Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E. Piano sound needed for microkorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkstone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: E. Piano sound needed for microkorg Reply with quote

HI

I need a half decent EP sound ala rhodes for my MK.

CAn some one tell me how to make one, or e-mail it to me at

ineedsynthhelp@hotmail.com

thanks
phrankus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Electric Piano Reply with quote

Which model of MK?

MY MK does not store sounds ... I would buy those sounds for my multi-trak/DAW software (or most use the midi-orchestra wave table on your sound card) ... but you can buy exact instruments as plug-ins, for whatever sw you are using for MIDI/Recording.

usenet (the news-groups) have lots of midi playback songs that should address this table of samples.

explore the piano roll midi composition tool in your sw.

You should be able to select various instruments, for each track.

... Or you can look for a cheap, used, midi sound module, on ebay.

... I got two alesis quadra-synths for cheap (hundreds of sounds) 30 different pianos (including fender-rhodes) ...

or just something like this should have ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-MT-32-Multi-Timbre-Sound-Module-mt32-midi-synth-/200482082097?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item2eada9cd31
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Piano Reply with quote

phrankus wrote:
Which model of MK?

MY MK does not store sounds

neither MK really stores sounds, unless you include DWGS or the few samples on the XL.

however, electric pianos can be synthesized, so he doesn't need an actual EP recording.
funkstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is for live playing.

I have great EPs in my DAW I want to use the original MK live.

I synthesised a nice EP sound last night, would like some tips on making it juicier and bit more Rohdes like.

I was disapointed to realize that the distortion in the MK is on/ off and not able to be tweaked. Gentle distortion would help.
phrankus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (for one) can't help you with that ... but I DO stand by my last/best advice ...
... Get a ~$35 used sound module and hook it to the MIDI-OUT port of the MK ....
.... Even if you DO succeed in gettting a perfect FR-EP sound ... you are not going to want to "tweak it all in", live, on stage, every time you do a gig.

... with a module, you just select that patch, from the front panel, and you are done ... no screw-ups (on stage) or worries ...

If you are wanting to play the parsnickety purist, or if you want folks to believe you are the master of analog synth design ... just hide the sound module under a milk crate.

= phrankus = ... just to consider.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phrankus wrote:

.... Even if you DO succeed in gettting a perfect FR-EP sound ... you are not going to want to "tweak it all in", live, on stage, every time you do a gig.

... with a module, you just select that patch, from the front panel, and you are done ... no screw-ups (on stage) or worries ...

Erm, that is the way it works on the microKorg too - you can tweak parameters, and save them as a 'patch' or 'program' or 'sound' or whatever you want to call it, and just recall it from the front panel by turning to the right bank and selecting the numbered button for your patch's location.
I think increasingly and now most synthesizers have had patch recall functionality since about 1980.

Have you ever used the 'Write' button? Or any of the lefthand side of the panel for that matter...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
phrankus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with it some ... would prefer my old mini-moog if I'm gonna go all ADSR.

But ... I do apologize because, you are right, I use MY MK for classic and vocal effects and, as there are so many 100s of great piano sounds and samples, already available, for less trouble and very little cost ... well ... my philosophy is to just grab the cheapest (time or money) or handiest tool, off the shelf, if it already exists.

I am more of a hack videographer than a musical pureist ... sorry.

(Just that, from my perspective, it seems as if you are "re-inventing the wheel", when a good selection is readily available but, ... for YOU ... it is prolly no effort or trouble at all. ... I get it. ... now. )

= phrankus =
AhhThatGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using some (very gentle) ring modulation? That usually helps me. I also like a healthy dose of phaser.

Everyone's taste for EP's is different, so there is very little solid advice I can give you sorry...

My personal setup, which I use in a jazz band, is to use the EP sound on my yamaha psr e413, and connect this to the audio in of the microkorg to make it slightly more distorted and effected... routing LFO to cutoff with low intensity for example, so that I can use flanger and phaser together
Pin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press SHIFT plus 3, then only 3. You initialised sound - it is basic sound which you will build upon.
Go to AMP EG, add some release (fourth knob). Play staccato while ajusting.
Go to OSC 1.
Switch knob 1 to SQU (square wave).
Rotate knobs 2 and 3 till pleasing results.
Go to MIXER.
Rotate knob 2 and add second oscillator that way for fuller sound.
Go to OSC 2. Rotate knob 3 till it shows -12 (octave down) for even more fuller (but not so clear) sound.
Go to MOD FX. Rotate knob 3 and add some phasing such way.
Rotate knob 1 to see what's on board also.
Rotate mod wheel to hear which effect it takes on sound.

Congratulations. You just have emulated generic 70's electric piano/string machine/organ.

Then read FILTER and FILTER EG sections of manual. Experiment! You can reach some very authentic results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: