Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triggering samples in the KP3 using an external keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lava

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Triggering samples in the KP3 using an external keyboard Reply with quote

So I checked the KP3 I recently bought, it's up to date on firmware 2.0. I explored all the sample trigger options with the pads, settling on the one that allows retriggering of samples from the beginning every time you press a pad, regardless of clock. I did this because I wanted to trigger the internal samples from an external keyboard/sequencer, a workaround since my KP3, even when set to external clock, doesn't even remotely sync to the master MIDI clock I'm giving it from my JD-Xi.

But it seems that the trigger settings internal to the KP3 are not applicable to an incoming midi note from an external source? When I press a key on the JD, it triggers the sample from wherever it is in its free-running loop, and it keeps going even when I let up on the key. If I press the key a second time it will turn the sample off. Again, this happens even if I've set the KP3 to retrigger on pad press. And in fact it does work just fine that way on the KP3 pads themselves, just not from the JD's keyboard.

Hopefully this is just some setting I'm missing?
lava

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to put it another way:

What are the settings required on the KP3 to allow an external keyboard to play the internal samples, starting from the beginning of the sample every time a key is depressed and playing the sample for only as long as the key is held?
lava

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress: I figured out how to set up the KP3 so that each time I press a key on the JD-Xi the sample on the KP retriggers from the beginning and plays through one time. Would be nice if the sample played only as long as I kept the key depressed, but I can live with it like this.

Still one last hurdle remains - the KP plays samples just fine when I press the keys on the JD, but if I program the JD's sequencer with the same note, same midi channel, the samples do not play. Is there some minimum note on time value required before it will recognize a note from a sequencer? What am I missing?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there lava.
There is a setting on the KP3 for note on as long as key press.There is 4 options in the edit sample page and its one of them in v2 .probably the one straight after your current setting.
With your last question it sounds like a setting on your JD. Something to do with sequencer messages being pre or post midi out...maybe? It's not a setting on the kp3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: