Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mesh Head on Wavedrum?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario M.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Mesh Head on Wavedrum? Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I was interested in buying a wavedrum, because I hoped it would enable me to practice while travelling without disturbing persons in adjoining rooms.

Now I had the opportunity to actually try out a wavedrum at a local store, but I was disappointed. Even when played it with my hands it seemed way to noisy for using it in a hotel room.

I have heard that some users have replaced the original skin with a mesh head, resulting in considerably less noise during practice. They claim that the wavedrum is still very responsive and sounds sufficiently well with a mesh head. I was quite excited to read that, because that would actually solve my problem.

But when I asked my dealer, he told me, that the wavedrum uses microphones instead of triggers (which I was aware of) and therefore does not work with mesh heads.

I don't know what to believe.

So are there any users round here, who have actually used the wavedrum with a mesh head? What are your opinions about replacing the original skin?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I finally have a definitive answer to this one!

I just finished experimenting with a mesh head on my Wavedrum.
It does work, but very poorly.

As I suspected, the transducers have no problem picking up some information from the mesh head, but there just isn't enough information being generated through the mesh to make it very useful.

It is quiet, yes. But it felt a bit like playing on a loose tennis racket. What I found was that with programs like #61 D&B Synth, I had to strike the head extremely hard with a stick in order to generate the snare sound in the middle of the head. With #15 Djembe, I could only barely generate the slap sounds on the edge of the head. There was just very little dynamic range. The tabla didn't sound very good at all.

Think of it like comparing a large piece of sheet metal to a trampoline. If your were to strike the sheet metal, a vibration would easily carry itself across the surface and create a lot of sound (signal) in the process. Strike a trampoline with a stick and you're going to hear something but there won't be much vibrational "information" there.

Likewise, the mesh head is meant to be quiet and therefore doesn't serve as a good source for vibration. It also felt way too soft when being played with sticks. I actually thought it would feel quite "springy" like when mounted to an electronic kit. But with the pressure sensor pushing against it, it made for an uninspiring surface to play on.

It really isn't practical.

Oh well. It was worth a try! Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised how well most hotels are insulated. I have asked adjoining room if I'm bothering them and universally the replies are no. I am on the road every week and the wavedrum or a guitar or mandolin goes with me every trip. I woner are there thicker head or could you put a second skin on for a little more muting, of course you have to remove the ring of one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: