Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux and Korg Microsampler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibakun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Linux and Korg Microsampler Reply with quote

I tried to get my Microsampler to communicate with my computer, which is running Ubuntu (a linux-based OS), but I hit a brick wall with the driver installation software. For those of you familiar with Linux, you may know of a program called Wine, which allows one to run some programs which are designed for Windows.
Although I was able to install and use the Microsampler Editor, my computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize the Microsampler itself. When I try to install the drivers, the computer says that it needs administrator privileges (for Windows, not Linux). Apparently it's not possible to get Windows administrator privileges with Wine. The possible work-around of having Wine emulate Windows 98 doesn't work, as the driver software won't run in Windows 98 (according to my computer).
All is not lost, because I can use my wife's computer to communicate with the Microsampler (she has Windows XP), and simply edit samples on my computer and dump them onto her computer. Needless to say, however, that's not particularly convenient.
I have tried searching for information about the Microsampler posted by Linux users, but surprisingly enough I didn't come up with anything. So, maybe my story might be of some use to other Linux users. It seems that if you are using Linux, your computer won't be able to work with the Microsampler. I would love to be proven wrong about that, but based on the Internet research I've done, as well as my own experience, that seems to be it, unfortunately. If anyone else has any experience with this, I would be interested to hear about it.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Linux, but I do know that some virtual machines (vmware) can access hardware profiles. There may be some way to run the Korg software and midi driver utility using a virtual machine. That is not my field of expertise though. It could be a direction to look towards. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Chibakun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I think that might be a bit over my head though, as I'm very much a beginner at using Linux. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I might be able to do it though.
Thanks though.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too helpful but the KORG driver installer is the same for all of their MIDI products, so whilst you may not find much about the MS on its own, you may find more information if you expand your searching to include all KORG products that use USB-MIDI.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
surfer_atomico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Still no Linux Support?

I really want this sampler,it would have been a better idea to have an SD card slot.
Telengard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

surfer_atomico wrote:
Still no Linux Support?

I really want this sampler,it would have been a better idea to have an SD card slot.

I use it with Xubuntu (Linux), but I cheat a little. I have VMWare Workstation installed and a copy of Win XP running in it. I have had no problems with it at all. I just fire up VMWare when I want to transfer samples or midi files and do backups of my microSAMPLER.
korakios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:

I use it with Xubuntu (Linux), but I cheat a little. I have VMWare Workstation installed and a copy of Win XP running in it. I have had no problems with it at all. I just fire up VMWare when I want to transfer samples or midi files and do backups of my microSAMPLER.

Hi Telengard,
I use virtualbox on AVlinux and a trimmed version of WinXP(tinyxp) and noticed that the Editor uses 100% of the cpu...Although my setup is lowspec(dualcore Atom!,no hardware virtualization!) did you notice any high cpu usage?
Also I tried ReactOS
http://www.reactos.org/el/index.html
but same situation.(but I didn't even expected to work!)
Telengard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

korakios wrote:

Hi Telengard,
I use virtualbox on AVlinux and a trimmed version of WinXP(tinyxp) and noticed that the Editor uses 100% of the cpu...Although my setup is lowspec(dualcore Atom!,no hardware virtualization!) did you notice any high cpu usage?
Also I tried ReactOS
http://www.reactos.org/el/index.html
but same situation.(but I didn't even expected to work!)

Haven't noticed anything unusual but I will check it out next time I fire it up.
korakios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that virtualbox isn't cpu friendly when it comes to audio so when microsampler editor access the virtual audio card it drains the cpu...so back to xp!
Another interesting part I found ,was using wine and it's beta usb support.But even adding in wine's registry the microsampler there is no way for wine to start the korg usb driver service.
unless korg writes a linux driver! Laughing
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my VMWare with XP to see what it does. I am running on a pretty low spec machine and just having VMWare running takes around 28% to 33% of the CPUs. Opening the microSAMPLER librarian takes it up to around 67% and when I play a key on the keyboard up to about 87% then drops back to around 67%. This is just using top to see what vmware is doing only. This works fine for me as I have no slow downs or anything running the librarian. And I only use it for a short time and then shut down VMWare when I do my normal work using Linux.

Don't know if that helps.
surfer_atomico

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll try a that.
tshg1410022

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60744&sid=44ad87f2906b853d15e33a409d6171c0

I was able to use editor for R3 (ver101) with wine on Ubuntu 12.04

on Jack (Linux side)
Output Ports: R3 midi in & out ----> Input Ports: Midi Through
Input Ports: R3 midi in & out ----> Output Ports: Midi Through

on R3 editor in Wine
Option ---> Preferences ----> MIDI in & out as Midi Through Port-0
Telengard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tshg1410022 wrote:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60744&sid=44ad87f2906b853d15e33a409d6171c0

I was able to use editor for R3 (ver101) with wine on Ubuntu 12.04

on Jack (Linux side)
Output Ports: R3 midi in & out ----> Input Ports: Midi Through
Input Ports: R3 midi in & out ----> Output Ports: Midi Through

on R3 editor in Wine
Option ---> Preferences ----> MIDI in & out as Midi Through Port-0

Awesome! Will have to try that sometime. I use Crossover mostly for my wine requirements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: