Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convert Backing Sequences to Midi or Laptop Use - Korg i3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene5848

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Convert Backing Sequences to Midi or Laptop Use - Korg i3 Reply with quote

I have many sequences that I created on my i3 and saved on floppy disks. I would really appreciate someone helping me with the method in which "backing sequences" that I have saved on floppy disks can be converted / saved on to my laptop. I am at a total loss and not that technically advanced......I would appreciate all the help & suggestions I can get.....Thanks...gene
shirreff

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an I3 and I have transferred all my tracks to my pc.
What I did was fairly long winded but it worked for me and as it was a one off I did not mind spending the time.
First off you need a midi interface, very cheap. You don't need to spend lots, just a simple usb to midi adaptor.
Then you need a sequencing program, I use Cakewalk's Sonar but there is many available like Cubase, Steinberg and I am sure there will be free applications on the internet.
It may take a little while to get the hang of the programs but it will be well worth it.
Once you have your sequencing program it is just a case of recording your stuff onto the pc. You can record it all onto one track but best is to record all the simultaneously onto individual tracks.
You set each track on your sequencing program to different midi channel and set it to use the I3 for timing (sync) then press record on your pc and play on the keyboard.
I tried many ways to get the files transferred with having to record but this is the only way that worked for me.
Once the songs are recorded I used the sequencer mode on the I3 and the pc plays the tracks.
If you use SONAR I could send you a template that I used to save time which had 16 tracks all set up ready to record.
SONAR is not cheap but an older version (I use 6) will be available on the net somewhere quite cheap.
What ever you use I am sure I can guide you through, once you have done one song it will be pretty straight forward.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Just had a second thought.
If you just want to save the midi data you can do this using midi ox which is free to download. You still need a midi interface and then you just dump all info onto the pc.
That works but you cannot use that information on the pc it is purely a way to save, send and receive data.
gene5848

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: I3 Sequences to Midi conversion Reply with quote

Thank you !! I will give it a try...I do have Cubebase (still in the box), just have to learn how to use that proficiently. You also mention just using " MIDI OX". If I were to use the MODi OX and dump everything into the LapTop, Is there some way that it will actually reproduce the music...or is it strickly for storing....Thanks Again....Gene
shirreff

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Midi ox just for storing.
If the files were in GM format you would be able to open them up in cubase but I don't know if you can dump the files in GM format, if you can then that would be the quickest route.
I am sure I tried all that with my stuff but ended up doing it the long way.
gene5848

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: I3 SEQUENCES to Midi Reply with quote

I really do appreciate all the info......About a year ago, I thought I was on the right tack when I discovered that once you load a backing sequence, it can then be saved as a "standard midi file" with the I3....I then saved that midi file and loaded the file into the laptop, however, when playing back, some instruments were missing, others had altered instrumentation, but it did in fact play. Therefore I thought there was an easy fix!......thanks again
shirreff

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great.
The midi file should contain all your data, if some tracks were missing and the sounds were wrong it may well be because it is the wrong format or the sounds you have chosen are not on the gm list. I am not totally clued up on GM.
But when you open the midi file in Cubase it should be split up into separate tracks which you can then edit.
The midi files usually have some system exclusive data which can make it a bit messy, you will need to find out how you delete it if it is causing problems.
For example. you use fretless bass and want to change it to synth bass.
Every time you change it in cubase it jumps back to fretless at the start of playback. That is because there is some system exclusive data telling cubase what sound to use and you need to delete it, the same will be said for volume control.
Once you master that side of things then you will be sorted.
I often use midi files I have downloaded and I Remove all the system exclusive data, program change messages and volume messages. I then have a clean base to start from.
Keep me posted..... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i-Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: