Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looper effect LAME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: looper effect LAME Reply with quote

after reading all this from a guy from korg on the forum link below i was expecting this synth/sampler to have a solid looper that could be used effectively and accurately. i dont know how anyone else is getting on with this but it's a mess as far as i can see.....
i just want to simply press record (be able to set it to trigger as with normal sample options etc) , have the damn thing record whatever is going in the mic/line, or whatever is played on the keys, and then hit a button and the phrase then loop with that end point and then i add more layers. but the looper on this machine SUCKS. can anyone give me advice that might make me like this or even find it usable in any practical sense? DEFINITE OS update fix needed as far as i can see....using the dials to specify play/rec/dub sucks. the short length limit sucks. the innacuracy sucks. the odd logic of whats actually recording/recordable and where its going sucks.....surely korg should have learned from all the other hardware samplers shortcomings, not added to them.....for the money this unit should do this all, and do it well.....the technology is in pretty much every single DAW on the market....korg, please get it in this hardware....

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?s=7850f82dd61e6e56ab597bd9802b253c&t=2432660&page=4
shabby

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rather have the usual sample looped and playing after sampling, thus make the whole looping effect not needed.. some more parameters/ possibitities on congrol 1 and 2

i gonna ry the looper with my chaos pad as a controller this week. see if this makes it more usable
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that would work as well....
if you could just record a sample/loop to a key, then have it play back and loop and then hit another key to activate it and get it looping the same length, ready to sample and then add a layer on that key (without also resampling the original sample), and then another key/layer, and another etc etc.....would be a great workflow......
shabby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we will have to stay within their concept of the OS and rather try to persuade them to advance this rather han to ask a new workflow, but it is agood idea, altough abit confusing afer some loops. but it could really well be done with midi controller messages..
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree, if they can just tighten up things as they are that would be a start....
shabby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i tried the looper effect shortly with the kaosspad 2 and it works quite ok. BUT totally random, if i tried to get a grip on what i am actually doing it does not work. the fx seems to be on off by tapping the kaosspad. i think the machine needs a serious midi implementation to solve his
jbl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldn't get it to do what i thought it should. it's just named incorrectly because it's not what i think of when i hear the tern looper. oh well.
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. it is totally random, no way you can rely on it to do what you have in mind in terms of start and end of phrase timing....
and yeah, its just incorrectly/misleading name.....its very much like the looper fx on the sp404, basically just pretty good for glitching/stuttering things up etc....

the thing that annoys me is that from what i had read i was led to believe it was going to be useful in the same way as loop pedal etc....(hit the link in my original post and read what the guy from korg has to say....warped truth)

it would be great, and i imagine pretty easily possible, if you could :

record a loop. WITH ability to hear metronome....
then have the loop play and tell the machine how many passes to make (ie, the option to select a number between 1 and 10 times playing through, so as to give yourself a couple of dummy runs/come up with ideas) on rec standby before it would automatically go in to record on the specified pass, and that pass be recorded to a new layer, and then repeat the process for following layers....so you would record every 5th pass or whatever you have specified and each time you record the sample/loop would go to a new key....
so you'd have a hands-free and 'rock-solid synch/timing' way of getting a load of layers, that you could then resample to one loop or keep the layers seperate to use in patterns and build things up or down through a song.....

i've wanted something to do something like that for a long time now.....
Themaktima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There´s a neat thing you can do with the looper effect to loop external audio.
- Set the effect to "looper"
- Go to sample mode. Hit the key to the right (Audio in) and press the "loop hold" button while holding the key down. Thus, you´ll be monitoring the incoming audio signal continuously.
- Hold down the "Audio in" key once more and press the "fx sw" button to assign the looper effect to this key.
=> The looper effect will now be applied to all external signals. (This works with all effects, of course).

You can then do something like this:
- Set the looper to 4/1 using fx control 1 (of course, it should have been possible to have longer looping times...)
- Switch to keyboard mode and e.g. play an external synth (I do so using Logic; I´ve set the keyboard mode midi channel to "2" and restricted any other midi channel from going through to Logic using the environment) and loop a phrase. If you hear some internal sample sound, make sure that no sample is selected for play with keyboard mode ("sample select" knob)
- Turn the fx control 2 to overdub. Select a different sound from your sound module or DAW, play a different phrase. The looper will stack that sound.

If you´re happy with your loop, you can now resample it!
- select sampling type "key gate"
- press the "re-sample"-button
- press the "sample"-button twice
- hold down the key your loop should be recorded to.

Of course, this will resample everything you hear, including your pattern data. To resample only your loop, simply choose an empty pattern.

One more thing: When you´re playing back your loop with the fx control 2 knob in "loop.play" position, you can mute the external signal (useful if you´re looping a part of a complete song or such, you wouldn´t want to still hear the external signal then while looping). You achieve this by setting the "direct.sw" parameter from the "effects"-menu to "off".

I haven´t found a way to make the metronome available for using it with the loop effect, though.
laikenf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatifictatter wrote:
agreed. it is totally random, no way you can rely on it to do what you have in mind in terms of start and end of phrase timing....
and yeah, its just incorrectly/misleading name.....its very much like the looper fx on the sp404, basically just pretty good for glitching/stuttering things up etc....

the thing that annoys me is that from what i had read i was led to believe it was going to be useful in the same way as loop pedal etc....(hit the link in my original post and read what the guy from korg has to say....warped truth)

it would be great, and i imagine pretty easily possible, if you could :

record a loop. WITH ability to hear metronome....
then have the loop play and tell the machine how many passes to make (ie, the option to select a number between 1 and 10 times playing through, so as to give yourself a couple of dummy runs/come up with ideas) on rec standby before it would automatically go in to record on the specified pass, and that pass be recorded to a new layer, and then repeat the process for following layers....so you would record every 5th pass or whatever you have specified and each time you record the sample/loop would go to a new key....
so you'd have a hands-free and 'rock-solid synch/timing' way of getting a load of layers, that you could then resample to one loop or keep the layers seperate to use in patterns and build things up or down through a song.....

i've wanted something to do something like that for a long time now.....

What loop effect on the SP-404? the BPM looper or the DJFX looper? because with the BPM looper you can set the length of the effect as well as telling it in what sample slice the effect will be kicking in (1- 8 ). Is it possible the Microsampler has such an option? I don't own a MS so I wouldn't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: