Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tips and suggestions for OS update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
dead volume.. could u tell me how u switch patterns with your korg padkontrol?

You can do it in two ways.

I don't have the manual handy and I'm at work right now (don't have internet at home at the moment), so for the actual figures look in the manual.

The first is to send CC#98 and 99 (NRPN lsb and msb) as it says in the manual, the value of each of these corresponding to pattern change.

You only have to send them once after turning the microsampler on.
This then preps it to receive CC#6, again the value of which corresponds to the pattern you want (this is tabulated in the manual).

I personally replace the 98, 99 step with sysex, you only need push one button instead of two and it's global so you can send it whatever scene you're in.

The sampler's manual states a line of sysex for each function (i.e. pattern change), written in the format:

[Bn,mm,vv,Bn,mm,vv,Bn,mm,vv]

In the padkontrol editor's global menu there's a user sysex list, write in an empty slot the first two parts of the thing in brackets above i.e.

Bn mm vv Bn mm vv

Type it in this exact format, no commas just spaces, and the B has to be upper case as well, n corresponds to the microSAMPLER's global midi channel where channel 1 corresponds to n=0.

If you've done this right, all you have to do is send the sysex message once, this sets the sampler up to control pattern no. every time it receives CC#6 as before.

I save space on my scenes using the top four pads set to toggle, and different note on and note off values for CC#6, giving me effectively 8 different changes for just four pads. This gives me the rest of the pad kontrol for bashing out beats etc. without the need to change scenes.

I'll write down the exact figures tonight and get back to you if you have any problems.
jtag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadVolume wrote:
jtag wrote:

Am I alone on this? Do everyone use only overlappin samples??? Im still on my own that this should be a major fix ...

I pointed this out on page 1.
It's a bit crap I know.

Crap is correct, honestly its the first time im considerin to get rid of one of my Korgs, and if there wont be any quick main update i will
jbl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtag wrote:
DeadVolume wrote:
jtag wrote:

Am I alone on this? Do everyone use only overlappin samples??? Im still on my own that this should be a major fix ...

I pointed this out on page 1.
It's a bit crap I know.

Crap is correct, honestly its the first time im considerin to get rid of one of my Korgs, and if there wont be any quick main update i will

do you roland sp-xxx much? it's not an mpc but...
i mean mute groups are pretty over-rated, isn't that what you want: mute groups? the only other 'sampler' that i can think of with mute groups would be the sp-808 (other than mpc's) and those sold for way more than the microsam@pler. if they include it; cool but i would much rather have some software that wasn't such crap.

repeat: the software is crap; and an easy fix. why can't i save parameters? why can't I load a bank, without going through a three part process. why won't it export 44.1 khz (seriously)? why won't it work with other daws? come on Korg, get in the technological ring.
jtag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm i think its already too late without a quick update, everyone know its crap, the future of this fisherprice sampler wont be bright ...
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

multi-sampling, i think thats what its called.

being able to record 3 or 6 (ie 1 or 2 for each octave) evenly spread samples of piano, strings etc. then having a hidden (as in no keyboard shortcut) parameter in the samples menu where you can group those for use when spreading across the keys in keyboard in 'keyboard mode'.

at the moment 'keyboard' mode sounds awful, especially the higher pitched notes. its pretty much useless excet for a few synths and drums.

it was advertised as being able to do this well. but it doesnt, and the people who have labelled it a toy have a point here, it does sound like my casio sk-5.....surely a company like korg has moved on since then?!?!?!?

i'd hope to be able to have strings,mellotron and piano (taken from sample libraries on pc) in one bank for live use, via the 'keyboard' mode,.....
but im finding im having to sample in a full two octaves of samples of piano etc, leaving me very few sample keys left for anything else or to mess about/resample on.......another big let down with this machine.....you'd think the fact it has keys would mean they had really sunk their teeth in to them being useful in a musical way....not just black and white pads.......in some ways my 404 and a midi keyboard did a better job. at least then i could sample whole octaves of instruments but still have access to the other banks etc and not be running out of samples for live songs and experimentation......

come on korg, sort it out. SOON!!!! there are way too many things on this wish list, even if they can sort three quarters of them i'll change my tune, but at the moment im half regretting not going for a laptop and keyboard/interface combo like the x-station or something......they've marketed it as an 'all-in-one', but it's not a very good solution without some fixes..
3sleeves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jtag"][quote="jtag"]Ok i cant believe it ... no MONO/poly choice of playin samples??? no samples cutting each other?? I mean this is BASIC for:
DRUMS, MONOPHONIC SYNTHS! and even classic sampled material, almost everything! Or should i use this baby just to sample on the fly??? Honestly the gear is missin things but this is HUGE, and i cant see a workaround ...[/quote]
Am I alone on this? Do everyone use only overlappin samples??? Im still on my own that this should be a major fix ...[/quote]

I know what you're saying, but honestly it's easy to achieve a similar sound by setting the sample release point at say 20 or less and just letting go of a key when you want it to stop. I wouldn't mind a remedy for this, but I don't see this as a huge issue personally.
My main complaint is the inconvenience of the knobs for fine tuning. I don't like how the slightest bump of the knob can throw the current parameter setting totally off. Maybe if you could tweak the FX parameters on the computer and have them control the keyboard in real time this would not be a big deal. The shift key functions are handy for selecting, but are still not perfected yet.
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~bounce~

im pushing this back up the board as people have started using another 'os updates and suggestions' thread, this one has had much more input from members.....
microboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: ABSOLUTELY TO BE UPDATED/FIXED Reply with quote

EDITOR:

SAMPLE SECTION

it would be amazing to have a PARTIAL LOOP function:

so you can save the attack of the waveform and loop only the body of the sample.. avoiding the premature end of the sound on high notes..

the zoom possible with mause scroll: without clicking on the fu****g arrow

snap to zero point and zoom deeper on the wave: avoiding to become blind and get perfect cutting sample

would be nice to have PORTAMENTO function

PATTERN SECTION

GRAPHIC SEQUENCER (like KORG DS - 10 maybe?) with solo and mute button, velocity Sample/Track Mixerr and quantization grid at least!

having a graphic sequencer for creating pattern when connected to computer, cold be very nice!

the pattern section should record at lest DRUM SEQUENCE + 2 TRACKS like KORG DS-10 so Sequencer could get some more sense

MICROSAMPLER

updating EDITOR/LIBRARIAN Software and making a new firmware with thoose new functions in MICROSAMPLER, would be already a GIANT STEP!

my opinion

MB
shabby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: update suggestion Reply with quote

the possibility to have an fx setting for partition, so every partition can have it's seperate fx, it would only take somekind of programme message and the switching is quite fast anyway
microboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: I ADVISE:: Reply with quote

I Think EDITOR Needs to be UPDATED

I record my samples MONO at 24 Khz so i have a bit more then 8 seconds per Key

right? so..

GRID WITH BEATS OR SECONDS LENGHT WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATE! to check exactly how long is my sample or my beat

but telling the truth, best thing to do would be a PARTIAL LOOP function

so i will not care about seconds anymore as i can loop a part o f my sample just long 2 seconds and have it playing endlessly!!!!!!!

My YAMAHA SU-10 gots this function and is very very useful...

i wish someone from korg can read thoose suggestion, and hope they will care about us!

regards
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post.
I have yet to get mine, but I don't think I have any illusions to this being much beyond an advanced toy - a modern SK-1, if you will. I envision the Microsampler being something I sketch with, maybe use lightly at gigs, but certainly not make into an integral part of my set up.

The initial sale price of $750 US and the sudden plunge to $500 US (with another drop sure to follow in the next year) tells me that Korg had bigger ideas than what they produced and it seems very "rushed to Christmas". I'm wondering how much Korg is making off each unit sold because, if they're just breaking even or taking a loss, I'm afraid what you see is what you get.

It's got good industry reviews, but that's to be expected with Korg buying advertising space. The real reviews are usually tacked on to the front of a companies 'newer better' product review as a pitch.

The believable reviews are here and places like here. And the NAYS seem to outweigh the YEAS.

I'm going to say that it seems like the 'Micro' series is aimed at beginners and dabblers - not serious samplists (?). The same people who bought the Microkorg to augment their bands 'New Wave' edge who will likely be growing their hair out as we speak in anticipation of the coming grunge revival Very Happy .

My point is, with the above taken into consideration, can we honestly expect any kind of OS update? I think we can reasonably expect a software update but beyond that, I'm not so sure. The question is simple: Is there any money in it for Korg? Will an OS update boost sales of the Microsampler more than if they just forged ahead and did a Microsampler MX or whatever with all issues addressed sold for 200 dollars extra?

For the sake of clarity, I think we should have a poll with the concerns expressed in this thread so we can have a list of issues in order of importance. We can then use this as a template to appeal to Korg - if enough people send in a unified complaint, I think our chances of getting an OS update is better.

Thanks for being here,
Mars
shabby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the MS is def. more than a toy..so i must disagree on your view.. we all expect a total solution within one machine and for the max. 350 €.. this is so now, and quite spoiled (i am also talking bout myself here).. so lets try to leave the track of making this the perfect all in one solution..

Almost all companies have lost their strenght in updates and os improvements in favour of a new product.. at mofo namm or whatever.....

some minor fixes / implementations will make the machine for me a great tool (it is already my main machine in my live / compsing set). i think after working with the ms for some months, the following will be possible within the design and delevering the goods as they (korg) promised in their marketing campaing..

0. FIRST OF ALL WE NEED A EMAIL ADRESS TO SEND OUR SUGGESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS TO.. WHO HAS IT!!!

A. ESSENTIALS

1. auto loop function

(now i still use my KP3 for this). i think the major drawback for using it as a live looping tool. it is impossible to make a beat and sample the beat and have it loop directly afer the sample process.. the KP3 proofs it is within the machines frame (i think MS AND KP3 share large part of the same main frame)

2. proper midi implementation.. or RELEASE A PROPER MIDI MANUAL of the current implementation

the manual talks a bout sysex and nrpn's but is very bad written on how it is supposed to be programmed.. the way it is organised on the MS itself is nice if u are assembling material and making some sketch, but for real compising and live creation it needs porper midi control..

making the ms a real loop live sound mangle tool needs the midi.. i manage by midi caputuring the sysex from the MS to have some stuf on my controller thru sysex.. real manipulating decay and release, reverse and loop plus tune and semitone make a sample a source more material variation

midi controlling Level. makes it possible to slowly fade in the sperate samples for sound scoring or soundcapes.. whatever.. u do..

3. Volume settings for metronome
it makes your ear bleed

4. headphones only playback of metronome
a must for live the audience not having to hear ur click.

B. Some less urgent but nice tingies:

5. the rom bank be a ram bank, we do not need those lame sounds!!
at least give us some rom packs to choose from..

before anyone starts adding.. stuff like wings.. multitimbral sampling... remember to ask yourself the question:

IS IT IN THE MECHANICAL / ELECTRONICAL MAINFRAME OF THE MS

peace!!!
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars - I posted a satisfaction poll a few threads ago.

It would be nice to have some kind of official response to the main criticisms from KORG - but maybe they have no answers that they think we would want to hear at this point.
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyd,
My idea for a poll is of what we'd most like to see in a Firmware update, rather than customer satisfaction. So, it's a different poll, I think.

Shabby,
I think too many folks here expected something a bit more sophisticated, possibly due to the outlandish launch price. I still think the current price is the main reason folks are losing their minds over the list of limitations. It has less functionality than an ES1 had at the same price and that's 10 years old already.

It's not going to be the center of most samplist's rigs, it's going to be a peripheral tool with a specific function - and auto looping ain't it.

I'm having few issues with what I've read - I'm an experimental artist, so beat syncing and what not is not as important to me as it would be to a dance artist as I'm probably using it in a more textural manner. I still wouldn't make the Microsampler my main board, but it will certainly have a useful place in my set up. As I said, I'm not counting on a firmware update.

Also, when I say 'toy' I mean I'm keeping my expectations reasonable - it's not my Emax II.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - my bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: