Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing Samples on TR without the Sampling Upgrade (EXB-SMPL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamAndrew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Playing Samples on TR without the Sampling Upgrade (EXB-SMPL Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Really need some help here guys. Just got a TR...that broke me, I can't buy the $200 sampling upgrade anytime soon. Could you please elaborate on how to accomplish importing samples via SD card without Sampling Option? I'm having trouble.

Using AWAVE, I save the .wav or .aiff file as a .KSF file directly onto the SD card. I then put the SD card into the Korg TR, the .KSF file pops up, no problem. Then I choose UTILITY>LOAD SELECTED. It *says* it loads but then....nothing. When I look in the RAM section under OSC 1 all I have is "NewMS-----000" and it is blank...no sound.

Am I missing some step here converting between the .wav file and the "multisample" that is used as the building block for a program?

I just want to make my own programs so much! I thought it'd be a simple plug and chug...not so much I see!

Thanks for your help! Smile
samriccijr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Playing Samples on TR without the Sampling Upgrade (EXB-SMPL Reply with quote

SamAndrew:

I build my multisample instruments in KONTAKT 1.1. You can use Giga or Soundfont or AWAVE or EXS or any sample builder that you are comfortable with.

I keep it simple. I use 1 layer per instrument across the keyboard range. If an instrument (like a piano) has two layers, then I create two separate Kontakt instruments (Piano low.nki and Piano hi.nki).

I convert each Kontakt instrument to Korg format using Chicken Systems Translator Korg edition. This creates the KSF, KSC an KMP files that Korg is looking for. I ignore the PCG since the multisample instrument is simple.

I copy the KSC file and the folder with the KSF-KMP files to the card and load them into the Triton (usually low.ksc first then hi.ksc next).

I go to the oscillator page and set the multisamples to RAM. Sometimes the sample is in RAM 001 instead of RAM 000. I then save the program.

Once all the samples are assigned I save all sampling data in memory as a new multisample (strings.ksf or piano.ksf or clav.ksf).

I still make a ROM equivalent of the program because the power will go out and you will have to reload your samples.........

I have EXB-SMPL but I don't use it to edit multisamples. The pc method is much faster and much more flexible IMHO. Downside is that you have to invest in Kontakt and Translator.

Chicken had a Translator Free program that had limited functionality, they might still have it.

It comes down to where you spend your money: $250 on software or $200 on hardware?

Thanks, Sam
SamAndrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Sam. This was very informative and helpful.

I figured out how to get the samples in (via .kmp files made with Awave) but I'm having a little difficulty saving the programs and then having them be the same when I power the keyboard back up. I choose "save all" and save a PGC and my programs are saved in ROM, as you stated. However, when I reload the programs after powering down and back up, stuff is screwed, sampels are misplaced, sometime missing. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here? Thank you!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamAndrew wrote:
Thank Sam. This was very informative and helpful.

I figured out how to get the samples in (via .kmp files made with Awave) but I'm having a little difficulty saving the programs and then having them be the same when I power the keyboard back up. I choose "save all" and save a PGC and my programs are saved in ROM, as you stated. However, when I reload the programs after powering down and back up, stuff is screwed, sampels are misplaced, sometime missing. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here? Thank you!

when you save all the important thing to check is the box for sampling data. programs are stored on the keyboard after poweroff so thats not a problem. the issue is getting all your samples back in the same order. the save all should create a KSC, which is what you need to load (Korg Script File). that will have KMPs and directories with KSFs related to it which you obviously need to keep in the same directory relative to the KSC.

when you want to add another sample, load that, and then overwrite your all set, once you have decided you want to keep it that way.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SamAndrew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, very helpful, THANKS! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: