Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zero 8 Touchscreen and Headphone problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine stopped working,
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely mine works again, don't know for how long.
I think, because of winter here, it's a lot colder in my studio. Maybe that's why.

I also received a reaction by a guy (johan7818) on my youtube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bXZ3c9bugk ) explaining the problem. I will try it today:

- haha this is gunna sound funny but i solved the issue eh... when you get the touch screen working again put a fan in the right side blowing outwards beside the headphone jack... lol i did that and ive never had a single problem with the board since!!!! ive taken it to sweaty clubs and basements for hours and mixed and i havent had a problem since! -

Corpo also spoke about placing a fan, also when reading this it sounds good, right?

Anyone know what the best way is to place and connect a fan, and what kind to use?
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reaction from Johan7818:

- heyy there well actually is really simple. i went to an electronics parts store and i bought an 80mm fan... but not an ordinary computer fan... most fans are 12v DC... but i found a 120v AC fan ( im in canada) so i can litterally plug it directly into the wall its useful because you dont need to modify the board at all. it just sits beside the board and you plug it into a wall outlet.
give me a few hours im just prepping for an exam right now but ill attach a video of what i did -
paugui

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Y axis problem too...

When mine arrived, some months ago, it was not working but after a day or so, it started working pretty well until I left my place for some months, living it inside it's box.
After I got back, it wasn't working well again, but after a day or two, it got working perfectly again.

Today it stopped working for a while and then got working again, but the calibration sometimes went nuts...
It is working pretty well now, but the maximum I can reach on the Y axis is around 85...
For the Tap delay program and the filter programs it is fine, but for the effects that use the whole pad... it makes quite some difference...

I tried to calibrate the pad, but it seemed to make it worse...

Mine is still covered by warranty, but I am afraid it might take too long for them to repair my Zero 8.
But likely a new pad shall solve the problem, right?

And anyone has news about cooling devices for the Zero 8 in order to solve the problem?
Since on mine it seems that it's just the calibration that is not as it should, I guess it might be a slightly different problem, right?

Thanks in advance, best

Paulo
Reggmail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: A possible simple fix for Korg Zero 8 touch screen. Reply with quote

Okay, anyone who knows me and followed my disappointment with Korg for the support of the Zero 4/8 mixers for the last few years will know that I shoot from the hip with when it comes to Korg....Lol.
However, In reading everyone problem with the Zero 8 and experiencing the same, after not being in use for some time, my touch screen also stopped responding properly.
To make a long story short, I was able to resolve the problem with a simple can of air, sticking the thin straw that comes with the can of air as far into the cue slider toward the back of the screen as possible.
Low and behold, it started working flawlessly, I also stuck the can of air straw into slider channel 8 as well, pointed the straw in the direction of the rear touch screen and it's working.
I hope that this remedy will work for others.
Peace & blessings.
paugui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is your touchpad tracking all the range?

Mine stopped working from time to time, but even when it works, the range isn't the correct...
For example, in the Dry/Wet settings in the Y axis, I can never get Wet...
And lately it seems I could never get Dry either...
Reggmail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paugui wrote:
But is your touchpad tracking all the range?

Mine stopped working from time to time, but even when it works, the range isn't the correct...
For example, in the Dry/Wet settings in the Y axis, I can never get Wet...
And lately it seems I could never get Dry either...

Yes, all of the pad controller locations started working back to factory specks.
It's hard to tell if we are all experiencing the same cause of this problem.
Over the weekend mine worked fine, today when I turned it on it stopped working again.
I did the same as above with a can of air it started to respond a little, then I tapped on the side
of the unit and low and behold it's working again....weird.
I believe that eventually it may go out and stay out, but I will keep everyone posted.
Korg really sucks on this mixer support, why should we have to go through all of this after paying for this mixer.
Now you need to become a repairman also....lame.
Peace & blessings.
Reggmail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
OK, It's stopped working again, it didn't come back this time.
I doubt if it has anything to do with heat because when you first turn it on the Korg Zero 8 (when it's not hot yet) it still doesn't work.
When they replace the Touch Pad then it works, ''for how long will it work then'' would be the question, with or without a fan?
If anyone find a remedy, please post it.
I tried writing to Korg about this problem two weeks ago and never received any reply back from them.
How do you do a class action lawsuit these days?...Lol.
iamchill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: korg zero8 circuit diagram / system board data sheet Reply with quote

Hey all,

I got the same issues w/ the LCD.
Looking into getting it replaced at a service center close to home.
Philly PA area. I'll post location and price IF all works out.
I also found this in the form here (see below link) It's the electronic data sheet for the entire mixer *as far as I know* I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm sure it'll help out anyone that's looking to do more research on how the mixer is put together.

PM me if you want it emailed over *if it gets yanked from this post or if the pdf gets pulled from megaupload*.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59409&sid=09eaad4c14cc36f69e1d71e7ecfba576

L8r

Always searching for the cleanser to dissolve the mind made sense of self.

Revolution is either Bloody or Revolution in the Psyche! Reincarnate Now ~Krishnamurti

"What's so funny?" she asked.
"Eternity," he answered. "Believe it or not, it's as real as s**t."
"Excellent!" she said approvingly. ~Huxley Island

350.org - savetheinternet.com - evolver.net - zeitgeistmovie.com - eckharttolletv.com - freepress.net - lcv.org - freshthemovie.com
Lega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello every one.

I had the same problem and I am trying to buy a new touch screen (hard, now the the mixer has been discontinued). As a material engineer who works in the smart materials/sensors area, i got a bit deeper in the problem and decide to help other clearing some things out.

The things are:
-This problem has nothing to do with firmware whatsoever
- This problem arises most certainly from excessive compression to the screen. (this causes the touch system to basiclly short-circuit)
- About the fan's solutions, they don't make sense; it was mere chance in particular cases.
- Everybody complaints about Y problems, that is because the Y responsible layer on the screen is the one on the top.
- The touch screen, as any other material, is affect by the temperature and humidity. I myself had issues with cold that would disappear with hot (makes sense because when cold it contracts -> layers are closer to one another -> short circuit -> not working)

- Massaging it GENTLY, in circular movements, with a soft cloth will help it to recover. AND wait time, like 1 day or something. This confirms what many people say that the mixer get's back to normal from a day to another; the material just recovers its shape, and it's good. (of course, that once affected, that same area will be more prone to cause problems again).

-this is not such a big deal of a problem, nor lack of quality from the mixer (as korg itself does not produce the touch sensor). The touch screen costs about 40€/55USD only, so..
-The problem now (wich i am still trying to solve for my own) is to get another touch screen from korg.

Solution to the newcomers to this problem:
Buy a "4 wire resistive touch screen" that has these proportions (width/hight) and mount it (maybe an adapter to the connection will be needed but that is the easy part for someone who repairs this stuff).

I'm working on finding one, will post here where i found it.

hope it helped
djcl.ear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lega wrote:
Hello every one.

I had the same problem and I am trying to buy a new touch screen
(...) Solution to the newcomers to this problem:
Buy a "4 wire resistive touch screen" that has these proportions (width/hight) and mount it (maybe an adapter to the connection will be needed but that is the easy part for someone who repairs this stuff).

I'm working on finding one, will post here where i found it.

Xcellent Lega!!!

Your ideas explain a lot. When you talk about "excessive compression" do you mean the excessive pressure applied by the fingers while using it?
Or could that be caused by the touchscreen holding system, transport/handling hits, etc?

And yes, please post here a link when you find the generic replacement part (and if needed) the adaptor/connector for it.
akousmata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"hold cue 7 and cue 8 while starting the mixer that it will reset the firmware" thanks for the tip...it fixed my touch screen problems perfectly.
gee hgt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: same problem plus massive distorted noise hang ups Reply with quote

Twisted Evil
i got the same trouble over here.
i didn't even use the f*ck*r since i bought it 1 1/2 years ago.
just tested it and it was working well back then.
no hiss , all good.
last week i pealed my zero8 out of his case and configured it for recording some analog drums and drones and there it was: touchpad not reacting.
i had to configure it with the editor and after 5-6 hours usage it blasted my headphones with unbelievable noise.
luckily i had no speaker and no computer connected.
i had to restart the thing 5-10 times and reseted a couple of times till i got a clean signal through again.
the touchpad is still not reacting but at least i can do some mixing and midi controlling again. i am afraid though to connect it to my 2k speakers....
Evil or Very Mad
korg support told me to sent it back to the dealer for warranty/repairs but i didn't keep the invoice, so no repairs for me
Sad
Reggmail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: same problem plus massive distorted noise hang ups Reply with quote

gee hgt wrote:
Twisted Evil
i got the same trouble over here.
i didn't even use the f*ck*r since i bought it 1 1/2 years ago.
just tested it and it was working well back then.
no hiss , all good.
last week i pealed my zero8 out of his case and configured it for recording some analog drums and drones and there it was: touchpad not reacting.
i had to configure it with the editor and after 5-6 hours usage it blasted my headphones with unbelievable noise.
luckily i had no speaker and no computer connected.
i had to restart the thing 5-10 times and reseted a couple of times till i got a clean signal through again.
the touchpad is still not reacting but at least i can do some mixing and midi controlling again. i am afraid though to connect it to my 2k speakers....
Evil or Very Mad
korg support told me to sent it back to the dealer for warranty/repairs but i didn't keep the invoice, so no repairs for me
Sad

Sorry to hear about your problem, it seems that most of us who bought and supported Korg on the Zero 8/4 have the same problems.
Trust me when I say ( I Feel Your Pain )

At first when my Touch Screen went bad it would intermit after I sprayed a can of air in the screen location.

Shortly after it stopped all together.

Some people had luck putting a fan in the Zero 8 to keep it running cool and say that it worked for them.

Mine didn't matter about the temperature because it would sometimes stop working when I first turned it on from a cold boot start.

I was able to replace the screen and ''for now'' it seem to be working.

Taking all of the screws and braces to get to the Touch XY Pad screen is not an easy project and took hours of work.

( I can PM you picts of you like ) Would I do it again? NO. You can still use the mixer without the Touch Screen as long as everything else works fine.

If you are not good with electronics I wouldn't suggest this for people, you will also void your warrantee if you recently purchased it. The Zero 8 is out of production / discontinued and you can only send it to a Korg Service for repair.

Although the Kronos looked good to me, I will never buy a Korg product again.....ever. Whenever I see the name Korg regardless of how good the item may seem, I get flash backs (nightmares) I endured for many years of the Korg Zero 8. ( A good peodect it could have been that was suported verry badly by it's manufacturer...Korg )

I believe that many can feel my pain and frustration with Korg and joined the protest.

I hope that you get your problem resolved.

Peace & blessings.
gee hgt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you are right no more korg products for me.
i had korg on my list of cheesy companies for years , but when i saw the features of the zero 8 i gave it a chance.
i still like it a lot , even without the touchpad.
i am just afraid to bring it out to a gig because it might blow to bits any time.
Embarassed
does anybody know what the average lifespan of the zero 8 is?
18 month?
would it be a good idea to buy a couple of remaining stock zero8's cheap and just swop and trash them when they go bad? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: