Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best tubes for the ESX?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klikko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: The best tubes for the ESX? Reply with quote

Hi fellow electribers Cool

I got my esx for not so long ago, and now its time to get some tubes maaaaaaan. Very Happy

So.. if i have understood right, changing tubes does not do as much for the esx as the emx. Some says that the difference is huge on the esx, others says it is not so much difference and that you shouldnt esxpect to much.

ANyways i did order some tubes yesterday. The sound in my esx is just to muddy i think. So what im after is just a cleaner and more clear sound.

I did order these : http://www.jjtubes.eu/product_info.php?products_id=902

What do you guys think about those? Any other suggestions?
Hope someone who have the esx with new tubes can give us esx-freaks some info on this

thanks Wink Cool
novation nocturn
m-audio key-station 49e
plosive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have those in my esx..

you can get more gain with less distortion with those tubes.. which'll help you lower your noise floor overall when you're trying to boost your output.

as far as tube drive/distortion goes.. i dont really use them for that, but the few times i do its mostly for bass or synth/key parts as they would be on a emx.
klikko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for replying Smile

Lowering the noise overall and getting less distortion is what im after, so that sounds good Very Happy

Cant wait to get them..

Btw i came across this article : http://www.jacmusic.com/JJ/803S-FAKE/index.html

Here is another VERY interesting detail. TESLA used a metal piece part this is mounted on top of the mica. I can only speculate what it was for. It think it is to reduce microphonic effects. JJ just left that part away. Here comes the interesting part.... JJ tubes do have holes for this piecepart. But it's not mounted.

With TESLA, on this top bar, the getter ring is mounted, very nice done. With JJ, they just plugged a metal wire between the plate halves, and mount the ring on there. Sorry, but this is not so nice done. With JJ, if you knock the tube (gently...) the getter ring will say "dingggggg" and the ring noise is conducted to one of the two plates. The one that it is mounted on. With TESLA this noise is better isolated mechanically because the getter ring is mounted not on the plate but on a separate part. Since the 803S is a studio version, that makes sense to me. But I say it again, this confirms what I allways say, that original TESLA. quality is much superior to JJ.

Confused

That wasnt exactly cool to read.. I hope this guy isnt right, but if he is, how much of a difference does it make do you think?
novation nocturn
m-audio key-station 49e
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try groove tubes Ecc-83 ... thats what i hav and they sound fantasic .

Smooth at lowest level but hav a nice fizzly effect higher up .. rather than the standard dense ringy overblown distortion of the original tubes .

Upto you ... i would put money on it that you wouldnt be dissapointed .

"Groove tubes Ecc-83" ... i say !!
supermel74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the JJ ECC83S Gold Pins and they work great.
klikko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okei thanx. Ive already ordered a couple of 803s. They have long plates, the 83s have short ones. What is the difference really?
novation nocturn
m-audio key-station 49e
Yatmandu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 83s. As for the difference, Ruso looked into this and posted either here or his forum what the differences were. So do a search on 803S and Ruso and you'll probably find it.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that 83S will provide some distortion... which is kind of nice on an esx since it does not have an overdrive knob...

The 803S's will really really really sing on an emx with an organic metalic tone, especially with the overdrive knob cranked up on basslines Smile

http://myspace.com/audioruso
klikko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Think

I hope the 803s will do it on the esx aswell. Im not really after distortion. My main concern now is getting rid of uneccesary distortion and getting better sound quality. Im really waiting for those tubes Shocked

Someone wrote in a post that getting gold cables from the esx to the soundcard/whatever - will get rid of a lot of noise. If thats the case, im gonna buy some new cables, but where can i buy golden plated cables for a nice price? Ive checked a little bit on ebay, but im not sure what to go for.

If someone have any inputs on tubes and cables, please post
Wink
novation nocturn
m-audio key-station 49e
Dj Pound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12" Gold plated 1/4" RCA cables from radio shack usually run around 10 dollars. Thats the kind I use and they work and sound great.
MicroStation
MicroKorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
klikko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Smile

Got my new tubes, and i gotta say the improvement is great. No distortion at ALL. I run the tube level at max all the time to Very Happy

So i gotta say this is a MUST upgrade for all the electribe users. Im a little curious how the 83s sounds, but i dont think i will bother buying a new set for a while.

Thank you all for replying Applause

Now.. back to my esx! Dancing
novation nocturn
m-audio key-station 49e
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would all just a bit more filth to the machine... in a good way. Not the annoying stock tube distortion.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: