Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To buy, or not to buy?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaturtle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: To buy, or not to buy?! Reply with quote

Whatsup.. I'm not english, so pardon any mistakes.. I am considering buying a MicroSampler.. But theres so few vids on youtube and such, im not sure if this is really what i need/want.. but it looks soooo awesome : p

I'm pretty new to beatmaking, been doin it for 5/6 month.. I only make hip hop beats.. Self taught.. So my knowlegde is very "thin".. Only use samples, and i mainly make old school boom bap type of stuff.. Often i loop, sometimes i chop.. Not big into synth.. But the keyboard would be nice for bass and such..

How is this sampler for hip hop? Most of the vids show like trance/house and stuff i hate haha..

Also, i sometimes use FL.. can this device controll my keys? like, say, an axiom25 or MPK..

Another question.. Ive got a MPC1000 as well.. Any chance they work togheter? so I can make tracks on the MPC and put the bassline down using the microsampler?

Sorry bout all the questions.. But I'm kinda alone in this beatmaking around here.. So its not easy to get answers.. Hope theres a kind soul out there willing to help a fellow out..

Oh, and is it easy to use? When i first got the MPC i struggled like CRAZY with it..
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited a couple of days thinking someone else might answer, but no one did so here goes...

The Rich Formidoni videos of the microSAMPLER show you how it works and basically, what it can do and more importantly HOW you do certain tasks. If YOU want to work that way then the microSAMPLER is for you. You say it ‘looks cool’ and that sounds to me like you’re inspired by the unit- which isn’t the only reason (like sound or capabilities) to snag a new bit of gear, but that also says that you might spend time learning what the microSAMPLER can do and get down to making music with it.

You will potentially have 3 studio pieces doing roughly the same thing. You have 2 samplers and a DAW (FL = Digital Audio Workstation) that can capture/sample too. But then you want to sync the MPC and microSAMPLER together…why? - if FL is your main sequencing host? I wouldn’t even sync, I would record everything (sound and MIDI) into FL.

I would use FL as my main host and let everything else end up inside FL. It’s the best option for mixing/mastering and long term storage (meaning your session files and mixdowns will most likely be on your computer before you do anything serious with them anyway).

I might use the MPC 1000 for drum pattern creation since it has the pads and the classic MPC pattern sequencer. You can export the MIDI from the MPC if you like to spend some days away from your computer making drum patterns/drum beats. You can record the MIDI from the MPC pads live into FL and use it as a MIDI controller.

I would use the microSAMPLER as a bassline/lead monster and load it with one-shots, switch to keyboard mode and play away. You can record the live audio from the microSAMPLER into FL and use the microSAMPLER as a source of instruments.
You can use the microSAMPLER as a MIDI controller (keyboard) for hosted VSTs in FL.
You can dump samples from FL or the MPC1000 into the microSAMPLER for using effects.

You can make any genre with any instrument or combination of equipment. Genres are more defined by instrument mixing and (traditional) sound selection. You will have 3 pieces that each can make hip hop/techno/whatever on their own. How you combine them could make you more productive and give you more creative options.

I vote microSAMPLER if you intend to:
use its keybaord
use its internal effects
prefer its many sampling styles

I vote against microSAMPLER if you:
want it only because its shiny and new and have Gear Lust for a new toy.
Haven't learned the MPC 1000.
Haven't learned Fruity Loops.

Lastly, I'd advise you to always think about 'building a studio' and not just 'collecting wicked gear' when it comes to future purchases. I think you are totally awesome for actually jumping on a forum and asking before running out and spending your money. Let us all know what you do and what you make either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that’s the best answer I could have asked for! Thank you so much, man. You really shed some light on the subject. You didn’t just answer my question, but tons of other ones as well. Made me rethink my whole setup and what I really need for it to function as I want.

You said “don’t buy the MicroSAMPLER if you haven’t figured the MPC out yet”. Now I’m going to be honest here, I haven’t. I mean, I can do the basics and all that. But I’m far from really understanding the device. The thing is that I wouldn’t have bought it, but a friend of mine sold it to me REALLY cheap, and looking at the prices online I would have been a fool not to take it. If I didn’t like it I could have just sold it for twice as much anyway. But I’m never going to sell, because I really do like it, I just don’t completely understand its different functions yet. You also said that I could use the MPC as a MIDI-controller? That would be sick. How would I go about doing so? If I buy a MIDI-interphase and connect the MIDI-out on the MPC to the USB on my computer, would that do the trick? And would I be able to track out songs from the MPC in to my FL Studio 9?

MIDI-Interphase I was thinking of: M-Audio Midisport Uno.

You said “Why not use your FL as your main DAW and run everything trough it”. That’s what I’ve always wanted, because this is the place where I have the most knowledge. I’ve just never known how to hook these things up. I live in Norway, in a tiny place where I’m pretty much all alone in producing (not only hip hop, but producing in general). Not even the music stores around here know anything about it, they just sell acoustic guitars and “band” equipment. So FL I’ve spent a lot of time in, figured out everything I need and such. But when it comes to subjects like “midi” I’m really blank. I find stuff like that really hard to just understand on my own, with no musical knowledge or experience in that field. But knowledge comes with time, right? So imma stick it out and see where it takes me, hehe.

Like you said, if I buy the MicroSAMPLER I would end up with three things that basically do the same thing. And again, you are completely right. I’ve given this A LOT of thought, and I think I will hold the MicroSAMPLER off for a while. I will spend time learning the MPC1000 and how to efficiently hook it up to my FL Studio. Maybe even buy a tiny tiny keyboard for my bass and synth (Korg NanoKEY). I will use this setup for a while and then rethink the MicroSAMPLER. Might give me a different perspective in a couple of ways:

1: I now have a keyboard in my setup that connects with everything (since everything runs through FL)

2: If a make this work, my knowledge of MIDI and owning a keyboard will probably increase, and I believe this also will get me to a state where I can truly ask myself if this is something I need. As of today, I am not sure of what I need and don’t need. All I know is that I love making music, I just want to find my comfort zone. Witch I’m far from today.

“Lastly, I'd advise you to always think about 'building a studio' and not just 'collecting wicked gear' when it comes to future purchases.”

This is true. If I buy a midi-keyboard and hook that + MPC + maybe some monitors to my FL Studio. I should have just about what I need for a while. Without having to pay so much as for the MicroSAMPLER (EXPENSIVE!).

Again, thank you SO much for your answer and knowlegde sharing. If you ever need anything in return just drop me a PM. (Will be checking the site once in a while. Love forums, hehe. Gives you the truth, not just what companies wants you to know)

You really made my day, man.

PS:
Sorry for the worlds longest post. I just now realized how long I have been typing : /
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I would say flexibility is key. You want everything to be able to control everything else. You want your keyboard to control your whole studio and your drum machine to be able to trigger everything you buy.

Most people with a few pieces get a MIDI hub.
Such as a MOTU micro express. You may not need one yet...

I don't remember the raw specs of the MPC1000. It may have USB MIDI already; I'm not sure. Your MIDI controller may have USB MIDI and regular MIDI IN, OUT, THRU so you may have enough ports to hook it all up already.

If you have enough MIDI ports or USB MIDI ins, you can choose the MIDI device inside FL. If you pull up something with drum samples, you may want the MPC to trigger it. If you pull up a VST, you'll want the keyboard MIDI controller to work.

And so you want all your MIDI devices to show up in FL as choices.
As far as tracking out goes, I believe the MPC5000 (I could be wrong) is the only MPC that dumps entire tracks out. And so in the MPC1000, you can drag and drop individual samples, but you'd have to record each full length track out (soloed or with the rest muted) to get the parts of your song over into FL. I don't think there's a proper SONG EXPORT mode yet.

That's why I say sample or drag samples into the MPC, but record your chops/loops live into FL as you're creating your songs. basically make your songs in FL right from the beginning.

MPC1000 MIDI out --> Into Computer
MIDI controller --> Computer
MPC Audio Out --> into Computer

I would say stay flexible as far as workflow goes too.
Begin some songs with the drums first and build some songs after you already have a main sample going. Make some of the drum track in FL and add additional drum hits using the MPC pads live.

Take advantage of the Linear recording mode in FL- meaning you can record for 3 minutes straight instead of recording your song in little 2, 4 or 8 bar segments, like the MPCs standard Pattern Recording System.

Play/enter your drums for the entire length of your song and after you get the main pattern, experiment and try stuff; create little variations- hit random pads and see what you get. Keep whatever sounds good.
To me, that's the difference between trying to be perfect for 8 bars and capturing the 'perfect' parts of a performance.

I think everyone could use an effects box. Free plug-ins (from KVR.com) are good for a start in software, but you might want to consider an FX tool. The microSAMPLER *could* function in this way, but you might consider a Kaoss Sampler. Instead of sampling loops or whole phrases, you can now use small bits of sound. A single guitar note or just any sound that 'sounds interesting' will do. Take that and mangle it, add some effects with long decays and you've just created an original pad-type sound. Works great for Textures and basically, the kind of stuff that keeps your tracks interesting.

After you lay down your music, you can run it through an effects box to add more character or play through it live as you're recording. Sometimes that really adds a uniqueness to your music.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why would you need a Microsampler if you have the MPC1000? You can sample into that and use 16 levels the same as playing a sample over the keys of the MS, couldn't you?

I don't have a MS and I've actually only just heard about it, so this isn't a "Don't buy the MS" answer, it's a serious question.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the more simple and basic the gear, the more creative I strive to be. If you have FLStudio you wouldn't need an MPC. The FPC plug-in combined with the Edison sample editor plug-in (both included with Producer Edition) is basically like having an MPC1000, minus the pads of course. A basic MIDI controller with 16 pads rounds out that match up evenly. If you have an MPC1000 already you wouldn't need and MS or FLStudio because it would be overkill. You could however, use the MPC to control FLStudio. The MS can control FLStudio as well and is much simpler to dive right into than an MPC in my opinion. The fact that its about $200 less than an MPC is nice too. Really, whatever floats your boat is best for you.
Here's what I've been doing with the MS lately:
http://www.youtube.com/user/3sleeves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: