Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beatslicing and resampling... Where are they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Beatslicing and resampling... Where are they? Reply with quote

Hi I just bought an iPad am was very excited to use the electribe app and am looking for the features that mirror those on my ES-1 and my ER-1 (I know they are a bit dated but I still love them). I was told the electribe app for the iPad was identical to the physical electribe (something like the SXSD was the implication I was getting). I cannot seem to find a way to use my own samples for one, resampling is vital for me and I see no sign of resampling (secondly), beat slicing (third), and I cannot figure out how to tweak the echo/delay timing while adding another effect (for example decimate). It seems like theses features are missing if I am reading correctly in the manual.

Somebody please tell me you can at a bare minimum tweak an echo on top of another effect. I don't need anyone to explain exactly how just tell me if the app has the capacity to do so. My ES-1 is something like 8 years old and it can resample and beatslice. I am wondering if I should have just stuck with the ds-10 for writing beats on the go. I don't want to jump the gun and make any snap judgements but so far I feel like the app is missing some vital features. I have been a long time korg fan, I really am hoping that this is just a matter of me not RTFM thoroughly.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Beatslicing and resampling... Where are they? Reply with quote

pandacarrot wrote:
I was told the electribe app for the iPad was identical to the physical electribe (something like the SXSD was the implication I was getting).

Who said it was like the ES-1 or ESX-1? What did they say, word-for-word? Were they Korg representatives?

It's not "missing" those features if they were never promised, implied, or otherwise indicated. It sounds like you drew the wrong conclusion that it was anything like the ESX or ES, of any kind. I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would think it had sampling/resampling/slicing without checking it out in detail before buying, since you say those are requirements for you. Since you own the ES-1, didn't you notice all the controls and functions for sampling and slicing that the iElectribe didn't have?

But hey, it's only $19.99, right? Isn't it still pretty cool to have something close to an ER-1 for that price, that runs on batteries and with a touchscreen? Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is based on the ER-1, not the ES or ESX. There is the addition of the 'tubes' and some different effect types, which make it appear a bit like an X model, but it has been very clearly stated that it is based on the ER-1 - an analog style drum/rhythm machine. Not in any way a sampler.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
pandacarrot wrote:
I was told the electribe app for the iPad was identical to the physical electribe (something like the SXSD was the implication I was getting).

Who said it was like the ES-1 or ESX-1?  What did they say, word-for-word?  Were they Korg representatives?

It's not "missing" those features if they were never promised, implied, or otherwise indicated. It sounds like you drew the wrong conclusion that it was anything like the ESX or ES, of any kind.  I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would think it had sampling/resampling/slicing without checking it out in detail before buying, since you say those are requirements for you.  Since you own the ES-1, didn't you notice all the controls and functions for sampling and slicing that the iElectribe didn't have?

Well I have not been able to examine the app before buying it. I went into the apple store before hand and they didn't have this app on display with the iPad (not surprised but it was worth a shot). I went to local music stores and nobody knew anything about this app except that they thought it was supposed to emulate some version of electribe. I went on many music forums to ask others if they had used this app and the only info I got back was things like: it's the greatest drum machine ever, or there is no need to buy a physical drum machine if you buy thus app. Yes I own an ES-1 and my electribe is one of the originals and yes the controls look different (based of the images I have seen online and in magazines), but many of the functions of electribes are not obvious, like if you hold down one key plus another you get a function not specifically labeled. It seems with this logic applied to the ES-1 and the ER-1, the ielectribe would have contextual buttons or fuctions. but the  reviews I have read, calling this app outstanding, and say ambiguous things like: it's  just as good as having the real thing (not actually saying which drum machine it emulates, simply that it emulates an electribe with all of the modern electribe features) I will have to rifle through my magazines and look through my browser history to quote some of this.

But even the ER-1 has hidden functions like if you hold shift while pressing certain sequence buttons, while in sample mode or pattern mode; you can then do things like change the pattern length or copy notes from one pattern to another. This is obviously different because those functions are plainly visible on the ielectribe, but that does nit change the fact that electribes have always used modifier buttons to give more function with fewer buttons.
[/quote]

xmlguy wrote:
But hey, it's only $19.99, right?  Isn't it still pretty cool to have something close to an ER-1 for that price, that runs on batteries and with a touchscreen?  Smile

Yes this is kind of cool, but honestly I rarely use my ER-1 because I find it limiting. Can't really write basslines or even basic melodies on it, and after a while I feel like the drums are a bit limiting (even tweaking the hell out of them). Without sampling capacity or a piano roll type tool, then a drum machine is just a drum machine, you still have to Carry a synth to write for your beats. Currently that means you still have to carry a laptop. And if you wanted to perform with ielectribe is there a midi sync function? Without midi sync... You can see where I am going. Samples, I need the ability to change the samples.

X-Trade wrote:
It is based on the ER-1, not the ES or ESX. There is the addition of the 'tubes' and some different effect types, which make it appear a bit like an X model, but it has been very clearly stated that it is based on the ER-1 - an analog style drum/rhythm machine. Not in any way a sampler.

Tubes are cool, the effects are cool, but without resampling or the ability to resample or stack different effects, I feel the patterns produced on this remain a bit two dimensional. This app needs try before you buy, or a lite version because the press does not know how to describe this app. I feel like there is no way to find the full functionality of this app without buying it. I will be much less likely to buy an app like this in the future because of this. I have done an excessive amount of research on this app and nobody has a clear run down of everyhthing the ielectribe does. Articles and reviews of the ielectribe seem to be written by people that don't write technically complicated music. Yeah I might use this app once in a while but my quest is still ongoing, I'm still looking for an app that I can use my own samples, beatslice, resample, BPM's over 500, variable time signatures (ability to write stuff in 3/8 5/16 ect), 32nd notes (16th notes does not cut it for me.) I have been using an app called bhajis loops on my palm devices for a long time. Bhajis loops does many of these things, but does not have the form of a traditional drum machine, it runs on my palm and I always compare app's to bhajis loops because I have been able to to these things on a palm device for many years. Bhajis loops is my bar that I compare almost all other mobile production tools to. It just feels like I have downgraded my mobile studio when these features are missing. I know that korg does not have the responsibility to measure up the the features of every other random app available on every platform, but I do think that korg should make apps that improve upon their own devices. Unless this app is not considered a pro app, then it's a novelty app. I am looking for apps that can improve my home studio, write usable tracks on the go, without taking up tons of space.

I know this whole rant might sound whiney, but is not directed specifically at korg, its general frustration with the situation and I am hoping going forward that korg will put out apps that improve upon their own existing app's/tools.
My korg gear consists of: ES-1, ER-1, MS2000, DS-10 and now the iElectribe for the iPad. Other gear: a lot of bent toys, some vintage keyboards (including an 80's keytar), some Roland effects processors/ samplers (I now boycott Roland because they have miserable customer service), and a bunch of m-audio USB midi controllers.
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about midi sync? Is there any way to use midi OSC (or whatever that midi iPhone / iPad standard for midi) with ielectribe? I'm trying to find a use for this app with my production habits, so far I don't see how it is usable with anything else. Also why does it say this app is 10$ everywhere and I was charged 20$? I could swear it said 9.99$ in the app store and my statement says 19.99$.

Disapointment after disappointment.
My korg gear consists of: ES-1, ER-1, MS2000, DS-10 and now the iElectribe for the iPad. Other gear: a lot of bent toys, some vintage keyboards (including an 80's keytar), some Roland effects processors/ samplers (I now boycott Roland because they have miserable customer service), and a bunch of m-audio USB midi controllers.
bog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandacarrot wrote:
Disapointment after disappointment.
False expectations from lack of research will get you that for sure.

For full compositions, look into NanoStudio.
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I could have done better research, but I spent months reading about this app and I never once ran into anything about it only being able to pattern mode (no song mode), never once did it say it was not a sampler, ect. I read about 12 magazines with articles about this app and countless articles online, the app store description, probably 20 or so youtube videos and everyone i saw / read about using this app seems to be unfamiliar with how normal drum machines work. The reviews will never tell you what the program does not do, so a certain amount of experimentation must be done, the only way I could do that was to buy the app.

I thought about it and realized that it would be pointless to make a lite version of this app because if any more features were taken away from this app, it would just be a picture of a drum machine. I would definitely try to get a refund if I thought that was possible.
bog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandacarrot wrote:
Sure I could have done better research, but I spent months reading about this app and I never once ran into anything about it only being able to pattern mode (no song mode), never once did it say it was not a sampler, ect. I read about 12 magazines with articles aboutnthis app and countless articles online, the app store description, probably 20 or so youtube videos

That was not my experience at all. It was fairly explicit wherever it was announced and reviewed that it was a ER-1 based drum synth electribe. Others' posts here support my experience. What does that tell us about you?
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to respond to this post a couple of times and the ielectribe app crashed both times (another issue with the app). Anyway all I want to say is sure it might say something about me, particularly that I more than likely have not read the same pages as you mainly because there are countless, so the fact that one person gets completely different information from (more than probably) different articles, videos ect means a lot (no sarcasm at all). Telling me you got different information than me about this app is like saying "I read the Internet." which is neither possible or a fair claim for a consumer. Read the fine print... The Internet.

I know everyone has different uses and needs for music production apps but in the same way someone could be judged for their researching skills, one could say it says plenty about someone who is satisfied with a drum machine app like this one.

bog wrote:
pandacarrot wrote:
Sure I could have done better research, but I spent months reading about this app and I never once ran into anything about it only being able to pattern mode (no song mode), never once did it say it was not a sampler, ect. I read about 12 magazines with articles aboutnthis app and countless articles online, the app store description, probably 20 or so youtube videos

That was not my experience at all. It was fairly explicit wherever it was announced and reviewed that it was a ER-1 based drum synth electribe. Others' posts here support my experience. What does that tell us about you?

roxxx303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pandacarrot:

You had problems to find a description?
Go to the Korg-Page:

http://www.korg.com/iElectribe

There in the Introduction they write:

"For over a decade, Korg's Electribe-R has been go-to gear for creative musicians from around the world and across multiple electronic and dance music genres. Now, you can take the power of the Electribe-R with you thanks to iElectribe, Korg’s first dedicated app."

I think this is clear statement: "Now, you can take the power of the Electribe-R with you "

So don't think you get a sampler like es or esx !

By the way - look for other apps - I think by now there are some with drums+synth to compose on the go!
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxxx303 wrote:
@pandacarrot:

You had problems to find a description?
Go to the Korg-Page:

http://www.korg.com/iElectribe

There in the Introduction they write:

I think this is clear statement: "Now, you can take the power of the Electribe-R with you "

----
the Electribe-R has a song mode. iElectribe does not have a song mode. possibly the most important functions of using a drum machine instead of a tracker or sequencer.

roxxx303 wrote:
So don't think you get a sampler like es or esx !

By the way - look for other apps - I think by now there are some with drums+synth to compose on the go!

The fact of the matter is really basic, regardless of weather or not I did the right research before hand or not,... iElectribe is not a very good app. Period. Nothing makes iElectribe a good app, even if you did get all the facts before purchasing it. If I did get all the facts before hand I may or may not have purchased it anyway, and it would still have the same value to me regardless of knowing all the details beforehand. The only way anyone might know if they will like a crippled version of an Electribe-R is if you actually handle it or use it. There is no way to do that with this app.

I have found better apps, I just expected more from Korg because my past experiences with Korg have always been good. Lately though... I just hope they dont keep making apps as dumbed down as iElectribe or DS-10. Just because its an app for a iPad or DS does not mean I should have lower expectations than apps for my Mac, PC or Linux machines. I do not believe that as a user you should have to sacrifice functionality and usability for mobility or a new platform or whatever reason Korg decided that this app is just good enough for its users. Perhaps maybe the strategy is, when you use an app like this you realize how much better a real drum machine is and you will go out and spend 500$ on one.This would be a clever scheme but I already have lots of Korg gear, it still does not make me want to give up features or functions, to own a copy of iElectribe and carry it with me everywhere, which does not replace my drum machine or anything else for that matter.
bog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandacarrot wrote:
iElectribe does not have a song mode. possibly the most important functions of using a drum machine FOR ME.

pandacarrot wrote:
iElectribe is not a very good app FOR ME. Period. Nothing makes iElectribe a good app FOR ME, even if you did get all the facts before purchasing it.

pandacarrot wrote:
The only way anyone might know if they will like a crippled version of an Electribe-R is if you actually handle it or use it.

Or read the info on Korg's website or watch demo videos beforehand and understand what it is which you clearly failed to do. It's funny how they made a "crippled" version by adding newer effects and tube emulation from ESX-1 and pattern names/browser, none of which the original ER-1 had.
pandacarrot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bog wrote:

Or read the info on Korg's website or watch demo videos beforehand and understand what it is which you clearly failed to do. It's funny how they made a "crippled" version by adding newer effects and tube emulation from ESX-1 and pattern names/browser, none of which the original ER-1 had.

Dear lord not another one. Ok that's just rude, I am talking about ielectribe and I am giving feedback about my opinions related to ielectribe. Also almost every other person on this thread has tried to negate my opinions on the basis that I read different information than them. Really it is inconceivable to me that this drum machine app would not have song mode. It's like the first iPhone not having copy and paste, how could a smartphone not have copy and paste? It's just crazy. Just like a korg drum machine without song mode. It's inconceivable. Yeah the tube is nice and the app mostly produces clean crisp sounds, but I would easily give that up for a song mode.

If anyone else wants to tell me I should have read something that they read or watched a video they watched, it just does not matter. The subject is exhausted. I am done responding to that argument. And I didn't even come here to argue. I came here looking for features, or tutorials. The main response i got was mostly more or less this, "no you've got it all wrong it's like a portable ER-1... it's really a cool program." sorry to disagree, but I do. There are many other companies out there producing apps that respond to the opinions of their users, I am hoping that korg listens to all of us who want things like beat slicing, sampling, song mode, ect.. I'm reading the forum and visiting other sites, I'm definitely not the only one.

I have been a korg fan for a long time because I like their products. Build Quality, innovations, new effects... All the stuff that has made korg as a company for production tools and music gear rivaled by few. But in the instance of the ielectribe, korg has severed up a half empty uncooked cup of cold gruel, if you like cold gruel you are in luck. For the rest if us who were expecting the level of quality products based on previous korg purchases, and have come to expect certain features from korg, well there are a lot of us and we are not happy. Its the same thing as apple in this instance (for me), I have been a long time apple user and some might even say a loyalist, but I have hated iTunes from the start. I would not even consider purchasing an iPod until iTunes changed enough of their policies(DRM mainly) and I would not consider buying an iPod or iPhone until recent changes to iTunes and iOS. I have never owned an iPod or iPhone until purchasing an iPhone 4 and iPad within the last month. Not buying products based on things you don't like about them can have a positive effect on products, also complaining about products will put pressure on companies to do what you want them to do. I went to a meet up and talked with other musicians about iPhone and iPad apps, and not one person had purchased nor was going to purchase this app. Everyone is using nanostudio, xenon, argon, jasuto, sunvox even nanoloop. Everyone else I have talked to in person last week finds the idea of ielectribe to be unappealing, I couldn't argue with them. Korg should be listening to user complaints and requests and then updating the app, adding features and tools. There is nothing stopping them from doing this accept greed, lack of interest or laziness.

Honestly I don't know how someone cannot want song mode unless you are a dj, you don't actually write songs but instead like only to create loops and for some reason want a drum machine app, or you just want to produce extremely repetitive music. The other features like sampling, resampling, beat slicing, midi sync... Those are obvious. People who use drum machines to write songs (songs being the key word here) need these features. Djs I guess one could argue if you buy 2 ipads you might find value in something like this. This whole thread is really directed at korg, if you are some korg loyalist or employee who gets annoyed by my statements, there are very few explanations at to why. If anyone responds with something like, "well you should have read such and such," then you didn't read anything I have written, I have valid reasons for why ielectribe is not a good drum machine app. So I will take it as an act of willful ignorance and if you tell me that you read something different than me, and I will ignore any such statement which obviously lacks any real substance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: