Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg R3, noise/hiss when recording in LogicPro with MIDI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pg005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Korg R3, noise/hiss when recording in LogicPro with MIDI Reply with quote

I am trying to record my Korg R3 on my MacBook Pro using Apple LogicPro. If I attach the R3 on its own via an Alesis Linelink it records fine as soon as I attach it to the laptop via a MIDI interface or the USB interfaces I get noise/hiss appearing on the recording. Have tried the following configurations:

Config-1
Korg R3 > L/R Output > Alesis Linelink > MacBookPro USB
Korg R3 > USB(MIDI In/Out) > MacBook Pro USB

This will produce the hiss when I open an audio track in Logic to either monitor or record and will record the hiss on the track.

Config-2
Korg R3 > MIDI In/Out > EMU MIDI Out/In > MacBook Pro USB

This will also produce the hiss when I open an audio track in Logic to either monitor or record and will record the hiss on the track.

Config-3
Korg R3 > MIDI Out > EMU MIDI In > MacBook Pro USB

In this config the MIDI Out from the EMU has been electrically disconnected from the MIDI In of the Korg. In this config I can drive software instruments and record the R3 with a clean signal, no hiss.

I have swapped the R3 in the above scenarios with a Yamaha DX100 and do not get any hiss whatsoever. I fear that the R3 is faulty (only bought it two weeks ago). Any suggestions as to what may be wrong here. Thanks.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue that you are describing is common in keyboards with certain types of serial interfaces.

the 'hiss' you are describing - is it usually acompanied by a slight high pitched noise?

maybe you could provide us with a recording?
I think it is to do with the data rate of the transmission lines. particularly with USB or MIDI connections.

check that your cables aren't too close to your data cables, and possibly try a ferrite core if you can find one (those little magnetic lumps they put on some data leads).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
pg005

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Korg R3, noise/hiss when recording in LogicPro with MIDI Reply with quote

I have emailed you with a recording of no background hiss and then one with hiss, so appreciate any ideas that you may have. I checked the cables and the audio/power are very much separated from the data cables. Note that the USB data cable had ferrite cores at either end.

Note also that the hissing occurred in Logic Pro, Abletone Live LE and Garageband.
GWGumby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar occurrence. When I plug my R3 in through MIDI in/out or USB, it seems to create some type of feedback loop that produces a high-pitch hum output. The only way I have been able to get rid of it was through routing the MIDI through another keyboard using its MIDI Through port. With another machine in the middle, it stopped the feedback.
pg005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Korg R3, noise/hiss when recording in LogicPro with MIDI Reply with quote

This has been fixed with some help from the Apple Logic forum. Turned out the problem was a ground loop issue between the R3 and the MacBook. Spotted this article in the Apple forums which helped:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2743?viewlocale=en_US

I then purchased the following ground loop isolator which removed the noise:

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=103&cat=13&type=90

Thanks to everyone for there help on this one.
GWGumby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your configuration, where do you put the ground loop isolator exactly?
pg005

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Korg R3, noise/hiss when recording in LogicPro with MIDI Reply with quote

I connected the two 1/4inch L/R outputs from the R3 into the input stage of the isolator. I then connected the Alesis Linelink (two 1/4inch connectors) to the output stage of the isolator. The Alesis and the R3 were then connected to two separate USB ports. I haven't tried my EMU MIDI interface in this config yet but I anticipate that the problem will be solved with that as well.
awilx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

purchased a art cleanbox hum eliminator today £40, still got the hissing noise, please help.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem Reply with quote

awilx wrote:
purchased a art cleanbox hum eliminator today £40, still got the hissing noise, please help.

You just wasted £40. Hum is not hiss. The problem is likely due to a noisy powersupply on your computer. What happens when you disconnect the AC adapter and run off batteries? You can also try using a regular midi connection using midi cables instead of USB. Powersupply noise is more easily transmitted over the USB ground.
DJ Ki-Fi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some other R3 user's topics about hissing noises when MIDI is connected, and almost all off them has a Mac. Coincidence?
awilx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: kind of sorted the problem Reply with quote

i have used normal midi cables in/out through my sound card, so now ableton can sequence it without the hiss, just going to have to use the usb when using the r3 editing software and not route the audio into my mac.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs and Macs both have problems with noisy grounds when working with audio gear. The problem is that they use switching powersupplies that often transmit noise over ground that doesn't affect how the computer operates internally, but can affect devices that are hooked to an external ground that hasn't been filtered well from the powersupply switching circuit. On desktop PCs that use standard powersupplies, you can buy high quality replacement P/S that eliminate this problem. On laptops, you're stuck with a proprietary P/S design.

So this is one thing that should be tested right away when you get a laptop for use with audio gear - since it cannot be fixed if the P/S design is causing the noise.
pg005

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem Reply with quote

awilx wrote:

Did you look at the Apple forum link to see if the noise types that they quoted are similar to the problem that you are experiencing. If you are interested this is the help I received from the Apple forum on this specific issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9860545#9860545

I agree that hum is not the same as hiss however the noise that I experienced was aligned to processor activity on the Macbook and diminished when running on batteries. I tried the set-up on a older generation Macbook with the same power supply and the problem was not as bad.
anclibertees

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: R3 and Onyx Blackjack interface Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, I have a korg R3 synth and a Mackie Onyx Blackjack usb interface. The problem is that when I have the USB for the R3 connected to run the midi and the R3 outs connected to the blackjack in's, there is bad noise, this stops when I unplug the R3's USB. I thought it may be the R3's power connector getting a bad earth but it is still there when unplugged. I can record very clean without the R3 USB connected. I would use the standard midi but the Blackjack does not have midi fuctionality. It is as if the 2 USB connections are out of phase or something, maybe it is the USB power line, does anyone know if you can get USB cables without the power line or have another solution.
Help Please
anclibertees

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: sorted now another problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have sorted the noise problem by disconnecting the power on the USB plug(I put tape over pin 1) no more noise.

Now I have a problem with the midi, maybe this should be in another post, please advise if that is so.

The problem is when I try to active midi in my software. The software is Acid pro and it says that the system is low on memory even though I have 8gig and only other aplication running is the R3 software, the midi does not run at all, the R3 is set to USB midi and external clock. The R3 shows up in the midi section of Acid pro preferences but no midi.

Any ideas?

L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: