Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

owners of M3-73, M3-88 + Radias-R Rack ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: owners of M3-73, M3-88 + Radias-R Rack ??? Reply with quote

Hello forum,

Users who have both M3-M and Radias-R mounted on your M3 chassis: is there anyway to select which module to be played without having to turn off one of them or lower the volume? Is there anything can be done, any switch like SW1, SW2 that can be assign to act as a module selector? What if you want to play both unit together but as separate modules, differently? in addition to 9-pin mini din cables, should I use MIDI between two modules, create zones on keyboard, assign different channel to each, etc.? From what I see and understand so far, having both modules on M3's keybed doesn't necessarily mean these two units going to be integrated, it's just like using an external module with your keyboard, or am I wrong?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing it right with the 9 pin DINs. It was designed poorly IMHO from an integration standpoint. A couple months ago I reverse engineered the internals to the keybeds that use the 9 pin DIN cables with the intent of installing 2 toggle switches - 1 to shut off the note data to the M3 and 1 to shut off the note data to the RADIAS.

Just haven't had the time to tear it all down and finish it. If you're interested or inclined to do the same thing, let me know and I'll try to make it a project right away...

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
digitop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

designing such 2-toggle switch is a greate idea. It also would be nice if someone could find a way to change those two 9-pin mini din jacks under M3's keybed with regular MIDI jacks or maybe a 9pin-to-5pin MIDI adapter could be invented so we all could easily use M3 with a midi patcher such as Edirol UM-550/880, and just with push of a button select whatever module or modules we desire, up to 16 or more. M3-M and Radias-R look fantastic side-by-side but they are losely apart when it comes to playing them with M3's keys.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an M3, but I do have a Korg TR workstation, which I use with my radias-r.

IMO the 9-pin thing is a pretty pointless idea when it comes to connecting both modules.
for complete integration, all you need is the MIDI connection.

The first combination on my TR is called 'RADIAS', and consists purely of an EXT timbre transmitting on ch2 (the global channel I have set for my radias). I simply switch to that when I want to play the radias on its own.

But this still leaves the option to include the radias programs in combinations if you wish to using EXT timbres, and in sequences too, and you can route KARMA (or ARP in my case) to it just like any other timbre.

Another thing is that, using the 9-pin, you don't get aftertouch or SW1 & 2, or JS -Y. With the MIDI connection, the module transmits all these, and by default the Virtual Patch sources MIDI1-5 are assigned to the switches and joystick and aftertouch CCs. MIDI2 is JS -Y, MIDI3 is SW1, MIDI4 is SW2, and MIDI5 is channel aftertouch.

You can then also use the thru on the Radias to control other modules or out to a DAW, or if you have many more keyboards to integrate in the setup like me, use a MIDI routing device/patchbay.

this leaves the question: why even bother with the 9-pin?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
this leaves the question: why even bother with the 9-pin?

hmmmm... good point. I wonder if Jerry or someone from Korg can explain the advantages/disadvantages of the 9 pin DIN to simply using MIDI.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the direct keybed connection you in effect have MIDI omni mode where the keybed input can be applied to multiple tracks simultaneously even if those tracks are set to different MIDi channels.

If you do not use the direct keybed connector, but use a MIDI link instead, then the firmware on the M3 does not provide OMNI mode via MIDI inputs. I guess (but have not checked) that the RADIAS-R behaves the same way (ie no OMNI support via MIDI).

Best regards,
Rob
sanning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: MIDI DIN 9 Pin to standard MIDI 5 pin Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to mount another rack module in my M3 keyboard chassis, possibly an old radias chassis also. For me to do this I'd need to convert the MIDI 9 pin from the chassis into a regular MIDI 5 pin. Is this even possible? Any help greatly greatly appreciated!!!
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: i know it is inside outside of the box thing on volume Reply with quote

i know it is inside outside of the box thing on volume control for the m3m and radias rack.

the best way is to use a stereo foot peddle as a swell peddle like on an b3 Hammond...

I use one for each of the sound modules.

the idea I stole it from roland and vangellis in this you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVW7yB-5TRo
that is a cool setup...
and so easy on the routing on the midi!! everything is channel one.
and just use splits and zones on the beds and then foot peddles for volumes for each module or for sets of them for fast fine mixing patched to the big mixer for the course levels.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: