Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PX4D noise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destroid

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Korg PX4D noise Reply with quote

This seems to be a common problem; but especially at higher gain I find this unit to have a lot of hiss. Is this the same for all units? Is there any way to help it?
waderain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Hiss Reply with quote

I have the PX5D and on my Dean and Fender guitars I get the hiss, but on my Ibanez Guitars there is very little hiss even at full gain. The PX5D has a pretty good noise filter that cuts out quite a bit of the noise, If I set it to full Theres no noise at all on any of my guitars.
Destroid

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally noise gates only cut out the "trail", full on hiss removal effects your sound negatively. You're always killing some sustain and dynamics when you're doing this. For example with the noise gate up high I can't switch between clean and dirty using the volume knob. It's fine for numetallers who never use dynamics, but it seems a waste that most of the models have very tube like dynamics when they're unusable because of the hiss.
Destroid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have this problem...
Cabbitt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to it. I have the same problem, and have tried everything - still noise rushup after notes. Renders this unit worthless to use live.

No response from Korg, either, so apparently they are aware of the problem but just don't care.

I started a similar thread a while ago:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50286
piejar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PX5D and I think, noise is reasonable low. I can record a test sample for you but give me some clues about effects settings to get useful info.
Cabbitt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piejar wrote:
I have PX5D and I think, noise is reasonable low. I can record a test sample for you but give me some clues about effects settings to get useful info.

The noise is apparent on practically every setting. I have tried every setting, and still get this annoying noise rush-up after every note or chord. It sounds like a compressor set too high and "breathing" or "pumping". The noise reduction only cuts off the signal too quickly, and is therefore unusable.

I bought the unit to use in a live setting, but the noise makes that impossible.
piejar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll record a sample of PX5D tonight.
I know that's not solution for You Crying or Very sad
Cabbitt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your concern, but my PX4D is now just an expensive practice tool. Mad
piejar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to record something on PX5D. First overdriven, then clean and overdriven at the end. I left the sound sustaining - there's also noticible noise (try on earphones). Is this better than PX4D?
http://www.piejar.republika.pl/Noise_test.mp3
Destroid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piejar wrote:
Tried to record something on PX5D. First overdriven, then clean and overdriven at the end. I left the sound sustaining - there's also noticible noise (try on earphones). Is this better than PX4D?
http://www.piejar.republika.pl/Noise_test.mp3

I think so. What you need to do is use a mid gain setting like the Plexi or JCM800 and play notes quietly, maybe roll down the volume. Turn the noise reduction completely off.

The PX5D sounds way too sharp though compared ot the PX4D. The higher gain stuff sounds pretty nasty and fizzy.

http://www.box.net/shared/tn8zqqysis

You can really hear the noise at the start here.
Destroid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of have to stop using this unit because of the noise. It's a real shame but it's just ridiculous.
piejar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose, that Pandora is "placed" as a "personal effect" device rather than "for stage" use. All in all I'm still satisfied with Pandora's feature's but I'm beginning to notice its limitations Confused
Destroid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piejar wrote:
Well, I suppose, that Pandora is "placed" as a "personal effect" device rather than "for stage" use. All in all I'm still satisfied with Pandora's feature's but I'm beginning to notice its limitations Confused

Functionality wise, it's fine. I wish the effects were more tweakable especially the Chorus but it's not that big a deal for me since they mostly have settings that are usable for me. I most often use the Auto-wah, it's great. What I would definitely change is to make the Synth effects pick up pitch bends.

I can't really record with this unit. The noise is too intense.

http://soundcloud.com/takeshiandthekid/fishing-for-cake

You can kind of hear it on this rough cut demo here.

The hiss is very noticable at the start.

That would be such a great tone if it wasn't for that. It's frustrating.

I'd actually say it's more useful live since you won't notice that hiss as much in a chaotic live setting and the same level of Pristine Toanz would not be expected of you. Though at the same time, the rolling back the volume issue would mostly only apply live(or if you're too lazy to turn the gain up and down on the device like me).

Last edited by Destroid on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Destroid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabbitt wrote:
piejar wrote:

The noise is apparent on practically every setting. I have tried every setting, and still get this annoying noise rush-up after every note or chord. It sounds like a compressor set too high and "breathing" or "pumping". The noise reduction only cuts off the signal too quickly, and is therefore unusable.

I bought the unit to use in a live setting, but the noise makes that impossible.

You can't subtract noise from a recording without a lot of CPU work and generally notably affecting the original signal.

Noise reduction takes advantage of the fact that hiss is generally a lot lower than your actual playing(just more noticable). However it's not so much so that it won't kill your milder dynamics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: