Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best practices for recording samples for keyboard playback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Best practices for recording samples for keyboard playback? Reply with quote

To give a bit of background, I have under 2 years experience with keyboards and am starting to move beyond using only stock presets. I'm also learning synthesis (I understand the theory of subtractive and FM synthesis and am working on applying it to create good-sounding sounds). I have a few synth VSTs that are much more complex than my Korg TR or the very basic synth on my Nord Stage, and I have software like NI Kontakt that has extensive libraries. It's not hard to come up with something on my computer that I can't reproduce using waveform ROM on the TR, so I want to be able to sample certain instruments in order to use them on my TR in a performance situation. My laptop isn't in great condition and I don't trust it when gigging, and I don't have the cash for a Receptor to just take the whole set of VSTs on the road; sampling is my only option other than making do with the waveform ROM.

I've been reading stuff here and in general over the Internet and haven't found much in the way of tips or guides for the process of sampling instruments for pitched playback on a keyboard. From reading other threads here, I understand the basics of using AWave Studio to organize the audio files I create, and I understand the basics of how to load multisamples into the TR.

Basically, if I'm handed a bunch of processed samples, I should be able to do the right thing with them, but I'm not sure how to go about recording the samples myself.

Some questions:

1) Do I want to record each note in the range I'll be using? If I want to save memory, is it better to cheat and record every other note? Less than that?

2) If I'm playing a synth VST, it'll have its own envelope. What part of that envelope do I want to sample? How long do I want to hold the key down for? Do I only want to sample the sustain phase (using the TR to program in attack and decay), or do I also want to capture the initial attack and decay?

3) How would I want to make use of loop points? I'd imagine I'd want to set the loop point to be within the sustain phase.

4) How does the release phase work with a sample? Does it just fade the sound out over the specified amount of time as I release the key? What if the synth I'm recording does something different?

I welcome answers to my questions, as well as any other useful tips anyone more experienced could offer.
biggrime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to checkout this youtube i posted on how to copy vst sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRZAZ0jC_0

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
simonced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm not sure to be really abble to answer well at your question as Sampling is something new for me, but I like to play samples too and here is how I do.
I don't have the same gear as you, I use a MiccrokorgXL + Electribe ESX.
I sample a sound on the ESX, usually the sustain part, but for more complexe and realistic sounds, I leave the original attack and decay part.
Then, I find a loop point (start of my sustain when I'll play it) and it will loop until the end of the sample.
Then, on ESX, I can choose different attacks if I want to change them, and the release too (but I need to use the gateTime knob to change it from sustain to short release).
I play these samples usually on 2 octaves, and I didn't notice pitch problems.

I control that from my MKXL connected in Midi.
You can certainly control the filters and all the electribe parameters by Midi with your TR I think, like I do with the MKXL.

So for live performance, it's a simple set up I think, and affordable (I got my ESX second hand for half the retail price).

I hope I could have helped you better, good luck in your sampling experimentations Wink
KP3
My stuff : http://soundcloud.com/simonced
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: