Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amps and Reverbs Are Over the Top!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
east3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Amps and Reverbs Are Over the Top! Reply with quote

I love my SV1 but I feel the need to echo the sentiments of several other users in this forum. The amps and reverbs are really over the top. It's very telling that not one of Korg's factory presets has the amp model's "drive" knob set to over 2 and only one or 2 presets have got the reverb's "depth" knob set to over 2. Anything over 2 for both the amp modeling and the reverb is just about unusable, except for the rare special case. It would be great to be able to assign a range for the drive knob (via the editor), so that I could decide that I want my 10 to be the factory's 4.

I've done a lot of experimenting with the editor, which helps somewhat but I'm definitely underwhelmed. Like many other vintage EP fans, I'm looking for the tube to provide some warmth, not distortion, and the SV1's amp modeling is failing miserably in that respect.

Also, I can't figure out for the life of me where all the noise is coming from. Not one of the 6 knobs in the "amp" section of the editor has any effect on the level or timbre of the noise. And the problem with setting the "drive/pre-vol" knob to anything below 15 or so is that the noise to signal ratio becomes way too high for boosting in the cabinet.

Anyway, I really hope that Korg can make an adjustment in a future OS update, because this issue, for me, is blemishing an otherwise fantastic instrument.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more. My SV-1 experience has proven to be extremely frustrating. I actually returned one, then bought it again! The logic being I didn't spend enough time with the editor or get to know the instrument well enough the first go. Sad to say though, as I approach the final days of my return period I'm afraid number 2 is most likely on it's way back as well. The real shame to it all is the overall sound and immediate tweakability are awesome! But as you stated, the amps and verbs are just over the top. A distorted mess once you go past 3 or so.
And yeah, I had the same problem trying clean up the noise with the editor.

Don't know if you've tried it in a MIDI system. I'm primarily a studio rat and thought this would be a killer board for recording. WRONG. When MIDI'd up and trying to record in Digital Performer, the SV-1 gets very buggy. RX noises jump up to full volume, EQ knobs are disabled and worst of all, notes start cutting in and out if you play the SV-1's highest octave while it's MIDI active in Digital Performer. I e-mailed Korg customer service on these issues about 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for a reply....

Anyone out there having SUCCESS in a MIDI set up with the SV-1? If so, I'd love to hear how (preferably in the next 3 days so I can hopefully keep this puppy!) Very Happy

Play it on it's own, with no computer or MIDI and it's fine. In a MIDI system it's pretty useless. It's a damn shame because I truly enjoy PLAYING the SV-1 which I guess it what it's really made for. But for my budget, I need something that can suit both needs.

Last edited by keyboard komuso on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too support the content in this post. I love my SV-1, but have never set the amp past 2. Unusable is a good word for what happens past 2. Please korg, smooth this transition out for us. Right now it goes 1-2-10. We would love 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
east3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
Anyone out there having SUCCESS in a MIDI set up with the SV-1? If so, I'd love to hear how (preferably in the next 3 days so I can hopefully keep this puppy!) :D

I've done some MIDI recording with the SV1, using Logic, not DP. I haven't noticed any of the MIDI issues you're experiencing.
craigalan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USED MIDI WITH CUBASE 4/REASON 4. NO PROBLEMS
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So you guys can lay down a MIDI track and on playback the RX noises don't shoot up to full volume? I know someone else here on the forum had the same problem and had to buy a MIDI Event Processor to filter the data and prevent it from happening. Any other Digital Performer users out there? Maybe it's something in the program and not the SV, which would be a glimmer of hope!
Minzie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love the sounds on this keyboard, but get frustrated with the amp sounds, especially the hiss! This is a great keyboard for gigs, but would be so much more usable if an OS update improved the amps. I'm getting close to the 45 day return period, and may exchange it for an Electro 3 if no improvement or word comes from Korg on this.
craigalan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is frustrating, but in one mans opinion (mine), this board still stands superior over the nord for a gigging environment. That is unless you use hammond sounds a lot. But for rhodes and piano, I think the SV wins hands down for authenticity.

Having said that, I am hopeful KORG listens to all of these suggestions and works out a nice little tasty update. It's good to know that it will only get better from here on out.
Minzie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely miss the touch of the sv-1 if I went for the Nord. I demoed both of them prior to purchase, and the sv1 acoustic piano sound is miles better than the Nord. To be honest, I don't gig a lot on organ, and the little I do is fine with the sv1. Bandmates tell me organ sounds great actually. But the damn hiss out of the sv1 amp section makes me nuts. Maybe I need higher quality patch cords?
craigalan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possible, but I doubt it. What are you playing through? Have you tweaked your sounds to your preference using the editor?

I am using a StagePas 500 and it really sounds excellent, however I spent a good amount of quality time inside the editor. Any remaining hiss is way too low to be heard when full band is playing. I also have a real rhodes and fender twin tube amp, and honestly it pretty damn close to how the SV reacts.
jpvx-ray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: hiss Reply with quote

I am in agreement about the effects being over the top. I don't set them past 2. The amp section does not bother me. I am primarily a guitar player and that is the way a tube amp reacts. The difference is you only hear the noise when you depress the key with the sv-1. With a guitar tube amp it is there all the time. I think it is better the way korg did it. I would not want constant noise with my keyboard.
wildcat1980

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a NE2 73... I sold it and I bought my SV 1. Amp noise feedback and real noise experience were two features that trapped me... I played a real Fender Rhodes MKI 73 a few days before meeting SV 1: the buzzy Fender Twin Reverb and the noisy wooden keyboard were perfectly reproduced by RX and Valve Reaktor. Software editor provides more parameters than front panel: there is a Noise Reduction knob than should be used to decrease (or increase) amp noise feedback in amp model section (0-100). Overdrive is usable at 3 or 4 level max, dependig from which amp models is selected; in front panel you have a coarse control only, because every step in front panel is divided into 10 sub steps in software editor.
Manual editing is limited, for an easier management in live performance, but via software editor you can customize at high detail level you sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: