Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ok another question or two for a korg newb.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandonfilmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: ok another question or two for a korg newb..... Reply with quote

ok so i feel i got a good deal for 150 for the esx, maybe not, but besides the point. I also started using Ableton live 8 wich i purchased with and for my M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2. Now before you start ranting about Ableton being the best, let me be the first in saying, YES! LOVE IT, and SWEAR BY IT! Again, not the point im getting to. So I thought it was a deal, and im a sucker for anything with E.D. muzik (like I said in my last post, I loved my Roland MC-307). Ive used Acid, FL, and Reason for about 8 years or so. I bought the Korg for a(nother) Midi device, and was wondering if I could go backwards, and use the Oxygen as a controller for the ESX. Or what capabilities were between the two. After my HD is fixed for my Lapy Top, I will continue on the amazing venture of Ableton, but for now, I was wondering the compatability between the two units.

Second part of this thread is more of a slight rant. The ESX has MUCH sex-appeal, but im unhappy with a few things. First is the damn proprietary SMARTMEDIA card BS. Seriously, trying to find a reader locally is like pulling teeth from a newborn baby. also, the simple fact that it only holds 128MB at MOST is absolutely absurd. So for the different styles of muzik I make, I feel that I should buy the company out of them, because I use a Sh*t ton of samples when I create my various styles of music. Therefore, every type of track I make I would only be able to use a multitude of cards to create the sounds I want. OR, just have a dedicated card for every track. Face it, the card doesnt hold near enough. Maybe Im just no seeing something, but there is quite a few flaws with this setup. too bad no USB or HD capabilities. Shame on korgs part. However, I wont let this deter me from venturing into another beautiful piece of equipment.

If Im not seeing somthing or if you have any tips or input, please respond. Any response is VERY welcome!!!

Thanks to all!

I hope to be a part of this community full time!

-BraFil-
brandonfilmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW! I did check out the link and I know how the program works for Windows and whatnot for the SMARTMEDIA Card BS. Still the fact is the Proprietary and not to mention OBSOLETE problem is well, just that... a HUGE hurdle I must jump (among others) to fully enjoy this thing...

just thought I would add that....

TIA Again!
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I use my Oxygen with my EMX (I'll assume it's similar in operation to the ESX) and power it using a powered USB hub and connect it to the EMX with a MIDI cable. You can switch parts by switching channels on the Oxygen, easy stuff.

2) For $4 you can get an XD card to Smart Media card adaptor. For $10 you can get a 128MB XD card. I wouldn't use the cards to store your entire sample library. Rather, use a card for a few songs and then offload them to your computer (with a card reader) and swap as necessary for studio work. If you're performing live and have to use more than 4 cards, then you might be over doing it with the samples.

3) Ableton is awesome with the Electribes. For studio work, it's easy to sample bars in it's entirety or in soloed parts, into Ableton from the ESX. Kinda weird to sample a sampler, but Ableton does sampling much better than the ESX can.
brandonfilmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock on bro, and thnx... btw check out my traxx... Myspace.com/avivawerx

Much thanks!
brandonfilmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2) For $4 you can get an XD card to Smart Media card adaptor. For $10 you can get a 128MB XD card.

btw.. ummmm... where, besides the net...... and second, does the esx support 128mb? I have heard fables, but want to know that she does... Thanks again!!!
Yornav

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electribes support 128mb as a smartmedia card. But because the electribes have a 16mb ram on board, they never can read more then 16mb of samples whitout reloading a whole new set of samples into the RAMmemory...

The trick is... while making beats with the EMX and take use of esx for fill in sounds. They reload there machine between songs while emx keeps on playing. Take full advantage of the 16mb.

For example: song 1 holds 7mb of samples. Song 2 holds 4mb of samples. Song 3 holds 10mb. This means that song 1 and 2 can be put in the same map cause it's less than 16mb. So while playing live the first reload needs to be done for song 3... The smart media cards can hold 128mb. So, 8 reloads possible...

If you want to record whole pieces of lots of mb's... The machine is not designed to do that.

Some artists use 1EMX and 2 ESX's...

Hey... it depends on what of kind of music you make...

Hardware is dying cause the limitations of it... Welcome to Ableton and midicontrollers
Dj Pound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. But I thought that 1 "full" ESX file takes up 24 MB's of room. Atleast that's what the manual says.

Just checking!
MicroStation
MicroKorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: