could listen to over and over. I love this romantic style, it's always been my favorite, I have some trouble with the more abstract classical, and the baroque etc is nice but doesn't deliver emotionally like this stuff does. I don't know how much time this took to compose and execute and record but it sounds like it took a very long time. I'm like all "bravo bravissimo" sir. You made my night once again.
album cover
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

This is very beautiful! Again I am amazed at how well you paint pictures with your music. I agree with everything George said.....but will also mention the beautiful singing of the french horns and the flute, and some very special moments in the string lines too.

Your placement of the orchestra seems very 'right' to me and I would be interested to know how you did this.... Very Happy ........

Looks like you are achieving very great heights with this year's Osam - I am quite blown away by each new song you are putting on.

Regards from
Dee
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sonic quality, all the instruments are very clear, and you also get a good dynamic range from soft to loud. Rhythmically and harmonically it reminds me of maybe stravinsky, which is good. It's not strict, but it keeps moving and has its own momentum. It definitely has a storyline and evoked pictures in my head. If I hadn't read your description first, I don't know if I would have pictured lava etc, but that's what I saw. Very good!
pwmccredie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a complex and moody work. What a joy to listen to the lost art of actually changing melodic disposition within a song.
joet63

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ellll, very atmospheric song, good though I liked the keys and piano parts a lot, the whole piece flows very well through each other, my only thing would be is, is it recorded loud enough. I had to turn my speakers up quite a bit to hear all the parts, but ellll it's a wonderful song, well done!

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!!
Wow!!!!

Shocked

This is so good...I'm speechless!

The emotion, and drama, is so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Just superb, John, I absolutely love this.

Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my Friends,

Sorry I have been absent a bit, but it will become even more necessary...I fear.

In the meantime, I want to thank all who wrote and commented rather kindly, on this construction, and it is just that; a difficult undertaking that a "few" others are attempting now, and that I HOPE we hear a finished example of soon.....

That is, a keyboard based.... and often today, a soft synth based full orchestral composition; difficult because we now try to honestly place the instrumentation correctly..., instead of just playing a string voice, and a harp and a trumpet etc....

In this, I lack the equipment for heavy metal 'tis true..., but this is even HARDER..., for it requires the sound be auditorial (if such a word exists...), and yet not terribly loud... so Joet and others, sorry, you are right !!

I could NOT get the "sonics" up to sound full, and yet not too loud; it just didn't work on what I have to work with....

This is really a bit terrible, but it was a start for me in the trying to BRING OUT , the kind of orchestral comps. I have written in my younger years... ; on the KEYBOARD in correct form.

Another member will yet bring you the same, I hope... A SELF WORKED, complete composition...and with MUCH better sound!

Again, thanks for the kind words!!

My sincere regards.... John (Johnny) (ellll) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: