Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 New Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered my Sv-1 today. Please, can you tell me what are the best samples in new soundpack1 in your opinion?
Rodney

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my SV-1 since November. I love all the sounds -- but I just can't get the acoustic pianos to behave well, and unless I can find a fix, I'll need to sell it.

When I'm playing with a group, and I've got the volume set appropriately for accompanying, it works fine until I want a solo or to bring out a particular line -- there's simply no headroom. I can pound on the keyboard, and it doesn't get noticeably louder. It's very frustrating. On the demos of the acoustic pianos, there are great spots where the player is able to bring out a spike for certain notes -- I can't get the keyboard to do that. When I play electric pianos it's very different -- spiking a note makes a great "bark," and it's easy and intuitive to play well on those samples. It's the acoustic samples that are lacking. I'm finding I'm going to my old Korg SP-200, where the keyboard feels weak and loose, but at least I have more control on the piano samples.

I've tried all the different keyboard sensitivity options, but I honestly hear no difference between settings 4 through 7. It behaves about the same. 2 and 3 are different -- even when I play lightly, the sound comes out loudly, which is the opposite of what I want.

So, my most desired feature would be a way to edit those velocity curves, preferably on a sample-by-sample basis -- maybe by dragging an on-screen bezier curve with at least two inflection points. I want some headroom at the top to play loud. My other feature request would be the ability to control the range of the reverb functions -- anything past two or three is so thick as to be musically useless, so there's really no point in having the knobs go up to 10.

But, great Rhodes sounds...
craigalan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Often when playing with a group, the piano does not cut through at all. Even after cranking up the volume, it still seems to be muffled or flat in dymanic/velocity range.
miket156

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney:

What kind of system are you using to amplify your SV-1? I've listened to the demos of the SV-1 and there's some nice acoustic piano sounds. With a strong enough system with proper EQ, you should be able to cut through a mix. Unless you play with two guitar players, both with huge Marshal stacks. If that's the case, find another band.

Seriously, what are you playing it through?

Mike T.
Rodney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket156 wrote:
Rodney:

What kind of system are you using to amplify your SV-1? I've listened to the demos of the SV-1 and there's some nice acoustic piano sounds. With a strong enough system with proper EQ, you should be able to cut through a mix. Unless you play with two guitar players, both with huge Marshal stacks. If that's the case, find another band.

Seriously, what are you playing it through?

Mike T.

The cuttting through isn't the problem. And I love the piano sounds, they're quite nice. The problem is that when I set it to a good basic backing volume in a band setting, there's no headroom left when I want to be heard. I pound on the keyboard as hard as I like, and it does not get appreciably louder. (I wish I knew what settings they use on those demos -- I'd like to be able to get the board to sound like that!) And I haven't had this problem with other keyboards, including an old Roland FP7, a Korg SP-200, and a Young Chang acoustic parlor grand miced under the lid; all of which allow you to play the keyboard comfortably at one volume, then either play an interior moving line firmly to bring it out, or spike a low octave to make it cut through. In a way, what I'm having trouble with is getting the SV-1 to cut through its own sound. The accompaniment notes drown out the solo notes.

To answer the question, I've run it through a Roland KC-300 (100W, 12-inch cone + tweeter horn; same amp I used with the FP7 and SP-200) raised off the ground and aimed at my head; through an early Bose L1 pole (say what you will, with 24 speakers and 500W plus a 250W bass cab, it ought to be able to bring out a bit of midrange if the keyboard supplies it -- and it does, once I switched back to my SP-200), and once just through the stage monitors as an experiment. Sounds fine for backing. Works brilliantly with the electric piano sounds. But with the acoustic pianos, there's no headroom left for solos.

This is generally Irish folk music or New England contra-dance music, so all I'm competing with is a couple of fiddles, sometimes a guitar or cello (none of whom have on-stage amps, just stage monitors), a dance caller (who's not in the monitors) and most significantly, a noisy hall of dancing people. But I've even had the problem when playing chamber music in a quintet where no one else was amplified. I just can't get the thing to play at different volumes.

The problem seems to be with the keyboard itself, not the samples -- maybe I simply can't play it as lightly as it needs to be played for accompaniment, so I'm always at top volume. And perhaps it's a problem with the available touch-sensitivity options (does anyone notice any difference between touch settings 5,6, and 7? they seem identical to me). I'm waiting for the Yamaha CP-50 to come out, and even a CP33 would probably do fine for the live gigs I have, and those are only $1000 now. I feel stupid selling a keyboard that should be everything I want and trading it in for a cheap one with a DC wall-wart transformer, but for most of my paid gigs, the SV-1 isn't cutting it.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rodney:

Have you used the Editor at all? You can adjust the Touch Curve for each sound individually when you use it, and then rewrite them to the normal locations, or the Favorites.

Based on your commentary it sounds to me like you play pretty hard, because the difference in curves 4-7 is how the sound level changes from your lightest touch up to the hardest. Playing at a hard level they will all sound pretty much the same, because you've "topped out" already.

Based on this I wonder if you shouldn't leave the Master volume below full, so you could goose it a bit when you need to solo through the band...I'll talk to some of the programmers to get some others tips for you.

Regards,

Jerry
craigalan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Surprisingly, I just picked up a Yamaha Stagepas 500 and it has absolutely brought this board to life. The stereo out makes a huge difference. Prior I was using mono out with a stereo sample and was a little under-impressed. That is no longer the case, finally I am getting to hear this board. I will definitely recommend the SV-1 used with the Stagepas 500. Oh, and I had a traynor K4 side by side with the stagepas. In my opinion, no comparison.
miket156

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cragalan:

Years ago, the old joke was "If you aren't loud enough, buy a bigger amp. If your guitar player(s) buy a Marshall stack, buy TWO for your electric piano". Of course, guitar amps really aren't suited for modern KB's. We need to use full range speakers with a 15" woofer, and a horn. If you have a 3 way speaker system its even better. Then a powerful enough power amp, a good quality stereo 31 band EQ, and a quality mixer. You should be able to play at normal stage volume without your system even breathing hard. When its time to solo you will have enough reserve power to be heard when you want to be.

I'm happy to hear that your updated set up is more satisfactory than the previous setup. I hope your guitar players don't buy Marshall stacks and up the anti. Very Happy

Cheers,

Mike T.
The Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the SV-1 Owner's Society today and now have a 73 in my keyboard collection. I just wanted to put forth a request for a layered ep/choir and ep/strings sometime if possible, along the lines of Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are". Thanks !
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: amp simulator hiss Reply with quote

SV 1 arrived yesterday. First impression...AWESOME! I had played one in the local music store for weeks, but getting it into the quiet studio really lets you get a feel for the instrument. The design is really beautiful, and it just feels good sitting behind such a substantial bit of kit. Layout is superb. I hear some folks mentioning hitting the lower buttons while playing, but I honestly don't see how that's an issue. Even when hitting plenty of pentatonics, my hands are nowhere near them. Soundwise, it's gorgeous, and yes, as said before, ESPECIALLY the Rhodes sounds. But honestly I think all the sounds are superb. I've read complaints about the "other" category being complete crap, but I disagree. The strings are rich and expressive. I also like the organ sounds. My one issue though is the amp simulator "hiss". As I read the forum I see I'm not alone. I realize amps by nature do have a certain amount of hiss present all the time. Especially with the gain cranked, but to my ears it is a CONSTANT hiss. The amp simulators on the SV 1 only have the hiss when you play a note, and it dies away with the note. That's the part that bugs me, and makes it sound completely unrealistic, and a bit distracting / annoying. If your gonna have hiss then make it a constant noise. I did lower the main volume and raise the drive as one post suggested. This minimizes the hiss, but gives you a low output with more drive then you may want. I'm going to try using the editor as some have suggested to solve this problem. but just curious as to why Korg designed it so the hiss completely fades away with the note?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: amp simulator hiss Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
SV 1 arrived yesterday. First impression...AWESOME! I had played one in the local music store for weeks, but getting it into the quiet studio really lets you get a feel for the instrument. The design is really beautiful, and it just feels good sitting behind such a substantial bit of kit. Layout is superb. I hear some folks mentioning hitting the lower buttons while playing, but I honestly don't see how that's an issue. Even when hitting plenty of pentatonics, my hands are nowhere near them. Soundwise, it's gorgeous, and yes, as said before, ESPECIALLY the Rhodes sounds. But honestly I think all the sounds are superb. I've read complaints about the "other" category being complete crap, but I disagree. The strings are rich and expressive. I also like the organ sounds. My one issue though is the amp simulator "hiss". As I read the forum I see I'm not alone. I realize amps by nature do have a certain amount of hiss present all the time. Especially with the gain cranked, but to my ears it is a CONSTANT hiss. The amp simulators on the SV 1 only have the hiss when you play a note, and it dies away with the note. That's the part that bugs me, and makes it sound completely unrealistic, and a bit distracting / annoying. If your gonna have hiss then make it a constant noise. I did lower the main volume and raise the drive as one post suggested. This minimizes the hiss, but gives you a low output with more drive then you may want. I'm going to try using the editor as some have suggested to solve this problem. but just curious as to why Korg designed it so the hiss completely fades away with the note?

I would imagine the hiss isn't intentional but is a result of the recording process, so the hiss would be a part of the sample for a key. Hiss is present in all recordings, but the drive amplifies the hiss in the signal to audible levels.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the reply. I don't think the hiss is in the samples, because when the amp simulator is off, the sound is clean. I don't think a new set of samples is triggered when the simulator is turned on. Rather the clean samples are being fed through the tube drive and simulator. That's where the hiss is introduced.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
Hello, thanks for the reply. I don't think the hiss is in the samples, because when the amp simulator is off, the sound is clean. I don't think a new set of samples is triggered when the simulator is turned on. Rather the clean samples are being fed through the tube drive and simulator. That's where the hiss is introduced.

As I said, the hiss could be in the samples but inaudible until drive and associated compression are applied. There will be an element of hiss in all samples that aren't purely computer generated. Not suggesting that a different set of samples are used at all, but drive is known to bring out the best as well as the worst in a sound.

However, it could also be noise introduced by the tube circuit, which is then gated exactly to prevent hiss when no notes are played. This is also common practise to reduce unwanted noise, the thinking being with psychological acoustics - you're more likely to hear the notes than the noise behind it if it is only present when notes do play.

Mind I don't have an SV1 so I don't know how bad the hiss actually is. It would be interesting to hear a recording.

I'm not trying to 'defend' KORG, just thinking about it logically.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought thanks. If it is a gated noise I would have preferred it not to be. Maybe Jerry from Korg will give some insight. As I mentioned, somewhere on this forum was described a way to reduce the hiss with the editing software. I'll hunt that post down and give it a shot. All in all though, very pleased with the SV 1. I think it's a keeper. I must admit though my Lounge Lizard soft synth is a bit warmer and fuller sounding, but the added pre and mod fx on the SV 1 just make it a joy to play and tweak. As much as I love the soft synths it's a pain to turn on the computer and MIDI. Sometimes you just want to unwind and play. The SV is perfect for that Very Happy
JonBooth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got my first ever korg (SV-1 88key) about a month and absolutely love it! My big gripe with it however is that you cant sustain a previous sound when you change sounds, it just cuts off. Just wondering if anybody has found a solution to this? Other than that, love it! Just starting to delve into the editor, should be fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: