Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Logic user...first steps?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: New Logic user...first steps? Reply with quote

Howdy,

After a very long night of major trouble and a serious OSX 5.8 crash (The only I ever encountered in all that time), I just had it with qbase, gave my registered Version away to a friend and ordered Logic this morning.

My goal is to construct a template (environment, right?) that "considers" my external hardware at the push of a button.

Any tips and hints on installation and setting up of Logic on a Mac such as first steps towards a production environment are most welcome. I never used Logic before and honestly it is somewhat daunting, but I totally lost confidence in Steinberg and their announcements on progressing with high end Mac issues such as latency and so on. They even told me on the phone in summer 2008 that a Mac multicore optimised Mac version will be out by December. I think I was patient enough now, LOL, hence did not even bother upgrading to Cubase 5 for the very same reason.

Any Infos, links, anything at all that can help me mastering the transition more efficiently are of great help. Thanks a lot!

Hardware:
MacPro OSX 5.8
MacbookPro OSX 5.8
RME Multiface II
Motu Express 128
Remote SL
Korg M3
Korg Radias
Korg Karma
Roland XV88
NI Kore 2

Software:
Vienna Instruments
Vienna Ensemble pro
Kontakt 3.5
Omnisphere
Stylus RMX
Trilian
Korg Legacy digital edition
Ozone 4
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, got tons of advise already... seriously Very Happy

I know I am in for a ride, but what the Hell, winter is usually long in Ireland. Wink
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you got loads of stuff, that's for sure. I don't remember but i guess that the MOTU 128 is a MIDI interface with 8x8 ins and outs? In that case, you won't have any trouble creating a template with all your hardware synths connected to it. Depending on how you like to work, you have three kinds of objects in Logic to link to hard synths. Multi-Instruments, Mapped Instruments and Instruments. Multi is for multi-timbral synths like your M3 and Karma. You can assign a mapped instru to a drum kit and that will give you some features not in the other two. Since i don't have a big hardware rig, i usually only create single instruments for some midi channels in my differents ext. synths. I never liked multi-instruments. had some problems with it and also, if you're the king of person who do a lot of programming and messing in the original presets of the synths, the patch list has to be updated to have any meaning.

In my loading template, i never put loads of softsynths. Only a couple of EXS but empty. The file will load a lot faster. I create Aux with Reverb, Delay pointing to sends in all the tracks but i option+click them all to bypass them on the tracks(not the Aux), so the template is at a minimum when loaded.

I'm trying to change my workflow but since you'll be new at Logic, try to really make use of the Library pane on the right. If you activate the Link button on any plug-in interface, when you change tracks with the up/down arrows, the plug-in on that track will appear and the library pane will give you all the Apple and your own presets for that plug-in. Unless i need to do some editing, i rarely have to mouse around to a plug-in interface to select something. All is done in the Arrange page.

The Editor pane is also great. Everything can be edited from there, not just midi notes but region lenght.

Something that is not documented anywhere is, if you need to mute or solo many tracks close to each others, you click on the upper one's solo or mute button and while keeping your finger pressed on the mouse, you move the mouse down. All tracks you come across will mute or solo.

If you have loads of Ram, don't miss the option menu in the EXS interface. There you'll find an option for playing the samples at 32-bit floating point. If your original sample was 16-bit, it will take more place but the EXS can perform thousands of voices of polyphony in that mode. So, if your Kontakt libraries are also available in EXS format, it will be much easier on your computer.

I could go on but, hey, i have a life to live!!! Good luck with Logic.

Blink
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blink,

great Infos, thanks a lot for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: