Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the M3 do sample and hold like the synths of old?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Can the M3 do sample and hold like the synths of old? Reply with quote

I know this is just a trivial question but I really used to like the sample and hold effects that older analog synthesizer used to do. I was just wondering if the M3 can do this effect or at least approximate it so I could assign it to a sequencer track for a background sound? Thanks.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, LFO has a specific wave for Sample & Hold called "Random (S&H)"
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to ask this but how is this done? I'm still learning where things are at. Is this in the manual somewhere? Thanks.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasperkeys wrote:
I really hate to ask this but how is this done? I'm still learning where things are at. Is this in the manual somewhere? Thanks.

M3 Parameter Guide, page 66. Shows you how the LFO screen works, and even displays visual representations of the various LFO waveforms. You get 7 S&H-type waveforms, plus three continuously-varying "random" waves. (As well as the usual saw, square, triangle, sine, and a couple of oddballs.)
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Citizen Klaus. I appreciate this. Now, on a related subject; when a repeating sample and hold is playing, you can almost discern an underlying base tempo beat. I wonder if the sample and hold track "tempo" can be adjusted independently from the rest of the tracks so a person could "line up" the sample and hold with the drum track tempo. I haven't tried this so maybe it already does this anyway but it was just a passing thought. At any rate, thanks for your guidance.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasperkeys wrote:
Thank you, Citizen Klaus. I appreciate this. Now, on a related subject; when a repeating sample and hold is playing, you can almost discern an underlying base tempo beat. I wonder if the sample and hold track "tempo" can be adjusted independently from the rest of the tracks so a person could "line up" the sample and hold with the drum track tempo.

of course you do.

and it's not "almost" discernable: it's there. The DEFINITION of "sample & hold" involves some kind of regular sampling of the frequency. This "regularity" is a tempo (a low frequency).

You can sync that frequency to a midi value.

there's a slot in the A&H page sor "syncing" the S&H LFO to midi [check page 76 in the M3's Reference guiide for visual help]
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well see? You can learn something new every day. Thanks, Ozy. I appreciate the reference to a page number in the manual. This sounds interesting.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. Why RTFM when somebody is RTFM for you? Wink
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I do read the manual sometimes but sometimes I really have to think (and that's a good thing) about what it's telling me. But like many manual instructions, if you follow the instructions, make something work, you go back and re-read the instructions and then it makes more sense.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasperkeys wrote:
I know. I do read the manual sometimes but sometimes I really have to think (and that's a good thing) about what it's telling me. But like many manual instructions, if you follow the instructions, make something work, you go back and re-read the instructions and then it makes more sense.

a little secret is: keeping a PDF version of the manual on your computer and ctrl-F-ing it for keywords on an as-needed basis.

Curious about S&H? bag! ctrl+f, "sample & hold", hey presto!, there it is.

I don't read 1000 pages reference manuals cover by cover ( Shocked ). I read the basics before buying the machine, then consult them when needed.
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the keyboard shortcut. I was just looking up what on earth an Analogue Systems Spawn was and it sounds pretty interesting, not that I can buy one since at the present time I can only seem to attain some semblance of fiscal solvency every two weeks. Have you got any web links for your music that utilizes this rack mount? I do kind of like some older analog sounds.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasperkeys wrote:
I was just looking up what on earth an Analogue Systems Spawn was and it sounds pretty interesting, not that I can buy one since at the present time I can only seem to attain some semblance of fiscal solvency every two weeks. Have you got any web links for your music that utilizes this rack mount? I do kind of like some older analog sounds.

the spawn is a very nice piece of gear.

I bought it because I needed some kind of ARP-like, neat, cristal-clear, piercing sound, and it does it very very well.

I don't do much more with it: just two or three patches. But they have that un-moogish sound. You want "steel drums", "submarine pings", and ARPish leads, that's the instrument to go.

It's semimodular: nothing terribly exciting when used alone since it hs just one ADSR and one LFO, but I sometimes "borrow" modulation controls from the a100 [adsr, noise gen and lfo] and that expands its power.

If you aren't much into those specific sounds, you'd better check it before forking 700/800 euros - especially if you mind every dime.

I mean: it's not the right synth for saturation, distortion, big noisy leads, and there's no chance of getting an hard sync out of it. People looking for those sounds often go for the Neptune. I tried both and the Neptune (at half the price) is definitely more trance-ish, dance-ish or whatever they call it.

If you already have a moog [or a synth based on a "moogish" filter], the Spawn is a very good complement.

I wouldn't use it as my MAIN synth or FIRST synth.

Hope this helps.

And no, I don't have a website. I wouldn't know how to use it, sorry. Strictly live usage and fun Very Happy
jasperkeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems interesting. I read an article about it and it said since it has no internal memory, you'd better write down all your settings if you want to hear them again. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: