Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg ever make a 61 key sampler keyboard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Will Korg ever make a 61 key sampler keyboard? Reply with quote

This 37 key 14 note micro keyboard is a total toy and near joke.

Why build so cheap and small?

1. Where is the external card slot to store sample data?

2. Where is the 61 key version that makes this great idea more than a toy attempt at creating the sampling keyboard?

3. Why I get the feeling looking at this keyboard that Korg intentionally designed a half hearted approach to sampling?

Hey Korg can you make us a dedicated 61 key sampling keyboard with up to date specs and external storage options, large memory capacity, intuitive user interface display, etc ???

I think this is what the keyboard world have been missing in this over saturated world of over and over sample playback ROMplers.

C"mon Korg give us something much better and bigger then this cheap toy known as the Micro Sampler.

How about a "Mega Sampler" ?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a workstation. Look at the M3, OASYS, Triton Studio/Classic/Extreme/TR/LE, Trinity...

The whole idea of the microSampler is that it is micro, taking after the popularity of the microKorg series mini-synths. The Micro series is considered a bit more toy-like, not as professional as the other synths will full size keyboards, more features, etc. Like:
MicroKorg XL < R3 < Radias
MicroKorg < MS2000
MicroSampler < ?ESX? < M3 < OASYS
(or < Triton < Triton Extreme)
MicroKontrol < Kontrol49
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
kday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a "Workstation" I have three already.

I was asking about the possibility of Korg making a 61 key 'dedicated' sampling keyboard that's not the toy 37 key microsampler.

The MicroSampler kinda sucks as a sampler for wanna be serious folks.

If it was 61 key, I could overlook many of it toy quality flaws.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can see 3 workstations would definitely be enough. Wink

A Pro/61 key version of The MicroSampler would be great but would tread on the toes of the M3 so probably won't happen.

The MS needs both a hardware & software revision - and a transpose button would help extend its usefulness. (However I could see this giving problems with chromatic translation).

I wish there was more dialog with KORG, like there is with Kurzweil, but then they have been generally roasted for the Microsampler - so they would have to be on the defensive.

I still think it's a great idea that is nearly brilliant. Had it been better it would have reached icon status - maybe the MS2?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:
Yes I can see 3 workstations would definitely be enough. Wink

A Pro/61 key version of The MicroSampler would be great but would tread on the toes of the M3 so probably won't happen.

That is what I was going to say.
There isn't enough of a gap in the market to sell both a workstation and a 'mini sampler'. Most workstations are heavily sample based, but there aren't many small synths that are based on samples.

a pro-sampler keyboard would detract sales from the top end of MicroSampler buyers and the bottom end of M3 buyers.

AFAIK, none or few of the other big manufacturers have dedicated sample based boards. I hear good things about the Korg DSS-1 though! Wink
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
kday

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:

Well a "pro/61" key version of the micro sampler would complement the M3 or any of their ROMpler synths. Because they are not really full fledge samplers used for sampling but more of an add on me too type of sampling option.

A 61 key sampler would influence buyers to buy more "korg" products.

Many people who buy one particular brand of synths usually favor the same brand for other products too quite often. So I think this would be an instant hit with all Korg synth owners immediatedly.

People are tired of the same old rehash of ROMpler sounds re-packaged, re-compressed and re-sold to the same people who have the previous half of synth sounds from last years model keyboard.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kday wrote:
lloydsmith wrote:

Well a "pro/61" key version of the micro sampler would complement the M3 or any of their ROMpler synths. Because they are not really full fledge samplers used for sampling but more of an add on me too type of sampling option.

you can already load samples on the M3, you can sequence, and add plenty of effects, resample, in-track recording, etc. Filters, attack, release.

I mean I know plenty of people buy things for the presets or for just the sake of having something new, but if you had an M3 and still wanted a 61-key sampler, then I think you'd just be not using your gear very efficiently.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have the perspective of a gear collector rather than working musician. Suggest - rather than arguing with us - you email KORG with your requirements.

Which workstations do you have by the way - one of them surely must sample to a satisfactory level or why would you have them?
kday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

you can already load samples on the M3, you can sequence, and add plenty of effects, resample, in-track recording, etc. Filters, attack, release.

I mean I know plenty of people buy things for the presets or for just the sake of having something new, but if you had an M3 and still wanted a 61-key sampler, then I think you'd just be not using your gear very efficiently.

But the M3 is ugly and awkward, and gives a feeling of a module on top of a keyboard controller with an undesirable color. So that buyers would look to Korgs next great synth as a way of escaping the M3 feeling type of synth.

See the thing is the potential thousands of folks who may want to buy a dedicated sampler keyboard by any synth manufacture, may not want or can afford a Korg M3 which comes with lots of extra bells and whistles.

There is a whole separate segment of keyboard buyers out there that may want to spend for the high level of sampling sophistication and ease of use that usually comes with the dedicated sampling keyboard instead of the watered down or more complicated options offered in synthesizers.

Quote:

You seem to have the perspective of a gear collector rather than working musician. Suggest - rather than arguing with us - you email KORG with your requirements.

You're backwards with this statement.

I have the perspective of a working musician that uses and needs the products rather than someone looking to collect a bunch of them for show.

As far as emailing Korg you may be a dollar short and a day late. Been there and already done that. Nobody's "arguing" with you or anybody it just may be that you're arguing with yourself internally. This a typical conversation among participants.
kday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:

Which workstations do you have by the way - one of them surely must sample to a satisfactory level or why would you have them?

I own ES6, Fantom X and Alesis Fusion

I bought them for what they are synthesizers, and not their poor sampling capabilities. I did hear sampling is a little better in the Fantom G though. Their sampling options suck in comparison to dedicated samplers. Most people probably buy today's synthesizers for the synthesizer capabilities.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand loyalty is not the aim of most serious musicians as far as I know - cute as it is to have everything with matching labels..

If you wonder why you are largely being ignored on here I'll hazard a guess.

You introduce yourself on these forums with an aggressive, off-topic post.

You petulantly rubbish the Microsampler for not being what you want - and miss the point that it is a ***M.i.c.r.o.S.a.m.p.l.e.r***

Throughout this 'discussion' you shoot down rational points made with sweeping generalizations about what 'people want'.

It's laughable. I am wondering why you think posting to KORG on here is preferable to contacting them directly? If they did not listen to a direct communication why in heaven would they listen now to someone who is trashing one of their products on a public forum?

As to fussing over the look of the M3 - the Fusion is hardly an oil painting after all, but I'm sure that doesn't get in the way of you using it, neither would it me if I were brave enough to struggle with its well documented idiosyncracies.

Will it get the job done? That is the bottom line you should apply to any music tool or you end up looking like one.

I respectfully suggest that if you are unwilling to work with what you have already - you go the software route instead of clamouring for something that probably ain't gonna happen someday soon.

Then I'd get on and make music if I were you - but then I'm not am I?

Anyway - quote away - I'm done here. Rolling Eyes Shocked
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the M3 is ugly and awkward, and gives a feeling of a module on top of a keyboard controller with an undesirable color. So that buyers would look to Korgs next great synth as a way of escaping the M3 feeling type of synth.

haha, wow that's rude.

I think most are looking for a sampling interface. Like a big button that says "SAMPLE" and another button that sats "START POINT" and a little square that says "TRUNCATE" and a large LED/Screen that shows the waveform view and lets you trim by eyesight. We want a large internal hard drive (Memory Cards are a nice option) and USB connectivity since so many samples come from/go to the PC.

Bascially an ASR-10 with internal storage and USB. That cost $2,200 when it was new, goes for about $400 now; over ten years later.

I think you're supposed to be using the Grooveboxes if sampling is your big thing. If you want to do light (micro) amounts of sampling then this forum is where you belong.

The M3/Fantom/Motif is a synthesizer that can sample.
The MV800/MPC 5000 are samplers that can synthesize.
Elektron Machine drum have a hybrid product.

I don't know if anyone is ever going to make both.
really, that person should have a drum machine and synthesizer connected and choose the sampling style/priority while they pick which half to splurge on.

The Radikal Tech Spectralis is another hybrid approach.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people were really that dissatisfied with the sampling on the Triton series and the M3, then why are there so many samples freely (and paid) available?

I do love new ideas, but I still get the impression this would impact on the sales of too many other existing products. There is every possibility that you could use a TR, Triton LE, Triton Studio, or even the M3 purely as a sequencer and sampler. I've actually thought the M3M makes a great groovebox killer, with KARMA and those trigger pads.

assuming you're talking about keyboard sampling. what exactly do you want from a sampler?
kday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:
Brand loyalty is not the aim of most serious musicians as far as I know - cute as it is to have everything with matching labels..

If you wonder why you are largely being ignored on here I'll hazard a guess.

You introduce yourself on these forums with an aggressive, off-topic post.

You petulantly rubbish the Microsampler for not being what you want - and miss the point that it is a ***M.i.c.r.o.S.a.m.p.l.e.r***

Throughout this 'discussion' you shoot down rational points made with sweeping generalizations about what 'people want'.

:

Dude, take the foot out you a**

What makes you think folks wants to argue with you about your own psychological problems?

We can discuss issues in a civil manner or we can look at you run your mouth about your dissatisfaction to asking the possibilities of korg someday expanding the sampling keyboard line to include a 61 key MEGAsampler.

Quote:

I think most are looking for a sampling interface. Like a big button that says "SAMPLE" and another button that sats "START POINT" and a little square that says "TRUNCATE" and a large LED/Screen that shows the waveform view and lets you trim by eyesight. We want a large internal hard drive (Memory Cards are a nice option) and USB connectivity since so many samples come from/go to the PC.

Bascially an ASR-10 with internal storage and USB. That cost $2,200 when it was new, goes for about $400 now; over ten years later.

This would be a brilliant idea. Companies would make this if they got enough support even verbally what the public is interested in buying. It's just japanese synth makers weren't the innovators of sampling and sorta came late with a half hearted approach to sampling. EMU, Ensoniq & Akai started the low cost sampling after the bigger Fairlight, and Sinclavier introduced sampling at house prices. Ensoniq totally innovated the low cost sampling keyboard market before being bought out trying to enter the computer interface card market.

But I would pay up to about $2,000 for a 61 key version of even the MPC5000. Akai did once make sampling keyboards but they were extremely big and extra heavy to the point they became unusable commercially so they focused on MPC boxes. But can't seem to think why they totally abandoned a sampling keyboard when they over saturated the market with groovebox samplers.

Quote:
If people were really that dissatisfied with the sampling on the Triton series and the M3, then why are there so many samples freely (and paid) available?

See that's the scheme for marketing.

Manufactures give you overly complicated sampling procedures in synths so they can inspire you to buy their 3rd party sample products. Sorta same way they do with sound cards & boards. They give you some stuff in the synth then we often find you often get better in the extra cards. It's all marketing.

We would probably never get the perfectly easy, simple and sophisticated sampler in a synth or a keyboard sampler below $1500.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kday wrote:

Manufactures give you overly complicated sampling procedures in synths so they can inspire you to buy their 3rd party sample products. Sorta same way they do with sound cards & boards. They give you some stuff in the synth then we often find you often get better in the extra cards. It's all marketing.

I actually meant third party products, not the sample sets available from KORG. There are plenty of korg format samples about, and programs to go with them, for either the M3 or Triton series.

Quote:

We would probably never get the perfectly easy, simple and sophisticated sampler in a synth or a keyboard sampler below $1500.

I'm fairly sure the two are mutually exclusive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: