Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

audio/midi interface advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_J_W

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: audio/midi interface advice needed Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of a look around on the web at a few M-Audio and Edirol products amongst others, but there's so many and different options etc - it's all a bit overwhelming for a beginner like me to choose from.

I've got a Korg Triton (original model - about 10 years old now) keyboard, and a Macbook Pro (~2007 model w/ intel cpu) running Logic Studio 9, OS v10.6.2. I'm looking for an audio interface of some variety with MIDI I/O to go in between so that I can use the triton as a midi controller in Logic. Primarily I'd be using it in a live performance type setup, but potentially some personal recording/sequencing as well.

Basically what I need to be able to do with the audio interface is to connect from the keyboard to interface via midi and then to either firewire or USB ports on the mac. From there, I'd go via Logic for the sounds, and back out to the interface to output the sound to a mixing desk when performing or headphones when using it by myself. Obviously good sound output quality is a must, hence why I'm not just getting a MIDI-USB adapter cable and using the laptop's sound card to output. I'm more inclined to go for a firewire interface for the higher bandwidth, but open to suggestions if any USB 2.0 products are more suited

Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, but it'd be nice to be able to have the interface operate "standalone" such that I can connect from the keyboard's analog outs to it, and then go straight to the interface's outputs without needing the Mac attached. That's more an optional than a requirement though.

One thing I've noticed with Logic is that it sometimes gets CPU Overload errors, particularly when there's quite a lot of tracks in an arrangement. Will the drivers used by the audio interface make a difference here? Or do they all go through the core audio in the OS anyway?

Do people have any suggestions on what might be suitable for this?

Many thanks for your assistance,

- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: