Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Sampling Memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricoche

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Question about Sampling Memory Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of installing added memory to 64MB, EXB-SCSI board, and the CF Internal Reader to my new Triton Classic. So I haven't had a chance to do any Sampling yet really.

It's true that the max amount of Samples you can have in RAM at one time is 64MB with the Classic Triton if correct. Then it's simply a matter of loading a different "Sample" Set for different songs or sequences when on Stage? So I can program a song to use up to 64MB of Samples and then when I change songs I can then load up another Sample set to replace the first one and use up to 64MB of different Samples? Does this sound correct?

The reason I ask is because I'm probably going to have up to 4GB of Samples on a CF card. The Classic Triton RAM memory can't hold that much data, only 64MB. So, it makes sense to me that I'll have to rotate out Sequences or Songs to use all those Samples. Thus Samples are automatically deleted in RAM when I load up a new song or overwrite to an existing song or sequence I presume.

I'm looking forward to answering my own questions when I get all the accessories in installed, but until then I thought I would post some thoughts in case anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to create sample sets for each sequence or song.

Thanks,

Jim
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't want to be loading samples on stage unless you have another keyboard that you can use while you wait for the loading. It's not going to be fast.
Ricoche

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:
You won't want to be loading samples on stage unless you have another keyboard that you can use while you wait for the loading. It's not going to be fast.

I just picked up the CF Card reader and so loading should be fast .. Hopefully!

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52361&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be faster than floppy, but there is still a limitation on how fast you can load data into the RAM, because of whatever system is driving the data lines to the RAM and the SCSI.

For example, on my TR with an SD card I could load 64mb of samples in about.... maybe 3-5 minutes.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jbeliz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the cf drive to my triton and it is way faster and no more drive noise from the cf drive like the floppy drive did i recommend it.
dtscape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how fast is the CF cards compared to SCSI(zip drive) and floppy disk?
Can someone give us some figures to compare. Smile

I'd like to be able to use the sampler on the triton a lot more but the 64mb has always been a little bit limited. Plus the loading time so if the cf cards are a lot faster then I would be interested in investing in one.
Wink
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF is faster than the ZIP, JAZZ, and CD Drive I was using. Best I can say without timing anything but it's significantly faster.

If you do it, I recommend mounting it on the side so you can keep your floppy drive.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
dtscape

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to my recent change of heart I'm very interested in the CF card installation.... Can anyone give me an actual time it takes to load 64mb(or close to) of samples onto the Triton classic using the CF card/sd card system?
I've used a zip drive before which takes a couple of minutes(very approximate as I haven't loaded any samples for ages!!!! And even then I think it was around 40mb).

Hope someone can help. Wink
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently added the internal Cf drive to my triton and works like a charm there is a few minor issues but I also load about 64mb of samples and it takes about 3 min or so to load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: