Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample Pack 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agerhbour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips for the organ amp with the Organs?

In the first sound pack and the original sound pack, the leslie amp was fantastic with any of the drawbar organs. Even though the drive was ridiculous, as many people are saying, past 3 or 4, it was still a nice phat drive. It really went down well when just going off.

But now the amp is just bizarre, putting the drive on one makes this really loud useless sound.
Not sure how I should tweak it in the editor to make it back like the original ones.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after diving deeper into the software I was able to create some presets to level out the volumes and its quite a nice experience now.

But what I would still suggest for the next sound pack is making the volumes consistent. Why should the end user have to equalize the sounds? Its simple enough to do, but I paid for the product. I shouldn't have to tie up loose ends.

The light issue needs to be fixed too. Your explanation still doesn't make much sense. Why can't the light just reflect the bank I loaded the sound to? So when I save a favorite thats based on bank 4 of the pianos, bank 4 lights up. Simple... am I missing something?
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:

In the first sound pack and the original sound pack, the leslie amp was fantastic with any of the drawbar organs. Even though the drive was ridiculous, as many people are saying, past 3 or 4, it was still a nice phat drive. It really went down well when just going off.

But now the amp is just bizarre, putting the drive on one makes this really loud useless sound.
Not sure how I should tweak it in the editor to make it back like the original ones.

I noticed this too. Unfortunately, i don't do much with organs so I haven't dug in. Is there any problem with the old sounds? Just copy them into a new preset. Thats what I have done with my e-pianos. I've got quite a mixture of sounds from each pack.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:
agerhbour wrote:

I noticed this too. Unfortunately, i don't do much with organs so I haven't dug in. Is there any problem with the old sounds? Just copy them into a new preset. Thats what I have done with my e-pianos. I've got quite a mixture of sounds from each pack.

Nope, nothing wrong with the old sounds, its just theres more to the organs with the new sounds, ie, samples done with different draw bar settings, the split organ in the presets, etc etc. Its just a shame that at the moment any drive on these new organs render them useless.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:
mackbaz wrote:
agerhbour wrote:

Nope, nothing wrong with the old sounds, its just theres more to the organs with the new sounds, ie, samples done with different draw bar settings, the split organ in the presets, etc etc. Its just a shame that at the moment any drive on these new organs render them useless.

Indeed. I am still wondering how this soundpack got out in this state. Jerry describes the flaws almost as preferences, but they are clearly flaws. I am not reading about anyone being happy about the level of absurd distortion achieved with level 10 drive. Or the volume change in the sp. Oh well I suppose. I've dialed in what works best of the available sounds for my liking. lets hope for some more polish the next time.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:

Indeed. I am still wondering how this soundpack got out in this state. Jerry describes the flaws almost as preferences, but they are clearly flaws. I am not reading about anyone being happy about the level of absurd distortion achieved with level 10 drive. Or the volume change in the sp. Oh well I suppose. I've dialed in what works best of the available sounds for my liking. lets hope for some more polish the next time.

Well to be fair, the samples themselves are superb. I guess thats all we're really being offered, the rest is then up to our own taste I suppose.

But I know where you're coming from, its a pain in the neck to have to modify each sound to get it sounding nice with drive and reverb, especially when there's so much to change in the editor, and I'm not really sure what all of those parameters do.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:
mackbaz wrote:

Well to be fair, the samples themselves are superb. I guess thats all we're really being offered, the rest is then up to our own taste I suppose.

But I know where you're coming from, its a pain in the neck to have to modify each sound to get it sounding nice with drive and reverb, especially when there's so much to change in the editor, and I'm not really sure what all of those parameters do.

My main gripe is that there should be some level of consistency; not this buffet of default parameters for each new pack. Why should a piano from sp2 be louder than one from sp1. I can't find any sense in this.
Now if I wanted to make my upright louder for some reason, then I go into the editor and do it. No biggy. But start from some kind of index level
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of off topic, but how is your keybed. I'm getting some clicking sounds on a few of my keys when I lay fully into them. I also get a good amount of vibration from something behind the panel. Is this normal for this board. I have to do some discerning befor I decide to drive 80 miles to a service center.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound levels of different pianos from different sound packs doesn't really bother me, I havn't really picked up on it.
I guess the main thing is that each sound pack has a consistent level of volume internally, rather than comparing different sound packs.

I'm not so sure about my keybed...I think it may be wearing quite fast, but I'm not really sure. I do notice those clicks sometimes.

I don't know if this is silly, but some days it feels nicer than other days. I could be completely wrong though. Its so hard to tell.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:
The sound levels of different pianos from different sound packs doesn't really bother me, I havn't really picked up on it.
I guess the main thing is that each sound pack has a consistent level of volume internally, rather than comparing different sound packs.

I'm not so sure about my keybed...I think it may be wearing quite fast, but I'm not really sure. I do notice those clicks sometimes.

I don't know if this is silly, but some days it feels nicer than other days. I could be completely wrong though. Its so hard to tell.

You are correct, the sound levels are consistent per pack, but that sucks when I want some of the other sounds.

Any way, about the keybed... i have good days too... I first thought humidity, but these are plastic keys not wood. I have noticed that if I wiggle that particular key around i get the sound. Its as if the plastic outside layer isn't completely attached to the core of the key, so when it is pushed sideways or down past a certain point, it smacks the internal part making the click. I wonder if this can be fixed. I gets annoying when I am not playing at loud volumes.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

The Drive knob on the SV-1 in any Soundpack cannot be dialed up through its whole range... I understand that there were a few ticks of range possible in the preload and SP#1, but that's all... a few ticks at best. Right?

Soundpack 2 delivers a different tonality and possibilities from the amp sims but it is best used in a "turn it on or off" basis, not using the dial. We felt that was also a valid approach, a well-crafted setting that you either turn on or not.

I'm sorry to hear that a few of you are disappointed by that, but try using it that way.

I'm curious... do you constantly change the rate and depth of the other effects, or do you just turn them on/off when needed?

Regards,

Jerry
agerhbour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Hello:

The Drive knob on the SV-1 in any Soundpack cannot be dialed up through its whole range... I understand that there were a few ticks of range possible in the preload and SP#1, but that's all... a few ticks at best. Right?

Soundpack 2 delivers a different tonality and possibilities from the amp sims but it is best used in a "turn it on or off" basis, not using the dial. We felt that was also a valid approach, a well-crafted setting that you either turn on or not.

I'm sorry to hear that a few of you are disappointed by that, but try using it that way.

I'm curious... do you constantly change the rate and depth of the other effects, or do you just turn them on/off when needed?

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry, for SV1, my main use of drive was the first few ticks as you said. However, when using the organs, particularly the B3 organ sound, if I got into a big solo, I have at times cranked the drive up to 8 or 9 with reverb of 8 or 9 also. Yes, it is very over the top, but thats what I was going for in a screeching solo.
But for general playing, the drive was useless over 4.

For soundpack 2, even the drive on 1 is far too much, it sounds like my system is going to blow up when I use it. So even for an on/off use, using the amp on, the drive has to be on 0, which is useless isn't it? Doesn't that cut out some of the sound?

The only other thing that I change while playing is the modulation speed normally. But yes there are times when I change other values while playing. However my biggest use for most of them is to set up a nice sound before I play a song, which is why it is good to have a range from 0-10 which is usable.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:
jerrythek wrote:
Hello:

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry, for SV1, my main use of drive was the first few ticks as you said. However, when using the organs, particularly the B3 organ sound, if I got into a big solo, I have at times cranked the drive up to 8 or 9 with reverb of 8 or 9 also. Yes, it is very over the top, but thats what I was going for in a screeching solo.
But for general playing, the drive was useless over 4.

For soundpack 2, even the drive on 1 is far too much, it sounds like my system is going to blow up when I use it. So even for an on/off use, using the amp on, the drive has to be on 0, which is useless isn't it? Doesn't that cut out some of the sound?

The only other thing that I change while playing is the modulation speed normally. But yes there are times when I change other values while playing. However my biggest use for most of them is to set up a nice sound before I play a song, which is why it is good to have a range from 0-10 which is usable.

I think a good medium approach would be using the on/off switch for the on/off feature, but still maintaining that variation. A knob with 10 vartiations should be usable, and then pop the switch if you don't want the amp.

Its true most of us would just tune it in to one setting and go, but with an available knob, why not have the functionality. Its like disabling my middle mouse button since I rarely use it. That would be a bad choice. If I need it, its there and convenient.

Just my 2 cents, the old method was better, and if possible a full 10 variation usuable knob. Though I am not familiar with the electronics to see if thats possible.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, curious. what are the new tonal possibilities. I am not doubting you, I was just using it in the manner of the old amp sim and noticed the different drive levels. Is there somethign new in the editor I haven't seen?

I'm always open to playing with new sounds.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is that the amount of Drive has already been set in the programming, so when you turn on the button there is already an amp sim/overdrive amount that the programmer intended to be used "as is".

So there's two states - without and with. used as is.

I don't mean to get into a deep philosophical discussion of the whole range/amount of the amp sim, because I personally don't love the way it is implemented, so I am not trying to completely defend it.

If I could "dream" with you I would do two things:

1) make the range of the knob completely linear, like when you use the Function + Bass EQ to control the RX noises - that goes from 00-127 in single step increments. No more big jumps...

2) Tie the Drive knob to both the Amp Gain and the Speaker Output in inverse relationship, so when you up the gain you lower the output, this way you get more drive without raising the volume at the same time.

But I don't write the code, do the work. So I have shared these as a wish list with the team, but cannot make any promises that this will get done, or when, or anything. I just am sharing this so you know that I am not arguing with you, telling you I think everything is perfect and you're crazy, or any such thing.

But... I am trying to offer you the best ideas I have to work with the system and the sounds as they are today - because it can be done.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: