Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Beyond iPad...how about Android phone and PC computers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Going Beyond iPad...how about Android phone and PC computers Reply with quote

It really is a shame that this is only for iPad considering that the iPad is just a "not so useful" version of a touch screen computer. HP will be coming out with their "Slate" which is just a full on computer that is just touch screen based as well as many other PC manufacturers. Also It would have been nice to see this on the Google Droid phones. Even more, this should have been usable on ANY and ALL Mac computers.

Dedication to the over sized iTouch AKA iPad is very short sited.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
bog

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Beyond iPad...how about Android phone and PC compu Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
It really is a shame that this is only for iPad considering that the iPad is just a "not so useful" version of a touch screen computer.

It really is a shame that Windows/Android fanboys (read: jealous Apple haters) lack the imagination to see how actually useful the iPad is. Just take a look at the myriad of touch-controlled synths and other creative apps available for iphone/ipad already. Not to mention Beatmaker, iElectribe, iDrum, TouchOSC, AC-7 Pro, midiPAD, chipPAD, iSample, Sketchbook Pro, Brushes...etc.

SMK wrote:
HP will be coming out with their "Slate" which is just a full on computer that is just touch screen based as well as many other PC manufacturers.

HP just cancelled their plan for a "Slate" running Windows because they realized that "full on computers" with touch screens have already existed for a decade and failed. They're most likely going to put Palm's phone OS on their eventual product because they knew a Windows 7 slate with a netbook processor is going to have sucky battery life and poor performance. Not to mention Windows 7 being an OS designed mainly for mouse and keyboard (same goes for all Windows software) and their touch implementation is more suited for stylus input. Microsoft also just admitted that Courier was just vaporware.

SMK wrote:
Also It would have been nice to see this on the Google Droid phones. Even more, this should have been usable on ANY and ALL Mac computers.

Android multitouch capabilities are still very lacking and far behind iphone/ipad. As for this being on any Mac or PC computers, again, iElectribe is about multitouch using your fingers. You're not going get close to the workflow of iElectribe or the real hardware one by clicking around with a mouse.

SMK wrote:

It's actually written "short sighted" and your post very much was.
plosive

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Going Beyond iPad...how about Android phone and PC compu Reply with quote

bog wrote:
SMK wrote:
It really is a shame that this is only for iPad considering that the iPad is just a "not so useful" version of a touch screen computer.

It really is a shame that Windows/Android fanboys (read: jealous Apple haters) lack the imagination to see how actually useful the iPad is. Just take a look at the myriad of touch-controlled synths and other creative apps available for iphone/ipad already. Not to mention Beatmaker, iElectribe, iDrum, TouchOSC, AC-7 Pro, midiPAD, chipPAD, iSample, Sketchbook Pro, Brushes...etc.

Not nearly as annoying as Apple fanboys that refuse to accept the limitations of such products. I own a touch, ipad, and a macbook and I totally agree with the OP.

Quote:

SMK wrote:
HP will be coming out with their "Slate" which is just a full on computer that is just touch screen based as well as many other PC manufacturers.

HP just cancelled their plan for a "Slate" running Windows because they realized that "full on computers" with touch screens have already existed for a decade and failed. They're most likely going to put Palm's phone OS on their eventual product because they knew a Windows 7 slate with a netbook processor is going to have sucky battery life and poor performance. Not to mention Windows 7 being an OS designed mainly for mouse and keyboard (same goes for all Windows software) and their touch implementation is more suited for stylus input. Microsoft also just admitted that Courier was just vaporware.

Same thing for the MASS majority of OSX applications, they're not built for Multitouch input and would find little benefit from it. As for the OS itself, you apparently dont know anything about Windows 7. Pity about the Slate but there are already a multitude of multi-touch tablets out that can run any OS and iPad was far from being the first or best. It's great at what it does and Apple rolled out a great product and benefit from all the work that non-Apple devs do for it due to the popularity of its app store, which is driven by the popularity of the iPhone.

Quote:

SMK wrote:
Also It would have been nice to see this on the Google Droid phones. Even more, this should have been usable on ANY and ALL Mac computers.

Android multitouch capabilities are still very lacking and far behind iphone/ipad. As for this being on any Mac or PC computers, again, iElectribe is about multitouch using your fingers. You're not going get close to the workflow of iElectribe or the real hardware one by clicking around with a mouse.

The multi-touch of the iER is barely useable at all due to the design of the interface. It has no multi-touch only features and is mostly point and click/turn and would just as smoothly work as a AU/VST with a mouse. As for the "capabilities" of Android, again.. you show you know little of the OS.

Quote:

SMK wrote:

It's actually written "short sighted" and your post very much was.

You appear to be the short-sighted one because you can't see past your favorite little devices and brand devotion. The OP is exactly right, the iER and any following products would be aces for other platforms as well and would easily fit in/work there.

Just because someone states obvious reasons or a desire for something on another platform doesnt mean its a cue for Apple-trolling. This is why so many Apple users embarrass other users and have a bad rep as trolls and sheep. Try looking @ the comments section of a Windows 7 post @ some news site.. 90% apple-only fanboy trolls. It's absurdly annoying to me as a long time Apple user.

Don't get me wrong, what Apple is and has done to move forward Touch technology is AWESOME and the future is bright for everyone... but that's EVERYONE... not just Apple products and I refuse to limit myself to a single company or to attach myself to Branding. I dont care about companies and they dont care about me, I don't fall for that s**t.. they're after profits pure and simple. What I do care about is good software and 99% of that doesn't come from the companies that own the OS's and no OS is at a strict advantage over another... Windows = great os, shitloads of free multimedia software. also great in an office workplace. OSX = great os, not nearly as much software but the ones that are there are great and often unique... not so great or useful in the office setting. Linux/Unix = pays my bills and runs the world.
bog

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Going Beyond iPad...how about Android phone and PC compu Reply with quote

plosive wrote:
Not nearly as annoying as Apple fanboys that refuse to accept the limitations of such products. I own a touch, ipad, and a macbook and I totally agree with the OP.

Agree with what? That it's "just a "not so useful" version of a touch screen computer"? First off, it's not meant to replace or be compared to regular computers as we know it. And as for whether it's useful, I've already made my point.

plosive wrote:
Same thing for the MASS majority of OSX applications, they're not built for Multitouch input and would find little benefit from it.

Duh. My point stands for all software platforms designed for mouse and keyboard. You apparently mistook me for a Apple fanboy.

plosive wrote:
As for the OS itself, you apparently dont know anything about Windows 7. Pity about the Slate but there are already a multitude of multi-touch tablets out that can run any OS and iPad was far from being the first or best.

It's not about being able to run any OS. Windows 7’s multitouch support is a last minute hack, and simply can not compare to an operating system that has been built from the ground up with finger navigability in mind. There is a reason HP Slate won't ever run Windows if it ever comes out and why the Courier will never exist.

plosive wrote:
It's great at what it does and Apple rolled out a great product and benefit from all the work that non-Apple devs do for it due to the popularity of its app store, which is driven by the popularity of the iPhone.

And your point is? That Apple had nothing to do with their success? Apple did a great job with the iPad and was the only one who had the guts, vision, and execution to bring on the tablet/smartphone era, and for everyone else to follow. What else is new?

plosive wrote:
As for the "capabilities" of Android, again.. you show you know little of the OS.

Android OS itself is fine (although a bit clumsy) but currently there is no device that runs Android that works well with more than one finger.
plosive

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the obvious point and intent of the OP that it would be nice to see them spread their wings with the virtual electribes to other platforms, not the useless degrading remark regarding the ipad itself.

Quote:
It's not about being able to run any OS. Windows 7’s multitouch support is a last minute hack

again, you show you dont know what you are talking about. touch was a part of win7 from day 1.
bog

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:
Quote:
It's not about being able to run any OS. Windows 7’s multitouch support is a last minute hack

again, you show you dont know what you are talking about. touch was a part of win7 from day 1.

Windows 7’s touch features are largely a way to compensate for the absence of the keyboard-and-mouse configuration for which the OS and its applications were designed. It is a combination of the old pen-centric Tablet PC and the hand/finger-centric Surface Table. Many, if not most, of the feature remain pen-centric. Finger-tip touch control is an afterthought at best and simply ignored at worst, as already evidenced by netbooks with touchscreens running Windows 7. The reality is, most user interface components in Windows 7 still either assume or work best with the use of a mouse.
MikeScuba5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Android OS Reply with quote

Korg,
Please make an app like this for Android! I am a huge fan of your products and software variations of them. I even bought a used Nintendo DS just because of the awesome DS-10 software (MS-10 emulator) that set the standard for ultra portable soft synths. The iPad is a great product no doubt but Android users are rising rapidly and it would be unwise not to tap into this market. Plus Korg would be the first to offer a decent synth for Android market and I'm sure would sell many products with ease as they would have little competition. I'd easily pay twice what your offering the iElectribe for iPad if it were for Android OS. Lead the way Korg! Don't disappoint!
profgerbik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: i agree. i own Reply with quote

@plosive, lol i agree with the 2nd post above, someone actually knows what they are talking about, i found it hilarious bashing android so hard like it wouldnt be capable. its very capable in every way to run any of these programs korg has offered, they just dont offer them to this platform yet which is odd considering they make vst's for both mac and pc.

@bog, i own several electribes, the actual hardware sequencers. i can tell you first hand that you almost never use 2 hands with the actual hardware so what on earth would make you assume you need multitouch. im glad you own every apple product available but to me it doesnt seem like you know what your talking about at all really.

personally i think Korg has become mediocre and a overall cheap company thus this is a main reason they work so slowly now and provide mediocre products and instances such as this, in the 1960's they had a lot more passion and actually spent money to produce amazing products, now everything is made out of plastic, its no longer true analogue and they try to bring back the classics in the cheapest of ways.. when id gladly pay thousands of dollars for a new model of the MS-20 and MS-10, they also made a analogue vocoder also the VC-10, these are real synths and korg refuses for some reason to bring something back that did so well and people still die to have today. its truly sad that the only company that keeps it real these days in Moog, they have never cheapened there products just for mass production. im still waiting for the day Korg grows their balls back and gets back into the market with real analogue gear.
this digital age has really gone to far, analogue will and always has been the best sound period, nothing sounds better than actual sound being generated from circuits and not some simple preinstalled digital sound bank... god why korg why...

so i say seconds, thirds and fourths to this, i own a android and happened to come on this forum, me loving korg i had to say something the korg MS-20 the literally machine has been my favorite synth ever since i laid eyes on it and heard ladytron rock it hard.

so please korg make this for android, you know you want to and bring back analogue! the real deal knobs and all!!! i want to see crazy patch bays and get lost in my synth!! i shouldnt need a time machine to do so.
bog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: i agree. i own Reply with quote

profgerbik wrote:
i found it hilarious bashing android so hard like it wouldnt be capable. its very capable in every way to run any of these programs korg has offered, they just dont offer them to this platform yet which is odd considering they make vst's for both mac and pc.

There's actually lots of reasons. First and foremost is that Android as a platform (software and hardware) is not ready yet. This means lack of true multitouch hardware near the level of iOS devices. It also means lack of support for audio applications. And that's without even mentioning the inherently fragmented nature of Android devices making it harder for developers to write apps necessitating additional work of compatibility support for devices with different software/hardware implementations. This is also why TouchOSC for Android took this long to finally come out.

profgerbik wrote:
@bog, i own several electribes, the actual hardware sequencers. i can tell you first hand that you almost never use 2 hands with the actual hardware so what on earth would make you assume you need multitouch.

Shucks, I have owned almost every electribe, and I can tell you that I almost always use 2 hands at the same time when I use mine. It seems more like you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about at all.

profgerbik wrote:
its truly sad that the only company that keeps it real these days in Moog, they have never cheapened there products just for mass production.

You mean like this?:
http://filtatron.moogmusic.com
profgerbik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: nope not like that, nice try though. Reply with quote

im talking about their keyboards in general blow now. the microkorg wasnt half bad but since then they have gotten cheaper and smaller by the year. i havent wanted to buy anything by korg other than kaoss pads in forever and that just sucks they really dont have anything else more interesting. so no, moog is still keeping it real as hell, nice try though and completely missing the point of my rant.

im not bashing either or of these OS's like you are, im simply saying its possible and i know for a fact that it is and can work but because of product and contract limitations they just wont make them for android.

mostly everyone even on youtube would gladly tell you they spend more time thinking of a sequence and that really doesnt need 2 hands and i never said you dont use 2 hands. you barely use 2 hands ever, unless all you do is make music on this one machine which i dont really suggest any serious musician to stick to one instrument, i only use these as sampling and percussive tools the effects are sub par and i can easily get on my computer and open cubase or pro tools and get a lot better sound.

your logic behind it was far fetched and self centered, your basing everything off apple products regardless i think you wouldve mentioned that earlier if you owned electribe hardware.

2 times you had the chance to be like "i would know i own the hardware and use 2 hands and that would make more sense but sure you own them and obviously as some sort of 2 handed genius and act like its completely necessary for MULTITOUCH you literally say it so much like it builds these apps when it doesnt. if i lost one of my arms i could easily work any electribe just the same so i still dont understand your point. there are audio apps for the android that are actually quite impressive oh and guess what they are multitouch and work fine.

also what your claiming which makes no sense again considering you sound like you literally created the android OS yourself from the way you talk down about it, is that iOS has never had any problems with any of these apps, which is complete bull, they have run into problems just the same and just because it came out years ago they have much more time to think about how to make it work better when it failed at first, the huge difference between android and apple is android has many devices and can be put into anything that can handle it, its not just limited to one device which of course would make it easier, thats why its easier people release this for apple because its simply been around longer, by now android devices can handle and have proven they can easily, any of these apps offered that just arent offered yet.

its truly no different than Windows and Mac, multitouch doesnt build a app or make it good, a tool is a tool one hand or 2 doesnt really make it sound any different unless your using effects which unless your some dj like i said who uses nothing other than a electribe to make and produce all the music in your life than have at it with your 2 handed effects whoopty doo. Logic Pro is a perfect example of apple just being stupid, you know how much more money they would make off of that program if it was for windows also, and it clearly could be, so let me guess are you going to say windows isnt capable either to handle logic pro because it is and has been able to since the day logic came out, thats just stupid business and contracts that cause great musicians to miss out on some products just because people want to be so specific and want you to buy their product only.

youre the one who doesnt know what your talking about the reason why its not hitting android and might even never is probably simply due to restrictions made with apple and these apps themselves within a contract. that seems a lot more logical than your multitouch ranting, anyone who used a computer for the past couple years before ipads existed would know you get by just fine with a mouse and 1 click, so no again you dont sound like you know what your talking about musically at all.

music is my life and i know plenty of people also who have these and never use 2 hands unless their using the effects, funny that you can even look all over youtube and see the exact same thing but you go on and on about multitouch like that is the only reason its not being made and thats just stupid im sorry, thats not why.

its clearly extremely hard for developers to create apps for the android, thats why the android has more apps available for it than the iphone, even some apps that will never hit the iphone that are quite useful. makes sense again your point, and its still growing at a very fast pace and oddly the people who know how to program and are tired of companies being so stupid and sticking to one OS, they just make a program thats similar themselves just to show you its even possible.

lol moog filter, wow not even my point at all, the point is korg sucks now, all they have is kaoss pads which is sadly the only thing people buy from them anymore, the last decent keyboard they made were the microkorg and the ms2000, which they both have become replaced with trash substitutes.

they day moog has nothing but digital garbage with almost everyone of their products and synths being just that, then you can throw the filter at me, its a pointless filter on top of that its not like iphones have Line ins so who cares really, again ill just use my moog pedals. my point is simply Korg has always done this, they make a ms-10 emulator for freaking nintendo DS for christ sakes, but my point of all this isnt even vst's or apps or video games, im talking about korgs keyboards are just so lame when they used to be the best around, same thing with yamaha, i own a yamaha cs-30 and 15 and they are some of the most amazing synths yamaha has ever made but sadly they became the corner stone of cheap digital keyboards before korg did.

haha my friend neon indian i literally knew that kid when he lived in austin, such a wierdo and he always knew he sucked, he would always hang out with my friend zach and just sit their silently playing with lil toys for like hours. what a joke he is, i cant believe he is even associated with moog now what a lucky douche, nothing like getting famous off of other peoples music.

another topic ill stay off of this has become long enough.

the only thing i agree with you on, is that apple has been around longer and yes android is newer and evolving every day. that is all.
profgerbik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

im not bashing cheap things, i own tons of casios and have them circuit bent and of course you can make anything sound amazing but the fact they choose to keep creating such poor products when they have had better is what gets me.
bog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: nope not like that, nice try though. Reply with quote

profgerbik wrote:
they day moog has nothing but digital garbage with almost everyone of their products and synths being just that, then you can throw the filter at me, its a pointless filter on top of that its not like iphones have Line ins so who cares really, again ill just use my moog pedals.

You're in the dark. There are many line input options for iPhone/iPad.
profgerbik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: wrong Reply with quote

how stupid does that sound, yea let me record sound through the line input on my iphone or ipad, clearly its a virtual input at that. because the iphone only has a 3.5mm jack so anything being input into it would obviously only be for voice anyway. yea thats professional right there, so you talk about android being lacking, are you honestly going to tell me that would be easy or even efficient, the quality would be horrible.

but yea makes more sense again on your part when you dont even know the specifications of your own tools and what their capabilities and limits are.

the iphones input is a high impedance microphone preamp, a line level input would damage it and on top of that, the frequency response is centred around the voice so it is not flat, any recording would sound horribly tinny.

recording into your iphone or ipad could have some uses but the sound is not going to be as good as if you just used a mixer or pretty much anything more logical and that is made specifically for line input audio. so many low priced things you could use even free, its really not practical being as the iphone and ipad were not meant for recording line in at all.

have fun recording line in into your iphone or ipad, waste of time really, you clrealy need to learn more about sound, actual frequencies that can effect them and how they are processed. im all about technology but this conversation has become a bit too stupid for me to continue.. ill keep stating the facts yet you just come back with a smile on your face like you just got screwed by steve jobbs, while he was whispered the future of apple in your ears, the mans a genius and apple is great dont get me wrong but once again you dont know what your talking about and trust me i hate to say that again but it will be the last time because its become so cliche already.

i dont appear to be in the dark when i shine light to every one of your opinions and perceptions, "its not like" i never fully said they dont, they are not worth using though. i know that much. dont think i havent tried, i dont own a iphone myself but some of my band mates do. even with the audio line out, it still sounds horrible.

yes its pointless filter on the iphone and ipad its nothing more than a toy at that, arturia has had a moog vst for years that is a lot more practical to use than a simple gimmick filter on the iphone, it has advanced pretty far and it can be used as a stand alone effect as well. if you have a mac book pro then viola great quality of sound at the same effort without the gimmick, even windows computers can use arturia vsts so why would use your iphones filter other than to show your music buddies a cool little app on your iphone.

this is getting no where so you can have the last word. cheers.
bog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: wrong Reply with quote

profgerbik wrote:
how stupid does that sound, yea let me record sound through the line input on my iphone or ipad, clearly its a virtual input at that. because the iphone only has a 3.5mm jack so anything being input into it would obviously only be for voice anyway. yea thats professional right there, so you talk about android being lacking, are you honestly going to tell me that would be easy or even efficient, the quality would be horrible.

Apparently "professional" enough so that the Gorillaz recorded their entire album on an iPad:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/233253

And oh, I'd suggest not going off about something you clearly don't know anything about or you end up making a fool out of yourself as you've done here. The iPad can record audio through any class-compliant USB audio interfaces and mics.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't know the point of that last post.... The Beatles recorded almost all of their tracks on something that a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder would blow away.
As far as all the fanboy stuff? Reality is that any $500 laptop is by far and away a better platform for recording and sequencing music that an iPad so just move on.. Screen size, horsepower and mouse control wins out over the svelte touchy screeny stuff.

I have an iPad. Big deal. This synth is a $15 app and it's great value for Money and capable of doing good stuff and fun stuff, but let's not pretend that the iPad is a suitable computing platform for studio work.. If you have $500 to spend on a studio computer you would be out of your tree to buy an iPad.

The op asked whether this app could be on the android and PC os.. Well isn't this available as a VST for the PC as the ms20? ..anyway, hopefully at some point it will go to the android os so other musicians can enjoy mucking about on their phones and tablets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: