Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland D50 sound needed for OASYS.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Roland D50 sound needed for OASYS. Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

Enya used a Roland D50 factory sound for her song Orinoco Flow called "Pizzagogo" (bank 44) and I would really like to get my hands on this sound. The pizzicato strings sound on the OASYS is too realistic to allow me to emulate the D50 sound exactly, so I was hoping one of you might consider sampling the sound directly off the D50 without the reverb effect.

The notes are short so if you have a D50, just record one long wave file of you pressing each note. I'll do the rest.

Regards
Sharp.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you (hope someone can) Embarassed , but was wondering - after just listening to it, that if you DID get hold of that patch, the exact one, would it sound the same?, since Enya's sounds - both vocal of instrumental have an "oringinality" about them.

It's very hard (in my opinion) to copy/imitate other peoples sounds, likewise, it would be hard for Enya, (or any other artist) to imitate YOUR "sound" Were all unique!! - one way or another Smile

Anthony

JOHN 3:16
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but was wondering - after just listening to it, that if you DID get hold of that patch, the exact one, would it sound the same?, since Enya's sounds - both vocal of instrumental have an "oringinality" about them.

I think the chances of success are extremely high since Enya did no work on the D50 patch. She just used the factory sound as it came straight off the D50. So if it's sampled right, then it should transfer over to the OASYS really well.

Quote:
It's very hard (in my opinion) to copy/imitate other peoples sounds, likewise, it would be hard for Enya, (or any other artist) to imitate YOUR "sound" Were all unique!! - one way or another

Yes there only so much you can emulate since her sound is so unique. I'd say my own music is inspired by her and other styles all mixed up into one. So I wouldn't be trying to emulate Enya's overall sound, I'd be more likely to just take small parts an idea's she used and make them my own.

When you get to the end of this for me, there are 3 sounds I'm trying to emulate from Enya.

1: The Vocal Pads which I've got covered now. I can reproduce them perfectly between my own sampling and AKAI CD's like the 5th disk on SOV (pop stacks).

2: Her main sound which is the arpeg sound you hear all the time. Storm In Africa heavily features this sound throughout. This is another one I've managed to emulate really well.

3: The Pizzagogo sound. This is the last one and something I've failed miserably in trying to emulate even though it's the worlds most simple sound. The pizzicato sounds on modern synths are just too realistic and you can't synthesise the sound. So that leaves me with the hope that someone can sample the Pizzagogo straight off the D50.

Hope someone can help because this is very important to me.

Regards
Sharp
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a look if you love Jarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fLPxxQeVo

The D50 is a true classic.

Regards
Sharp
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good? http://www.synthmania.com/d-50.htm

Check "PCM 47 - Pizz - from which the great "Pizzagogo" patch is built upon" a sample

And Number 44 in the list, which is an actual performance...

a youtube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEemFXGRf2Q with something similar Confused ???

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
gorkymate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.I could send you mysample wich I sampled for my Extreme..if you wish?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any good? http://www.synthmania.com/d-50.htm

Check "PCM 47 - Pizz - from which the great "Pizzagogo" patch is built upon" a sample

I tried that but you can't shape it with the HD-1 engine to sound like an LA Synth. Modern synths are far too clean and they don't synthesize the sound heavily like the LA engine does in the D50.

It's the actual engine that makes this sound what is and I don't think it's possible to reproduce it any other way than sampling the actual factory sound coming off the D50 straight.

If you listen to that reason video you pointed to you can hear that the sound is heavily synthesized and not a clear pizzicato strings like the mp3 file on that synthmania website.

Regards
Sharp
gorkymate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..you're right..but how can you achive that?!
I've got sample in my Extreme..pretty nice of course, I understand about what you talking..hey if you wanna achive that ..goodluck..because I also need sound from D 50 and I've got it at home.....I'll try to sample it to see what become fo it....for my own curios
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..you're right..but how can you achive that?!

Considering the type of sound it is, at a minimum I would need C, D#, F#, A, from every octave and recordings as long untill the sound runs out. This would mean when creating the multisample at no point would an original recording be shifted mode than 1 semi tone in either direction from it's root note and the compression of playing stretched notes would be at a minimum.

That should go a long way to produce an almost perfect emulation of the sound.

Ideally I'd love to get my hands on the sound sampled like that with and without the default reverb turn on. That way I could get a very good idea of how the D50 reverb sounds, and I could either go with the samples as they are with reverb, or go with the dry ones and try recreate the reverb of the D50 on the OASYS through emulating it with whatever the OASYS has that's close. That would be just heaven.

Quote:
because I also need sound from D 50 and I've got it at home.

Cool Smile
If you can help me, I can help you get what your after too if your looking for someone to donkey work by assemble the sounds or loop samples.

Regards.
Sharp,
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.synthmania.com/d-50.htm

Scroll down to the audio patch examples.

The D50 is one of my favourite Digital synths,owned 2 of them in the past decade,but always found the Outputs were noisy,I've now got the V xynth XT,the D50 emulator is superb,plus all my original patches I made are replicated exact.

If you can't get the samples you need from anyone else Sharp,if you give me a few days I'll sample the Pizzagogo preset,you may get a cleaner sound from the Vsynth XT as it has resampling.

There are various Pizz string clones of this sound in Rolands synth legacy,things like the XP series or JV modules(theres certainly one in the 1080)
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kontrol49.

That would be amazing. I'll just hang on until gorkymate gets back and see what he says.
I didn't know the D-50 had noisy outputs and if it's as bad as the Mt32 was in though days it might be best to wait for you to resample the V Synth patch.

It would be a very important sound to me.

Thanks a million.
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ears are ringing, and I've got a banging headache. I've just spent the entire day trying to reconstruct this sound on the OASYS. Have a listen to this and let me know what you think.

http://www.irishacts.com/misc/orinoco-flow.mp3

I had to make 4 program sound from scratch and then assemble them in a single COMBI to get the mix, EQ and effects I wanted. Once I was happy I resampled everything back down to a single program sound.

What do you think ?. Sound pretty darn close to me.

Regards.
Sharp.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work sharp. i would say that there is too much HIGH freq EQing. it seems to me that in the D50 they was a kind of mallet sound behind the pizzi sound maybe you should try to add it (very far behind, regarding level).

but, nice work, we know that you are a skilled guy on sound design Wink))
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding good Sharp

RCIA is correct,one of the Tones within the D50 Patch is actually an Agogo.There is also 2 tones which sound like Synth Brass with a dull tone and also a Pizz tone which make up the 4 elements of the Patch

Here is a quick Audio demo of each of the single tones used and then them altogether(I didn't turn off the Reverb)but at least you can hear the 4 individual tones which make up the full sound

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=835209579.wav
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I have it how I want at this point.

http://www.irishacts.com/misc/orinoco-flow-v2.mp3

And there's the actual Progarm sound in both M3 and OASYS format.

http://www.korgforums.com/support/oasys/orinoco.zip

Enjoy, and thanks for the help.

Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: