Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroSampler or ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FwuffyTheBunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: MicroSampler or ? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new here and am thinking about buying a microsampler. Ive done a lot of research, but I still have some questions, so maybe you guys can help me.

I want a keyboard I can load drum sounds into, and play, real time, and loop/record to overdub everything. And be able to load in string samples and bass samples, and play them chromatically on the keys. And again, record them, and add them to the loop.

It seems like the microsampler is limited when it comes to storage of samples. That is my main concern. But I like it's price.

And also, if I load say a 4 second violin sample. Where the sample is one continuous note. Will the microsampler keep it going as long as I hold down the key? Or will I notice the note stutter like when it repeats?

Thanks!

EDIT **
And one more thing.
I'm not looking for anything professional, just sort of a portable mini jam studio all packed into a keyboard. Just to be able to pick it up and make some tunes. When I get bored, load in some new samples.

And I hear that you can't change the loop bank while the pattern is playing? But if I swap banks, can I restart it? And add the new samples from the new bank, onto the old samples that are looped in my pattern?
floccipocci

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MicroSampler or ? Reply with quote

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:

I want a keyboard I can load drum sounds into, and play, real time, and loop/record to overdub everything. And be able to load in string samples and bass samples, and play them chromatically on the keys. And again, record them, and add them to the loop.

That can be done using the pattern sequencer.

As for keyboard:
One limitation is that you can only map one root sample, across the entire keyboard. No flexible keyboard mapping. What this means is that, the further the played key is from the root pitch, the... "weirder" the sound (though pitch shifted correctly) - like chipmunk mode for instruments, depending on the sample being used.

However, there are various workarounds for this, just search for my old posts, which is useful if you are working primarily with the pattern sequencer.

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:

And also, if I load say a 4 second violin sample. Where the sample is one continuous note. Will the microsampler keep it going as long as I hold down the key? Or will I notice the note stutter like when it repeats?

This one is a little bit tricky. If you've used samplers such as AKAI or Reason's NN-XT, apart from the playback start and end markers, there are separate "loop markers" to define a region of the sample as a loop, which is used for your above-mentioned feature. The MS unfortunately does not have separate markers for loop playback. Only the playback start and end are used for the loop.

So the problem is this:
1) For a seamless loop, the start and end needs to be consistent (for example, the sustain part of the sample's envelope).
2) There are only start and end playback markers which are also used for looping (no separate loop markers as I mentioned above).
Which means:
You lose the ADSR envelope, and the entire sample is required to be of a sustain nature, in order to have infinite... play.
Of course, you still need to set the right start and end markers for no clicks.

Other solutions would be sampling more time, or hoping that the click sound is masked by other instruments or something like that.
FwuffyTheBunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great answer! Thank you for alot of help!
So it seems like I still want this unit, I can work around the chipmunk keyboard mapping. I don't need bang on notes, just a portable instument I can jam on.

So I think I only have one question left.

The keyboard mapping.

If I have all my keys full of samples, can I choose one, and spread it across the keys, and play it chromatically with the keys? Then play it, add it too the loop, and go back into the sample mode, where my keys are samples again. And then choose another sample to spread across the keys, and add it to the loop as well. And keep going, etc.

If that is totally possible, then I think I'm sold on this unit.
floccipocci

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS stores the samples into keys on the keyboard. Because of this, there are modes of playing them back.

MS has two modes:

1) Keyboard mode
With a knob, you can select the sample you want to play as a keyboard. Like keyboard mapping. e.g. much like choosing a piano, guitar etc sound on a Yamaha or Casio keyboard, one of those portable keyboard thingies. Chromatically.

Root key is C3, however if you need to play somewhere else on the keyboard far from the root (e.g. A3), you require a closer root key, but MS does not do it. BUT There's a simple effective workaround to that.

2) Sample mode
This is the main mode. Samples are stored in the keys. To play the sample (loop, gate, one shot, whatever), you hit the key. e.g. much like choosing the drum patch on a Yamaha or Casio keyboard whatever, you have a key for kick, snare, etc. and keys that have loops.

I've done this before:
Go into sample mode, do a loop hold (like an invisible finger pressing down on a key) on a drum loop, bass line loop and pad loop. Then go into keyboard mode and jam over it with a sampled synth lead instrument.

Another thing I did was program a basic track with a sequencer. And jam in sample mode (to turn on and off more loop layers), and jam in keyboard mode for a while. Then go to sample mode, use real-time FX to do a transition (e.g. HF sweep), loop hold a new layer and then keyboard mode, play a new lead. (But the real thing wasn't as graceful as I just described. Very Happy )
FwuffyTheBunny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Just one more thing, sorry, haha.

Can I add multiple lead lines? I heard that you can only have one lead line looping from the keyboard mode.

So can I:

Play drums, real time, and have it record, and keep playing back.
Take a piano sample, into keyboard mode, and play a line, real time, and record it.
Then take a violin sample, into keyboard mode, and play a line, real time, and record it onto of the rest?
And build like that.

People have said that you can only used one sample in keyboard mode, and once you have that recorded into your song, you cannot do it again with another sample. Is this true?

If so, then the microkorg has failed.
I assumed that you could endlessly build ontop of your recording, like the same way a kaossilator does. That makes sense. If they limit you to one, then I'm not going to buy one.
floccipocci

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:
Excellent!

Play drums, real time, and have it record, and keep playing back.
Take a piano sample, into keyboard mode, and play a line, real time, and record it.
Then take a violin sample, into keyboard mode, and play a line, real time, and record it onto of the rest?
And build like that.

That is theoretically possible to do, but very very very very hard to do. One major obstacle is that the sample does not automatically playback after recording (which the kaossilator does).

A bigger obstacle is, whatever you're sampling is also output to the main, that is, if you're thinking of overdubbing in a live performance, your input monitor is mixed with the playback output. No internal audio routing of any kind to separate the monitor onto another output channel (a feature that we would like!)

So far, the sampling function of the MS is used for storing clips in preparation or building elements for a song being composed. Not very practical for sampling during live performance.

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:

People have said that you can only used one sample in keyboard mode, and once you have that recorded into your song, you cannot do it again with another sample. Is this true?

Yeah, that's true unfortunately. Switching the samples in keyboard mode will change the timbre of whatever is recorded in keyboard mode. The keyboard mode, seems to me, is treated as one MIDI track. (No multiple keyboard tracks - so no multiple leads.) However, the samples the keyboard is playing can changed between pattern numbers. (That is, you're not stuck to using only one lead timbre for 16 patterns - Keyboard can play piano in pattern one, guitar can be played on pattern two, etc. The selected sample for the keyboard mode is saved in the pattern)

However, a workaround to this is to resample the recorded performance. This will free up the... for lack of a better description... keyboard mode MIDI track.

Resampling is like bouncing a track, instead of hard disk, it is bouncing the audio output of the MS into a key. (Much like getting the MS to sample itself) (This workaround is also used for the 1 FX at any one time limit)

(The above method adopts the working style of the loop record function of the Kaossilator - The loop records the audio output, not the MIDI notes, so that's why there is infinite overdub).

I just take the sequencing tool as a scratch pad. When I need to add more stuff and I'm already at the limit, I just do a resample and then I get more space to work with. (I got the MS for its sampling function, not the sequencer Very Happy )
FwuffyTheBunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a real letdown. The microsampler is not for me.

Is there a sampling keyboard that does what I'm looking for. Preferably in a small size?

Just a keyboard that can store samples via usb or sd card or some type of storage. And play each one chromatically across the keys, and record it on the machine, and be able to choose another sample to play and record over top of the first?

So a kaossilator-like style for loop and layers. But plays back my samples, all housed in a keyboard.

Does that exist? It seems like it should and it's crazy if not.
darthballs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:
Is there a sampling keyboard that does what I'm looking for. Preferably in a small size?

as far as I know, this is as close as you're gonna get. the sampler/looper market these days is quite small, so your product choices are pretty limited. and also as far as i know, this is the ONLY robust sampler that comes in keyboard formfactor. (i think ROMplers and other workstations with sampling capabilities may offer something close to what you're looking for, but they're quite larger)

here's some equipment suggestions for you to do some research on (I've been looking into these for a while trying to decide what to go with, each is around $500)

for a SAMPLER, look at the Roland SP404SX. it's a newly released update to the original SP404, and a very robust sampler. the only problem is it (like all other samplers), does not autoplay a loop after recording it, making it difficult to use for a live performance

for LOOPERS, look into
- Boss RC series (2, 20XL, 50)
- Jamman series (new versions called the Jamman Stereo and Solo are coming end of this month)
these are both pedals to record loops, and they will autoplay your loop when you are finished recording
- KP3 or Kaossilator Pro - either one will loop just fine, KP3 will have more effects, the KOP will have more synth features. however they have their own issues - they will not stay synced with your other gear (so you CANNOT use either of these if you plan on using other tempo-sensitive gear in your setup, such as another drum machine)

so I guess first figure out what you're going to use this sampler/looper for (ie: live performance vs studio), and then you're down to a couple choices
FwuffyTheBunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was wanting some type of all in one package, built into a keyboard, but portable.

Sound like I won't find it.

I do have an mpc500 though, which I can just use as a drum machine.
Next I want a synth that can have ANY of my samples in it, and play them into the mpc to build a song.

I don't plan on making quality stuff, just instruments to jam on with a buddy or too.

So my friend can play drums on the mpc, and start building up a pattern, while I play with some bass sounds on a synth, and come up with a line. Then hook it into the mpc and build it together. Then add some strings to it and such.

I no the mpc has building capabilities, but what synth should I get?

I can either get a stand alone synth, like a microkorg, and just use the built ins, but I have alot of string and bass, etc, samples that I want to use chromatically across the keyboard.

So is the microsampler still a good choice for that purpose? Or is there a cheaper sampling keyboard?

Or maybe just use a midi controller keyboard through say, FL studio, and control my samples thatway, and output the sound into the mpc to record and loop it?

I just want some physical hardware to jam on with friends, and build some rap/techno/anything. Just chillin making some beats and tunes.

I no this could all be done with software and a midi keyboard, but I'm in it for the fun of playing it, not actually saving it, mastering it, and using it.
darthballs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:
So my friend can play drums on the mpc, and start building up a pattern, while I play with some bass sounds on a synth, and come up with a line. Then hook it into the mpc and build it together. Then add some strings to it and such.

haha that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to get a setup for.. it's not easy piecing everything together when everything costs half a grand Sad

so far I have a Korg R3 and an Akai XR-20 drum machine, and I'm looking into a good live-use sampler/looper so I can build a song piece by piece using different patches on the synth. again for this use specifically, I was gonna go with the Kaossilator Pro, since it'll be able to sample and loop, plus have the added bonus of its own onboard synths and drum accompanyments to add even more sounds. however, since it (most likely) will not be able to keep sync'ed with my drum machine, this is no longer an option for me.

if you have a friend who will be playing the MPC live though, it may not be such a big issue, and it may be an option for you to look at.

oh and another thing, the Alesis Micron has a basic built in sequencer where you can "record" a loop using its sounds, with autoplayback after "sampling".. there's a video on youtube of someone playing MGMT - Kids like this that you can check out. he drops the bass line, the sequencer picks it up and immediately plays it back after, he changes the patch and drops the accompanyment, etc.

FwuffyTheBunny wrote:

I can either get a stand alone synth, like a microkorg, and just use the built ins, but I have alot of string and bass, etc, samples that I want to use chromatically across the keyboard.

So is the microsampler still a good choice for that purpose? Or is there a cheaper sampling keyboard?

hopefully someone here will be answer that for you, but I think one of the MicroSampler's key pitch points is that you can sample a sound and then have it automatically map it across the entire keyboard by pitch, which is what you're trying to do. I haven't played with one personally, but it looks like you might have to test drive one yourself (I personally hate doing this to Guitar Center/Sam Ash, but it's by far the best and quickest way to see if the gear is what you're looking for since it will inevitably have some tiny little flaw that you couldn't see coming and ask in a forum beforehand).
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can indeed pitch samples chromatically but beware that playing too many semitones away from the original sample will create the chipmunk effect. So the answer would be to sample every few semitones. But then you will probably run out of memory.. LOL

I don't know why memory has had such a mean non flexible allocation. Surely KORG don't expect samples to be constantly loaded via USB on stage..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: