Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum WD-X output very quiet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurulogic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Wavedrum WD-X output very quiet Reply with quote

Hello,
my new Wavedrum WD-X seems much too quiet at full volume. The input of my soundcard set at -10dBV which is plenty hot for every other electronic instrument I have used. With the Wavedrum, the audio shows at absolute most an input gain of -20db when hitting the drum as hard as I think I should.This means that to match the gain of my other instruments I have to bump the Wavedrum gain at my DAW software 20-30db. Is this just the way the Wavedrum is, user error or does my Wavedrum have an obvious defect (I assume an obious defect like very low volume should have been noticed if Korg tests products before shipping?)
Otherwise the Wavedrum sounds and plays awesome!
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you need to calibrate the wavedrum. I do not have one at the moment and I agree with you when I tested the WaveDrum, the volume of the output was too low.

However, I read somewhere that there is a way to make the volume louder.

Good luck!

KELFAR SOUND LIBRARIES @ Korg Shop
KORG KRONOS SOUND LIBRARIES
Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
gurulogic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I just heard back from my dealer and his demo is also quiet when played by hand but much louder when played with sticks, I am playing by hand.
I don't have sticks to test but it would seem like a major design flaw if there is no way to change the gain structure for when either sticks or hands were used, if the difference is that much?
And just how hard are you supposed to hit this thing anyways?
marlenedegrood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Wavedrum today and also find the volume very low. With headphones I can deal with it since I can't hear the sounds of my hands on the head but using powered speakers it's pretty annoying to hear the slapping of my hands over the sound coming out of the speakers. I'm hoping that there is a way to boost the sound. If I find a way then I'll post and I hope someone will do the same.
gurulogic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else with a Wavedrum is interested in comparing, here is a clip of loop 001 recorded from my Wavedrum at -10dBV sensitivity (hottest possible) on my sound card and rendered with no gain adjustments.
WavedrumLoop1.wav
Warning, you may need to increase your speakers volume!

I suppose if this is the way it is intended and there is no further way to adjust the global volume, I'll need to get a preamp or something but..grrr.
Maybe I just need to get tribal on this thing with some big sticks to reach max volume..OOGA-WHOOPMP-OOGA-BANG-BANG-WHOOMPA!? (as plastic parts begin to disintegrate,lol)
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,

I think there is a way to make it louder. The best solution is to contact Korg technical support.

Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
gurulogic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak wrote:
Friends,

I think there is a way to make it louder. The best solution is to contact Korg technical support.

Thanks, I'll try that.
In the meantime I've discovered that the headphone output offers another 3db of gain compared to the L/R output jacks, but it still isn't nearly what I need to match other instruments in my setup...
tablaninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: wavedrum low volume output Reply with quote

korg added a 2X volume output option after the first batch shipped. the first instructions i received from korg, the second one is from another user.

To access the output control on the WAVEDRUM, please take the following steps:
Hold Bank while powering up
Display should say "1"
Set to "2" with the value dial
Press write 2x
Re-cycle power

if that doesn't work try this...

Hold Bank while powering up
Display should say "1"
Set to "2" with the value dial
Hold Bank and press write
Re-cycle power
(re-do to check that "2" is permanent)

if that doesn't help, you may have an early wavedrum and it needs to go to an authorized korg repair location to have the firmware updated. take your receipt and it should be free.

good luck
marlenedegrood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg included an insert with the manual that includes the instructions (as stated above) for a 2x mode on the output level. They warn that regardless of the position of the volume knob some distortion may occur when the wavedrum is hit harder. I realize that many drummers are hard hitters and that is why the output volume may be factory set where it is. I, however, am not a hard hitter and want to hear the subtle finger taps so later today when I get home from work I'm going to put my Wavedrum into the x2 mode. I'll let you know. Thanks to all who are responding to this thread.

I forgot to mention that last night I ran my aux out of the Wavedrum into my Zoom H2 recorder and my headphones out of the recorder. The volume was very high in the headphones (perfect actually) but the recording volume was still on the low side.
gurulogic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not get an insert nor do the above instructions work for me Sad
At least I know what needs to be done. Thanks!

Edit: Why the heck couldn't Korg add a 50 cent USB port for updates, editing and patch management? Midi patch change would have been swell too. Oh well, maybe the MkII will have it, and I did know these limitations before I made the purchase so I can't really complain...
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting topic. Why Korg did not make at least a usb port to do a firmware updates?

According to someone in this forum, you have to send your WaveDrum to an Authorized service center to do the firmware update. If this is the case then there is a header plug or and SD card inside the Korg WaveDrum to do the firmware update.

What do you think?

Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
marlenedegrood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak wrote:
This is a very interesting topic. Why Korg did not make at least a usb port to do a firmware updates?

According to someone in this forum, you have to send your WaveDrum to an Authorized service center to do the firmware update. If this is the case then there is a header plug or and SD card inside the Korg WaveDrum to do the firmware update.

What do you think?

I was also confused by the poster stating that you could take your Wavedrum to an authorized dealer for a firmware update .... huh??? ... since when do I have to go to a dealer for an update and where is the data input for such?

So tonight I did the 2x trick for the audio output which did help for the sound from my headphones but it's still really lacking in my M-Audio monitor speakers .... guess the only option is to invest in some higher powered amped speakers to get some decent sound output or some advice.

Right now as it stands the only way I can get good sound output is to route it through my Zoom H2 .... hmmmmm .... I need some audiophile geek help here because I surely am not.
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good solution for now then get yourself a DI box. It will make your WaveDrum louder and cleaner.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI20.aspx

Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
tablaninja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the technician has to open the Wavedrum up to download the patch because there is no external input, guess he has to connect to the board (i guess that's what a header plug is?) or something. Korg even had to write a specific procedure for the tech to go by.
I think this was an emergency fix from Korg. If they had planned to offer firmware updates they would have given it a usb port for sure.
either way, i love the HELL outta my wavedrum and the more i memorize the hieroglyphic menus, the more fun i have with the sounds. presets are great, but home grown sounds are completely off the wall!
gurulogic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little curious what a 2x volume actually is when appling the 2x setting? Technically, a doubling of gain is equal to only 3db actual sound increase which is only perceived as a tiny boost, wheras doubling the perceived volume is about a 10db increase. Some boring info to look at if anyone cares: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

I'm starting to think I am going to need a preamp but I would generally rather not let B*hringer pres colour or add noise to the nice sounds from my Wavedrum

Also, does anyone know if the Wavedrum line outs are balanced or unbalanced? Not really much info on the specs page in the manual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: