Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tips and suggestions for OS update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shabby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in global / edit. you can turn the metronome of, what is really horrible is the volume of the metronome. it is soo loud u can hardly hear the beats u are making let alone soft passages...
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the metronome (and quantize) to make my own click track using my own samples, then turn it off. Once you've laid down a proper beat you can remove the samples keeping time.

I usualy keep my own metronome patterns (i've got ones for 3/4, 5/4 and 7/4 time as well) on an unused bank and just copy them across when I need them. My loops are usually all the same length anyway.
shabby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx, good tip, but abit hard if u make/jam a 99 measures sequence
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: som more suggestions / bugs / Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
when u use the sequencer the loop button does not work whilst recording, it doesn during playback.

i just noticed this too. lame. loops played over the pattern are cutting after one cycle...

and i am getting really frustrated with the 'sample' wheel now.....PLEASE update so i can hold down the 'keyboard' button and select the sample/key i want to spread across the synth....seems mad that that wasn't thought of as the obvious 'alt' method from day one....will be a nightmare trying to pick the right sounds on the fly at a gig......

i'm 50/50 on this machine at the moment, i'm hoping i just need to get inside the way it thinks and adapt to it, i've not had much time with it so far, hoping others have had more luck and some videos and workarounds/tips start appearing..........
Trisfx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humby wrote:
just adding my post from another thread to make sure it makes it to the OS update requests (thanks beatifictatter)

>>
I think the unit is great but I was a bit disappointed to discover that it is lacking Attack and Portamento which I think are hugely useful functions (and I think pretty basic - even my ancient Casio SK-1 has these).

If there is any way you could add these features in a future OS update it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

YES PLEASE, ATTACK time!!! BASIC sampler feature!!! Not having attack time is very bad...
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mute function....

VERY annoying that when you un-mute a sample/loop in a patttern it doesnt play/isnt audible again straight away 'from that point', you have to wait until it's next pass when its triggered from its beginning.....so you cant cut in and out of samples using mute, which is lame and defo something for the update.....

and i assumed it would work outside of the sequencer too...just realised it doesnt.....why not? surely it's just as useful to be able to mute/un-mute any loops you have triggered on the keys? same way as you can on 404 etc....
jtag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i cant believe it ... no MONO/poly choice of playin samples??? no samples cutting each other?? I mean this is BASIC for:
DRUMS, MONOPHONIC SYNTHS! and even classic sampled material, almost everything! Or should i use this baby just to sample on the fly??? Honestly the gear is missin things but this is HUGE, and i cant see a workaround ...
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: som more suggestions / bugs / Reply with quote

beatifictatter wrote:
shabby wrote:
when u use the sequencer the loop button does not work whilst recording, it doesn during playback.

and i am getting really frustrated with the 'sample' wheel now.....PLEASE update so i can hold down the 'keyboard' button and select the sample/key i want to spread across the synth....seems mad that that wasn't thought of as the obvious 'alt' method from day one....will be a nightmare trying to pick the right sounds on the fly at a gig......

My thoughts exactly, down to the letter.

The pattern wheel is a bit crap as well. I use the padKONTROL for that now with a scene deditated to all 16 patterns, it's the perfect controller for the microSAMPLER. Great for bashing out beats, and I got the X-Y pad controlling the effect parameters.
You could even mix and match between notes and switching patterns on the same scene, pads 1-4 for switching patterns and the rest for notes.

It's just a pitty there aren't more assignable CC#s, the whole thing just feels a bit claustrophobic with all those menus and utterly useless rotaries. As you said, selecting the keyboard mode sample is a f@cking nightmare on the fly. If there was a dedicated controller for it I could set up a scene or have a row of pads on the pad kontrol to instantly switch instruments as well.

I think this thing was made as a standalone DJ tool, with the assumption that DJ's know eff-all about MIDI.

Has anyone got a microKORG? Have you seen the way they handled MIDI there, that pisses all over this. Not only did almost every parameter on it have a CC#, but you could freely change every single assignment of these CC#s to any paramter you wanted.

Last edited by DeadVolume on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatifictatter wrote:
mute function....

VERY annoying that when you un-mute a sample/loop in a patttern it doesnt play/isnt audible again straight away 'from that point', you have to wait until it's next pass when its triggered from its beginning.....so you cant cut in and out of samples using mute, which is lame and defo something for the update.....

and i assumed it would work outside of the sequencer too...just realised it doesnt.....why not? surely it's just as useful to be able to mute/un-mute any loops you have triggered on the keys? same way as you can on 404 etc....

That mute is only for MIDI note messages, not audio playback, so I can't see any way they could do that. They could maybe send a note off message when mute is engaged, but probably nothing for unmuting. For the time being you could just try unmuting in advance, knowing when the sample would be played back.
jtag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtag wrote:
Ok i cant believe it ... no MONO/poly choice of playin samples??? no samples cutting each other?? I mean this is BASIC for:
DRUMS, MONOPHONIC SYNTHS! and even classic sampled material, almost everything! Or should i use this baby just to sample on the fly??? Honestly the gear is missin things but this is HUGE, and i cant see a workaround ...

Am I alone on this? Do everyone use only overlappin samples??? Im still on my own that this should be a major fix ...
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtag wrote:

Am I alone on this? Do everyone use only overlappin samples??? Im still on my own that this should be a major fix ...

I pointed this out on page 1.
It's a bit crap I know.
shabby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dead volume.. could u tell me how u switch patterns with your korg padkontrol?
DeadVolume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
dead volume.. could u tell me how u switch patterns with your korg padkontrol?

You can do it in two ways.

I don't have the manual handy and I'm at work right now (don't have internet at home at the moment), so for the actual figures look in the manual.

The first is to send CC#98 and 99 (NRPN lsb and msb) as it says in the manual, the value of each of these corresponding to pattern change.

You only have to send them once after turning the microsampler on.
This then preps it to receive CC#6, again the value of which corresponds to the pattern you want (this is tabulated in the manual).

I personally replace the 98, 99 step with sysex, you only need push one button instead of two and it's global so you can send it whatever scene you're in.

The sampler's manual states a line of sysex for each function (i.e. pattern change), written in the format:

[Bn,mm,vv,Bn,mm,vv,Bn,mm,vv]

In the padkontrol editor's global menu there's a user sysex list, write in an empty slot the first two parts of the thing in brackets above i.e.

Bn mm vv Bn mm vv

Type it in this exact format, no commas just spaces, and the B has to be upper case as well, n corresponds to the microSAMPLER's global midi channel where channel 1 corresponds to n=0.

If you've done this right, all you have to do is send the sysex message once, this sets the sampler up to control pattern no. every time it receives CC#6 as before.

I save space on my scenes using the top four pads set to toggle, and different note on and note off values for CC#6, giving me effectively 8 different changes for just four pads. This gives me the rest of the pad kontrol for bashing out beats etc. without the need to change scenes.

I'll write down the exact figures tonight and get back to you if you have any problems.
jtag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadVolume wrote:
jtag wrote:

It's a bit crap I know.

Crap is correct, honestly its the first time im considerin to get rid of one of my Korgs, and if there wont be any quick main update i will
jbl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtag wrote:
DeadVolume wrote:
jtag wrote:

It's a bit crap I know.

Crap is correct, honestly its the first time im considerin to get rid of one of my Korgs, and if there wont be any quick main update i will

do you roland sp-xxx much? it's not an mpc but...
i mean mute groups are pretty over-rated, isn't that what you want: mute groups? the only other 'sampler' that i can think of with mute groups would be the sp-808 (other than mpc's) and those sold for way more than the microsam@pler. if they include it; cool but i would much rather have some software that wasn't such crap.

repeat: the software is crap; and an easy fix. why can't i save parameters? why can't I load a bank, without going through a three part process. why won't it export 44.1 khz (seriously)? why won't it work with other daws? come on Korg, get in the technological ring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: