Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zero 8 Touchscreen and Headphone problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apricot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again Corpo,

I should have read this response before I PM'd you ...

Just wondering, what you did to restore some of the function to the y-axis?

Thanks again,

Apricot
Corpo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my solution to this issue will be to install fans to dissipate the heat. It appears that my problems with the y axis develop as the mixer warms up. Apercot I'll send you an email today describing how to pull out the the connection to the kpad and see if you can regain function to the y axis. Please send me a pm with your info.
Regards,
DJ Corpo
Apricot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought my Zero8 in to the shop ... will let you all know, what they did to fix the issue, and the cost ...

Apricot
djcl.ear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Has anyone actually tried contacting KORG for support?
That should really be your first action when encountering a hardware failure, before even posting on an unofficial forum.

And
Apricot wrote:

I wrote to the store I bought the mixer from, haven't heard a reply back yet. I was checking out Korg Canada .. the site hasn't been updated in 2 years and there isn't a general contact email ...

Plus
Corpo wrote:
I think I would be better off asking them what I should have for lunch!

Based on my experience and own's Korg past responses as shown in this thread here, I would 100% agree to take issues in our hands and thus contribute to Corpo's efforts with Zero. Gathering information from several users will greatly help this. Info like:
-Was Zero8's analog line out being used in "hot mode"???
-In either case (yes or no), how long (from its adquisition date) did you used the Zero with a trouble-free touchscreen?

As I was guessing this seems to be a thermal-related problem, something I've dealt with in the past with other brand Dj gear that coincidently also was feature ambitious as Zero8 is.
Back in that case, I found that an IC (internal chip) had a thermal shut-off mode that was firing at rather not-so-high temperatures and therefore installing localized heatsinks easily solved the issue. This solution could very well work here too.
An additional alternative/complementary temp solution would be to cut open some shape at the mixer's side where the power supply is and place there a grid mesh to allow the hot air to exit.
These two solutions will be preferable to installing a fan in order to keep the mixer noiseless and to avoid possible electromagnetic problems, while keeping it cool.

///So hey Corpo a few suggestions:
-Try to not use the mixer in hot mode hence reducing its working temp and check if it works ok.
-Have it working for a while assembled but unscrewed, so when the problem arises you may shut it off and fastly open the mixer and then with your fingers check the temperatures of seemly related chips. If any of them is unusually hot post the data written on it here, so we may do a grupal effort to try to locate its specifications and factory details or just directly try cooling it via placing a heatsink and see if this alone solves the touchscreen issues altogether.

///To the others here and really to ALL Zero8 users; I would strongly recommend to inmediately stop using it in "Hot" line out mode. If you need it to function without hiss, then use the Digital Out workaround instead, as discussed here and get an outboard DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) to out the sound.

Going this route will greatly increase this mixer lifespam, reduce the occurrence of failures and actually it will also improve its sound quality.

To say it sharply, judging from this very thread there is the possibility that using it in hot mode is already damaging the mixer, so if you plan to keep it for long, just use the digital out.
Apricot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey c.lear,

I was definitely using the mixer in the "hot" mode to reduce said hiss ... to be honest, it was still present, just greatly reduced.

Once the mixer returns, I am going to switch to using the digital out, and fork out some extra money for a DAC ... was thinking about this one:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2details.asp

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced DAC?

Cheers,

Apricot
Corpo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
During my teardown I ran the mixer for around four straight hours with the mixer seperated from the chassis. I took temperatures with my multimeter and were unexpectedly cooler then I thought they would be. I have installed a fan.

As for running in "hot" mode. I never have. I have never had a serious enough hiss issue to need to run a high output- low gain setup. I believe it to be the zero's dac that could be causing the hiss. Or some interference caused by the location of the power supply to the master output.
Regards
C
djcl.ear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Apricot
Apricot wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced DAC?

Good for your Zero life you go the external DAC route, about which one to use, why dont you start a new thread, I'll catch up there.

@Corpo
Corpo wrote:
During my teardown I ran the mixer for around four straight hours with the mixer seperated from the chassis. I took temperatures with my multimeter and were unexpectedly cooler then I thought they would be. I have installed a fan.

What temperatures did you measure in/outside the chassis?
That power supply could very well be a big % of the cause of the Touchscreen problems... together with the high temps raised by using the out in "hot" mode. We'll know better which one is affecting more, when we find out how many users having the issue use it in hot mode. (That is assuming that lowering the temps reduce/stops the creation of the screen failure).

Corpo; what are your results WITH the fan on? Temp measures?

Corpo wrote:
I believe it to be the zero's dac that could be causing the hiss. Or some interference caused by the location of the power supply to the master output.
Its the DAC or better say: Users utilizing an external DAC have no Hiss at all as they reported in the Official hiss post. The ones that reported so, were previously having hiss present when using their analog out. So if we consider that they solved the problem while they did nothing to their original power supply... then the connection Hiss-power supply has to be ruled out.

All in all, cooling (via fan or heatsinks+ventilation openings) would only benefit the Zeros, either inmediatly or in the long run.

EDIT: (adding more comments to the same post)

@Corpo: "
Corpo wrote:
I have never had a serious enough hiss issue (...) I believe it to be the zero's dac that could be causing the hiss. Or some interference caused by the location of the power supply to the master output.

...That would mean that the Hiss (proven to be at the DAC level) is caused by interference generated from the closeness of the power supply... Uhmm you mean electromagnetic induced hiss... Its posible, but unlikely, methinks.
Apricot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got off the phone with the music store ...

They have replaced the touch pad on the mixer, which cost around 35$. Fortunately, they had them in stock. With about another 65$ in labor ...

After tax, it came to 109$ (Canadian Rupees).

I will let everyone know how it fares after a test run.
Apricot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is back! The Kaos pad works and everything seems to be working normally.

Even though the solution is less than ideal, at least it didn't cost much for the repair.

Good luck to all who share this problem.

Apricot
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just registered to let you know I also encountered the touchpad problem.
It was working ok for 18 months and two days ago it gave the problem. The next day it was ok again. But today the problem is back.

The headphone problem also occured a couple of times.

I did not use the hot-mode thing and used it regularly over the past 18 months. I do have it in a stand right know, which puts it in a allmost 45 degrees position. I will try out what happens if I put it straight on the table again.

Maybe this information is usefull to anyone. I hope someone will find some solution other than having the screen replaced.

Good luck everyone.
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I might be able to order the touchpad through my dealer.

Does anyone of you know if it would be a good idea to try and replace it myself? I'm not a pro, and have just some basic knowledge and experience in electronics. Since I have the Zero 8 for 18 months, I probably don't have any warranty left, so loosing this because I opened it is probably not a problem.

It would be ideal if I could fix it myself, because I need the Zero for gigs and can't live without it for the six weeks they will probably take it for repair.

If it's too hard for a novice like me, I will not try it. But if it's relatively easy I will give it a shot.
miim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: got it working Reply with quote

Ok guys I had this problem and now its back to normal. I noticed each time i turned on the 08 TWO "CUE" lights came on from CH.4 & CH.8 (off & on about 10 - 30 times in a row). I re-insalling the the latest driver (with the 08 turned off), When the part came to "reconnect device" I turned on 08. As the 08 was booting up, I lightly and rapidly tapped the touchpad. I noticed some random responce which turned into the limited ability to go into "SYSTEM". I then went to "LCD CALIBRAT". It took a while but I was abile to touch both squares and then "DONE". I did a "FACTORY RESET" and then restarted the 08. No more "CUE" light and a working PAD. I will post any changes.

Good Luck
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I did a 'refresh' by disconnecting the touchpad cable inside, as Corpo explained to me detailed in an e-mail, but it had no effect. Now today, 2 weeks later, the touchpad miraclously started working again...
I'm afraid to turn it off now Embarassed , and don't know if it will work the next time I turn it on. But it's safe to say it's either a software or connection problem, and definately not a hardware problem...

I will post any news on this... And if you want to do the refresh please ask me or Corpo for instructions.... (altough I do not know if this had anything to do with the touchpad working again today)
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: it stopped functioning while it was on.... Sad

so, as said before, probably heating....

or not because:

edit: wtf! now (5 minutes later) it works again... aaarghh

edit: (1 min later) eh, shite, it stopped
D1g7a1Dj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to report I thought I was safe up until now, my mixer was running headache free for two years, it sat out for past few months while I was deciding whether I was gonna keep it or not, I switched it on then find the screen unresponsive exactly how you guys are describing it, WTF! It could very well be that it sat on its side in the box for almost a year or so. So pissed Korg failed miserably as far as quality with this product instead of recalling the damn thing, they discontinue it? I know why now...

I was experimenting with it, leaving it for a few weeks out flat, restoring it to previous firmware, massaging the screen lol but nothing happens. I could still use the screen but I can't select anything in settings, kinda lame, it's just a paperweight now really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: