Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum synthesis on the Korg DS-10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deetak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Drum synthesis on the Korg DS-10 Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing any drum settings they have for the DS-10 or any tips on getting particular drum sounds.

I like the bass drum in this cover of Justice's Water of Nazereth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0DLL5979U

It is simple but I am having trouble getting any sound like it and was wondering how I could reproduce it. In the drum edit, what settings would I go for? (Eg for cutoff, peak, ADSR, etc.) or what you're doing with the patch cables. The snare drum sounds good too, but I am similarly clueless how to achieve that sound.

BTW This artist also has good drum sounds with the DS-10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1KvOwjaOc

Is there a general tutorial online that might help?

Thank-you

EDIT: The closest thing I have (which doesn't sound very close) is the following: Octave lowest setting, EG INT highest setting. One set to saw wave, the other set to noise wave. Balance at half and half. VCO2 pitch at half. VCO sync off. VCF: Cutoff all the way to the right, peak at 75% full, EG INT 60% to the right. Low pass filter. EG: Attack at 0, decay at 9oclock, sustain at 0. Level all the way, Drive is half way. EG selected.

Patch cable section (I had no idea what I was doing here, just randomly moving cables): Bottom left to PITCH IN, at 10 oclock. Next is connected to CUTOFF IN, just barely increased. Next is in VCA IN, all the weay. EG is is VCO PITCH IN, half way. VCO2 is into VCO2 PITCH in, just a little.

I set the drum pitch to C4 in the step sequencer.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a DSi or a DS lite/other?

That makes a big difference because the DSi has much better low bass performance than previous models. That justice cover was done on a DSi. You will be disappointed if you try to reproduce it on the older hardware.
deetak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xml: I do not have the DSi. Do you think I would still be able to get that sound in the Justice if I use a DSi, but still use the original DS-10 (and not the newer DS-10+)?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll be able to get that sound on the DSi using the DS-10 software and some programming of the synth patch. The DS-10+ isn't released in the USA yet, and the example you saw seemed to be done with the current DS-10 software on the DSi.
deetak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, xmlguy.

For the curious, this was the tune I was writing at the time of the original post (just finished):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhfbdVisH_U
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there've been a couple of times when the flanger helped me get a crunchier snare, but you have to get it just right. and sometimes i add a little chorus to the bass drums
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: