Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New AX3000B owner! Thoughts and questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: New AX3000B owner! Thoughts and questions... Reply with quote

So, I finally went along and after trying it out (and chatting for ages with the Bass guy at the shop, who didn't even like bass effects in general), I bought the AX3000B Cool

I have to say on initial impressions this is a seriously good, fully featured multiFX pedal. I play it in the studio, through PA or a 'clean' amp, and use the built in amp and cabinet effects, which are very nice to have although I usually find a little too 'transparent' or too 'full on', it would have been nice to have the 'air' or mic placement adjustment options that my Radias' FX section has (A lot of the effects sound similar to the Radias 'Kaoss based' FX), and possibly the ability to blend in (or mix) the original signal too.

The manual is less helpful than the manuals of other Korg products I use, it generally seems not very descriptive. There is no technical detail or many diagrams of the way the effects actually work on the signal. The fretless effect is most confusing - just saying 'this makes your bass sound like a fretless', its just stating the obvious! I want to know what it does to the sound to make it sound like that, because to be honest I don't hear it doing anything....

Anyway, I really DO love the synth sounds. Don't completely understand it, there was no description of what the waveforms actually are, and I don't understand the 'modulation'. Is there some kind of filter built in, in addition to the 'filtron'? It sounds like it... but I also don't like it! one thing I'd like to achieve is something similar to a more traditional electro/dance/trance synth bass sound, for playing live. The auto-filter effect just makes it sound like more of a 'funk' effect. Any tips or favourites for getting a great synthbass sound?
I'd particularly like to try and make something like Muse's "Hysteria" and "Time is Running Out" (both from the "Absolution" album).

The synth also doesn't seem to like my Steinberger Spirit's tone. It plays the correct octave for about half a second, and then breaks up before settling for the note an octave above throughought the decay of the strings. I am thinking I need to get some new strings because I have been meaning to for a while anyway, but have little money for it. I just hope it isn't the unique tone of the Steinberger that it doesn't like!
Also a compressor tends to help with synth tracking but they are both on the same knob! Rolling Eyes

Reverb and delay tend to be pretty bad on Bass so I'm surprised they didn't put both of these on the same knob and add another section in the middle. I can't think of any situation where I would use reverb on Bass, and I would rarely use delay, most certainly never both!

But it also sounds great with my guitar, which was really important for me! Only a handful of the Cab settings are useful for guitar, but that is to be expected really... Its a shame there is no dedicated EQ section either really.
In general I get the impression it sounds better and is more professional than the GT-6B which I used to own, but that did have more simultaneous effects.

Any thoughts, tips, or shortcuts from other AXxB users would be greatly appreciated.
...back to playing! Very Happy
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: