Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg DS-10 Plus!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWGumby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Korg DS-10 Plus! Reply with quote

There's an expanded feature version of Korg DS-10 called Korg DS-10 Plus (or '+') which will basically double the features of the original when using a DSi and sell for a cheaper price.

See the following link for details and cheesy video:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/korg-ds-10-plus-coming-to-nintendo-dsi-211249
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is intentionally cheezy as a parody of the Jobs/Apple presentations.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
The video is intentionally cheezy as a parody of the Jobs/Apple presentations.

i'm surprised they didn't call it the DS-10S then Laughing

still, I may just have to get one... it appears to be starting to rival the EMX!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let me get this straight...this software can tell if it is in a DS or DSi and basically will only work or have the expanded feature only if you are using the DSi? well that SUCKS!!!!!!

I really don't want to buy a new DS, I just got this one last year...This is a total bummer.

I'll be calling the software company on Monday to learn the truth on this because this would be so wrong!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo fully supports software that works only on the DSi and takes advantage of its more powerful hardware.

No amount of software is going to make your DS lite processor more powerful. There's no way they're able to make those new features backwards compatible. Your DS lite works just as good as the day you bought it, right? The DSi also has much better audio output hardware. I bought my DS lite this year, but I thought the DSi was worth the upgrade for the DS-10 audio improvement alone. I used the GameStop upgrade, so someone got a mint-condition DS lite with original box after my trade. The dual cameras and SD memory slot are useful too.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand there is no upgrade in the DSi in terms of processor and speed,

the only real upgrades are:

the sd slot
the camera
supposedly the sound engine is better (but subjective...no official statement by Nintendo about upgrading the sound card)
a slightly bigger screen (which only magnifies the current pixel ratio)
slightly thinner package
built in software to include the web browser

This has been the reports of the hands on tests/reviews and that if for some reason you really want the camera that would be about the only reason to upgrade.

Now if there are some official statements from nintendo about putting in a newer faster processor and sound card I'd like to read that.

Until then I'm just hoping it is a matter of semantics...for DSi meaning for DS or DSi.

Honestly I just hate upgrading.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DSi seemed signficantly faster to me from the first time I used it, and not just with the DS-10 software. The interface seems more snappy to me too. The Wikipedia entry has reference articles indicating the DSi main processor is a 133Mhz ARM11, while the DS lite is listed as a 67 Mhz ARM9, and beside double the clock speed, the last time I looked the ARM11 in the DSi had some significantly enhanced DSP functions that would be very useful for the DS-10 algorithms. I actually read through the CPU datasheet before I bought the DSi.

http://www.semiconductorblog.com/2009/05/08/nintendo-dsi/

So the DSi appears to have more than double the CPU power, having an ARM11 and ARM9 at double the speed of the DS lite's ARM9 and ARM7.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, damn...looks like I'm saving up for a new toy, not what I had in mind.

It is going to be nice to have a fully running EMX with this new up grade in a pocket size though.

Which leads me to my next thought...so is it possible that korg will be looking at this as their new platform for electribe type systems since there has been no new plans for a new electribe?

Realisticly with the doubled up capability of the DS 10 plus you pretty much do have an EMX. All that's next is to add a sampling function to take wave files via the SD slot on the side of the DSi
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
knobfun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio quality on Mini-plug out doesn't really compare to 1/4 inch balanced phone outs (as on EMX), though, does it...?

And I think Electribe fans like to tweak real knobs and buttons, not play with a plastic pen and touch screen...
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed. I was hoping they'd expand pattern length, but I guess there's no change as it isn't mentioned.

Great news anyway (even though it means I'll have to buy a new Nintendo).
GWGumby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
Very interesting indeed. I was hoping they'd expand pattern length, but I guess there's no change as it isn't mentioned.

Great news anyway (even though it means I'll have to buy a new Nintendo).
Pattern length would be my main wish too. Even more than more sounds.
plosive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run down;

2x the features (Dual Mode).. 4 synths, 8 drums, 12 patterns = for DSi only

Enhanced sequencer.. song mode now lets you perform & record parameter changes while the song is playing back, as well as mixer settings, track mutes, etc. = for DSi and DS/DS Lite.

+ the enhanced sequencer/song mode should address any need for longer pattern lengths really now that we can edit during playback.

sampling would have been awesome. maybe they'll do another product altogether or something like a EMU Emulator III or something. That'd be slick.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio quality has nothing to do with the connector size. It has everything to do with the quality of the circuits hooked up to the connectors. In this regard, the DSi sounds great when hooked up to pro/studio quality gear, because that's how I test it. The EMX sounds great too. I have both, but I don't see the DS-10 as a replacement for the EMX, even though it's getting much closer in features. The workflow, interface design, FX, and most everything on the EMX is better than the DS-10. I like the direction the DS-10 is heading, but it has a long way to go to replace the EMX.
knobfun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
The audio quality has nothing to do with the connector size. It has everything to do with the quality of the circuits hooked up to the connectors.

Really? But the EMX outs are "balanced" 1/4 inch, and an 1/8 inch mini-plug is not balanced. I don't know what "balanced" means--doesn't it mean a difference in signal quality? Like maybe a better signal-to-noise ratio...

It's like the difference between balanced XLR outs and unbalanced RCA outs on DJ mixers. The former type is found on more professional type mixers, costs more, and should mean higher quality...?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knobfun wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
The audio quality has nothing to do with the connector size. It has everything to do with the quality of the circuits hooked up to the connectors.

Really? But the EMX outs are "balanced" 1/4 inch, and an 1/8 inch mini-plug is not balanced. I don't know what "balanced" means--doesn't it mean a difference in signal quality? Like maybe a better signal-to-noise ratio...

It's like the difference between balanced XLR outs and unbalanced RCA outs on DJ mixers. The former type is found on more professional type mixers, costs more, and should mean higher quality...?

you can only actually take advantage of 'balanced' outputs by using a three-pin XLR connector or a 'stereo' (tip, ring, sleve (TRS)) cable, and both devices at either end of the cable have to have balanced connections.

it uses the extra pin/sleve on the jack to send a null signal, which picks up the noise that the signal wire would pick up too, and then subtracts it from the signal line. or something like that. anyway it doesn't affect the actual outputs at all, it is just about cables which cancel out noise.

xmlguy is right that the main difference in quality of the output sound is from the DAC gear before the outputs, and in the quality of the components used.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: