Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Find User Drum Kit to Use in Sequencer Mode - M3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilingual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Can't Find User Drum Kit to Use in Sequencer Mode - M3 Reply with quote

Greetings Everyone:

I'm a newish and very satisfied M3 (now Xpanded) owner and have searched the Operation Guide, the Parameter Guide, and I have done lots of Googling and forum searching re my problem, but no success. I may be embarrassed by the obvious answer to my question, but here goes . . .

I have edited and copied my own drum kit (after doing the Xpanded upgrade from the USB stick). I have renamed it and touched "Write Drum Kits," so I know it is in the M3. I have even turned the M3 off, then on again to see if my renamed drum kit is there; it is, and it's called "032 (U -A): DavDrm4." I copied "000 (INT): Studio Standard Kit" to make this new kit. I want to use 032 (U -A): DavDrm4 in sequencer Mode to record a drum part. I tried several ways to get to this drum kit in Sequencer Mode but it really doesn't seem to exist anywhere but in Global mode, which means I can't use it. The closest I have gotten is "U -A032: A'Kustic Bass," a fabulous sound but not closely resembling a drum kit (!). Can anyone give a simple guitarist like me some step-by-step help? Thank you in advance Confused

David L.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now, you created it and its only in Global Mode. Did you ever create a PCG for it in Program Mode?
trilingual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nedim:

No, I didn't create a PCG. file for it. Prompted by your response, I'm going through the Parameter Guide to get up to speed with which files exist in which places. How can I create a PCG. file for my Drum Kit? And which bank will this Drum Kit live in once I've done that? Thanks . . .

David L.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri -

Drum kits exist as a reference only until you write them into a program, at which time you can chose them as you would any other patch using your sequencer. UNTIL you do this they will be in the machine as an unusable (by seq) sample... in the same way you can't pick a ROM multi-sample to play without it first being in a program.

BTW that goes for user samples, too; can't be used independent of a program.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - simultaneous post.

To answer your question re: where is it. You can save a drum kit PROGRAM to any blank slot (or overwrite one). PCG refers both to a single program and to a whole-system picture -- all banks all voices global songs and drum kits, etc. Once you save a program you might want to back-up, but no special steps need to be taken once you write it to internal memory - it'll be there till the batteries die. You can use it right away once you save.

The drum kit itself (what drums on what keys) is saved under Global, and the kit program (what effects, etc.) as PART of the overall PCG.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
trilingual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BB--I think I theoretically understand what to do, but practically . . . I take it that 'Write Drum Kits" doesn't mean that your drum kit becomes a PCG. file. I've also looked at Assigning drum kits on p. 53 in the Operation Guide, which gives some information. So here's where I get lost:

1) I'm in Global Mode P5: Drum Kit looking at my edited drum kit "032 (U -A): DavDrm4." My drum kit exists--yay!

2) I go to Program Mode P0: Play , I choose Category 15 Drums from Bank Int A. This will give me 018: Studio Standard Kit, which is the set of sounds I want to use. No drum kit "032 (U -A): DavDrm4"
can be found anywhere in the program slot--OK.

3) I go to Program Mode P1: Basic/DT/Ctrls, I choose Drums in Oscillator Mode.

4) I go to Program Mode P2: Oscillator Pitch and I see "032 (U -A): DavDrm4" in the slot next to the little greater than arrow.

But then . . . ?

5) Do I go to P0:Play in Program Mode and hit "Write Program" on the menu? I then get a dialog box with

I-A018 T (text button to change name) Studio standard Kit

Category > 15 Drums
Sub Category > 0 Natural Drums

To

Program I--A018 Studio Standard Kit

[Cancel] [OK]

Where does my kit 032 (U -A): DavDrm4 come into the picture?
How do I turn my drum kit into a Program accessible in Sequencer mode? A basic step by step procedure would help here . . .

Partially enlightened, hopeful, and grateful Smile for your help,

David L
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To simplify, as you stated above you understood it ok, you go to Program
Mode, you open an Empty Program or a DrumKit Program and in the Osc
page you change to UserDK and you sellect your own. After that you finally
have a User Drum Kit...now, all you have to do is WRITE it to a location of
your choice and it will be available anywhere.
trilingual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK--Thanks Nedim. I'll get up to speed about writing programs and give it a try (after slogging through some 9-5 job toiling) Smile

David L.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave -

One last caution - be sure you don't overwrite an existing drum-kit -- there are too many places where they get used that you probably DON't want to use the DAVEKIT for.

What you do want to do is save the STD KIT to an empty slot, THEN overwrite, i.e., use the effects and other settings that are PART of the program architecture with the U: DAVEKIT substituted where the STDKIT originally was - under the osc. page.

BB.

jackthepilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, What if I have overwritten it? and didn't have a back up is there any way to restore them?
Thank you
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little background.

Sequences, Karma, and Combis are all higher level programs that coordinate and use your synth's set-up to make appropriate sounds. GM is a way to standardize the menu across ALL synth makers so sequeces sound "right" regardless of synth they get played on. GM is ROM - you can't mess with it - there's a reason for that. But you can hack your internal memory on Korg synths. If you know what you're doing you can overwrite anything, but you need to know the FULL implications of doing so.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!

Combis are not smart. They look at location or a set slot number - they'll play whatever is there. Save piano in that drumkit spot and when the arp starts it will sound like a chimp is ponding on the Steinway.

In your case, you've (maybe) overwritten a LOCATION that is already referenced many times in many combis. Play a combi that SHOULD be STDKIT and you'll hear the DAVEKIT in the mix - because that's what's in the location.

If you HAVE put the DAVEKIT in the exact slot that STDKIT was, then when you pull up a patch that used STDKIT you will see DAVEKIT in its place.

This is across the entire board - all combis that referenced STD will be DAVE.

WE CAN FIX THAT

So now you have to do some data juggling. Save your current set-up as a PCG file - use a librarian or whatever storage mechanism you normally do - lable the file 'davekit' for reference purposes.

You have a couple of choices at this point.

Move PROGRAM "davekit" to a different spot... using the PGC backup of the pre-dave set up or a "factory" PCG, call up the STDKIT PROGRAM and restore it (and ONLY it) - "un-write" the DAVEKIT overwrite. STD's back in place and all references are restored, Davekit program is in it's new home and you can reference it in future sequences.

- OR -

Follow the internal restore routine - see manual - and get your synth's internal memory back to "factory" - then use the 'davekit' pcg to save the davekit KIT to user slot under drums, and the davekit PROGRAM to a blank slot.

HOW DO I DO THAT -

When you look at a PCG file in the media page you'll see the master PCG name, then as you progress through then next couple of pages, you'll see more and more detailed data. You'll want to find drumkits (one file location), program banks (different file) specific drum programs (different file), and possibly combi and sequences - so take a little time to find out what exactly is IN a PGC, and how to locate it. Conceptually it's no different than a multi level "explorer" which you're probably familiar with from your computer.

TIP: You can "audition" PROGRAMS - without loading them - from any PCG. Combis may sound different depending on what changes you've made (or the combi expects have been made) - M3 expanded programs and combis won't sound the same on the unexpanded version.

jackthepilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill you are da man!!!

Thank you for such a great explanation. Now that I know you can easily overwrite sounds I will be really afraid to save anything.

I keep reading and reading and the more I read the more confused I am. I love complexity, that's why I bought this keyboard because of the limitless capabilities, but it scares me thinking I can delete absolutely everything.
Bill I should take lessons from you on my M3-88 I think over time I'll grasp the idea, so far I am confused as never before and keep reading korgforums and korg-labs

Thank you for the magnificent explanation!!!
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be confused or scared, you can delete everything and have it back in a cesond.
jackthepilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don’t be confused or scared, you can delete everything and have it back in a second.

Where can I find the info in steps:

1.How to backup absolutely everything of my M3, I mean everything like global setting, sounds, combis etc.
2.How do I restore everything back?

If you could please tell me where to find the info how to do it or perhaps if you could provide some simple step-by-step directions, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: