Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aidan Zammit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: My first impressions Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I just bought the SV1-73. Although I have a pretty big collection of new and vintage boards, it really seems like the right piano for a tour I'm about to start. Currently the SV1 is in my studio and I'm preparing my patches for the show.

I love the sounds and the keyboard response. The effects totally rock. I sure wish I didn't have to use the editor to write the patches (outside the meagre 8 "Favorites"). In this case it's not a huge issue because I happen to be using a MacBook Pro alongside. Still, it's rather a nuisance.

Here are some characteristics that might be giving me some problems on the gig, and I sure hope Korg will improve them with their next sw update:

1) Changing any program sends out a number of controller messages: including cc121 and a full 127 on cc7. I control some external sounds over midi and their volume obviously shoots up to maximum each time I change a patch on the Korg. Definitely a no-no. There really should be some way to disable sending those controllers on patch change.

2) For some reason the acoustic piano sounds seem to have a lower volume than the other sound categories. I REALLY need to be able to program volumes into the patches to get the right balance. There is some control for (mono) sounds using the amp model, but otherwise I can't think of a way.

3) How about a setting to change the 2nd layer volume with the controller pedal?

Best regards to all,

Aidan

Korg Kronos X, Korg SV1, Korg R3, Yamaha Motif ES6, Yamaha P120, Rhodes 88 mk1, Wurlitzer A200, Clavinet D6, Moog Minimoog D, ARP Odyssey, Yamaha CS15, Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SK20. Cubase Pro 8. PT 9. Lotsa virtual instruments.
Narfig

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good results using the limiter to even out the volume of various sounds. You can edit it through the editor.

It's really handy for making the rhodes more expressive. I can play soft and get a quiet tone without losing all of the volume.
Aidan Zammit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Narfig - it's a good workaround

Korg Kronos X, Korg SV1, Korg R3, Yamaha Motif ES6, Yamaha P120, Rhodes 88 mk1, Wurlitzer A200, Clavinet D6, Moog Minimoog D, ARP Odyssey, Yamaha CS15, Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SK20. Cubase Pro 8. PT 9. Lotsa virtual instruments.
Aidan Zammit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bump for my message Wink

I've used the SV1 on a 50 concert tour, with at least 100,000 spectators. Nothing but praise for the board and it's real-time tweak-able capabilities...

Still, I had a couple of mishaps due to the midi volume problem and sure wish it could be fixed....

1) Changing any program sends out a number of controller messages: including cc121 and a full 127 on cc7. I control some external sounds over midi and their volume obviously shoots up to maximum each time I change a patch on the Korg. Definitely a no-no. There really should be some way to disable sending those controllers on patch change.

2) How about a setting to change the 2nd layer volume with the controller pedal?

X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan Zammit wrote:
A little bump for my message Wink

I've used the SV1 on a 50 concert tour, with at least 100,000 spectators. Nothing but praise for the board and it's real-time tweak-able capabilities...

Still, I had a couple of mishaps due to the midi volume problem and sure wish it could be fixed....

2) How about a setting to change the 2nd layer volume with the controller pedal?

You will most likely not get a reply from KORG here as it is not their forum. You should contact your national KORG distributor with support and suggestions, etc.

Using a compressor or limiter on the output is a must if you're after a more even volume response, and is typical for playing on stage.

Also, on whatever software or hardware you're using for your external sounds, you should be able to disable the receipt of MIDI controllers such as volume, etc.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Aidan Zammit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply X-Trade. I know that Korg people occasionally monitor this board, and that 's one reason I posted. I solved the volume problem using the limiter, as had already been suggested.

The midi volume one is not so simple. I need my external units to respond to ctrl 7. I just don't want the SV1 to send a ctrl 7-127 each time I change a patch! Can't think of a solution, outside that of attaching a midi filter box to the midi out.

Regards,

Aidan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: