Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for better sound for voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielabc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Tips for better sound for voice Reply with quote

Hi
I am trying to record my voice , but still not satisfied. Although I think I improved with my mixing(reverb…), I am still looking for something that could make my singing sounds more professional ; a tip, trick, secret (like for example , in restaurant , professionals might have some kind of secrets making the food tasty, or whatever).

My voice sounds (it s hard to explain) too close , like in a conversation. It s clear, but it lacks depth . I could make it more far, but then I lose the clearness.
I saw a advice to duplicate the track , and make with the pan :one in the middle , one left , one right. It could be a little bit better, but I am still not satisfied with the result.
When I hear professional stuff ( not necessarily super professional), and my stuff , I see the difference ; and I am wondering, maybe there is a tip/tips , maybe even simple tips , with the microphone , recording, mixing, that can make a difference
Thanks
Daniel
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe I'd suggest a compressor - and sing from a bit of a distance (4 inches or so from the microphone). Try this in conjunction with the reverb (plate reverb, right?) you've already found out. Maybe some EQing. Not much more should be needed on a single lead vocal (even these sound already a bit over the top to me).

Oh, and a microphone. Serious. The first thing you need for a good vocal recording is a microphone that suits the voice. Try some, you'll notice the difference.
danielabc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks synthjoe Smile
Daniel
Adri3nChaos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use EQ on my vocals. I bring the treble band up kind of a lot, but not too much. It seems to add clarity, and I can basically stand anywhere I want in proportion to where the mic is. one thing I really find that helps is that my interface that I use to record In to the computer has a "Pad" Button and it really compresses/limits the amount of sound that is being input so when I sing into it, its like it's picking up the vocals as best it possible could.
ogleeson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with the acoustics of the room you are using that is always a good start. Sing about 6 inches or so from the mic and use a pop shield to stop the mic distorting. Angle the mic so that its facing up slightly, maybe 20 degrees, as this helps flatten out harsh frequencies. If the mic has a low-pass switch, turn it on. As far as EQ goes, completely drop out all frequencies below 100hz. If it needs a little bit of sparkle, notch it up 3/4db's at 15khz.

Compression is the key really - professional studio's usually compress the s**t out of everything, but because the gear is so good, its harder to notice. It really depends on the style of music you are performing - if you tell us what you are into and what programme you use it will make life alot easier, and I can give you some preset ideas for your compressor to make you vocal stand out.

Effects like reverb/delay/chorus generally need to be used sparingly.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little trick I learned from a few producer friends is to use a "magic mic". Use 2 separate mics (if available)- possibly one dynamic, one condenser. Sing "directly" (or as directly as you care to) into the "close" mic and position the other mic across the room or at least farther away. Then mix the two sources together with your favorite DAW. This kind of emulates the multiple take approach but allows for doing it concurrently.
I know most major studios will condense multiple takes to double or thicken the vocals. You can hear this approach used a lot on seriously professional tracks so you are spot on with recognizing that method.
Other than fine-tuning your performance and mic placement, absolutely start tweaking with the EQ. Remember that there are good general rules for starting points as far as standard frequency ranges go; but, everyone's voice and performance technique is different. Another nice bit of advice I've received is to think of EQ as existing more to trim than to add to the sound. If you want to retain a natural tone and character to your vocals try trimming the edges around your "sweet spot". However, that's not to say that you can't get some nice effects by boosting other areas. As was previously mentioned you can boost those high ends to add some "shimmer" and "sheen" or "air" to the vocals; but, think of boosting EQ as an effect and trimming EQ as a tool: the trimming approach will sound more natural and the boost approach will sound more synthetic.
Hope this helps... Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
jolive213

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
I agree with you and like your idea. Actually I have gather some experience from your post and now I am clear Smile

I will try to record my voice.

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always run my microphone through a tube pre amp. I like the way it warms up the sound of my voice.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: