Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to play the SV-1 into?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpvx-ray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: What to play the SV-1 into? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what I should get to play my sv1 into. I currently have a roland kc350 keyboard amp, but I am totally not happy with the quality especially with the stereo sampled pianos. I was considering getting two powered pa monitors (2-way with a 12" and a horn) but I'm not completly sure. I should also add that this setup will be only for home use as I do not play out.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just playing at home then the normal solution for keyboards would be to look at studio monitors. There are many, many different varieties of studio monitors. You'll normally want powered ones (where the amplifier is built in).
I use a pair of Behringer MS15s but you can spend a lot, lot, lot more than that (and not always necessarily get a better sound quality), so make sure you do your research.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
gbj47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: What to play the SV-1 into? Reply with quote

I agree w/ the other reply re: using powered monitors at home - I have used Mackie HR824's w/ a number of keyboards and have been happy w/ the result. As far as playing out is concerned, I recently purchased a Traynor K4 stereo amp and have been pleased w/ the result - the stereo sampled pianos sound closer to what I hear through headphones and the low end is much more distinct compared to my Roland 550 and my barbetta kb amp. Hope this helps -[/list]
kudzu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Di boxes for live Reply with quote

I was doing a gig recently with the SV-1 and asked the monitor engineer if he could use the the XLR outs from the SV-1 and not use a DI box ... he said he'd prefer not to as they're were no Pads on the XLR outs from the SV-1 ... Good point I thot. So i invested in a stereo Di box fro my Sv-1
[/url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radial-JDI-Duplex-Stereo-Direct/dp/B0002GIRM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274108994&sr=8-1[url][/url]
Sounds very good indeed

G
craigalan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool, but why go stereo in a live setting anyway? Unless you are playing solo, the audience doesn't get the stereo spectrum. Even large venues with million dollar systems, everything is mono through the FOH.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going stereo doesn't mean you have to run the full PA stereo.

Certainly monitoring in stereo will give you better sound, and a lot of piano sounds sampled in stereo will suffer from phase cancellation when summed to mono.

In a live setting I would have the stereo width narrowed to about 20%. but it is still in stereo, just not left panned all the way left and right panned all the way to the right.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
craigalan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with that. Stereo for monitoring purposes is nice indeed.
jpvx-ray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Studio monitors JVC LSR 2300 Reply with quote

So, for home use I am considering a set of JVC LSR 2300 's . They are powered monitors and are relatively small. I am just inquiring on opinions about this product and how it will perform with the SV-1. Thanks!
holdsg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Di boxes for live Reply with quote

kudzu wrote:
I was doing a gig recently with the SV-1 and asked the monitor engineer if he could use the the XLR outs from the SV-1 and not use a DI box ... he said he'd prefer not to as they're were no Pads on the XLR outs from the SV-1 ... Good point I thot. So i invested in a stereo Di box fro my Sv-1
[/url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radial-JDI-Duplex-Stereo-Direct/dp/B0002GIRM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274108994&sr=8-1[url][/url]
Sounds very good indeed

G

Just lurking away for a moment from the M50 forum. That DI sounds good? I am going to do some research on that. Thanks for the tip.
Nail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking time to help...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: