Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why the keybed issues?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: why the keybed issues? Reply with quote

I'm noticing there are a few folks with keybed issues and complaints, myself being one of them. Just gets you thinking, what's up with the RH3 keybeds? To begin with the larger spaces between b/c notes and e/f. The space is double the gap between other notes, and I swear on one of mine the gap is actually widening! Then there's the mysterious "key click" that seems to appear after playing the SV for a few weeks. I had it on 1 key, now 2, and I know others on this forum have it worse. Then there's the key bounce issue which causes me to play double notes when I don't mean to. I had one SV-1 that reacted with the bounce returned it and my newer one does it as well, so I don't think it was a faulty keybed. Korg proclaims the RH3 to be their "Finest" hammer action keybed. Well if that's the case they'd best be going back to the drawing board. Other companies like Roland and Yamaha offer hammer action weighted keybeds that feel great and respond beautifully. The keys are nice and even, no odd gaps. So what gives Korg? I think they should have just used a Fatar or Yamaha keybed in the SV-1. I really love my SV overall, but the keybed is just poorly designed, plain and simple. I've been a Korg fan and user for over 25 years, and always loved their gear quality and innovation. But this keybed falls a bit short in my opinion. I have little faith in it's longevity.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: why the keybed issues? Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
I'm noticing there are a few folks with keybed issues and complaints, myself being one of them. Just gets you thinking, what's up with the RH3 keybeds? To begin with the larger spaces between b/c notes and e/f. The space is double the gap between other notes, and I swear on one of mine the gap is actually widening! Then there's the mysterious "key click" that seems to appear after playing the SV for a few weeks. I had it on 1 key, now 2, and I know others on this forum have it worse. Then there's the key bounce issue which causes me to play double notes when I don't mean to. I had one SV-1 that reacted with the bounce returned it and my newer one does it as well, so I don't think it was a faulty keybed. Korg proclaims the RH3 to be their "Finest" hammer action keybed. Well if that's the case they'd best be going back to the drawing board. Other companies like Roland and Yamaha offer hammer action weighted keybeds that feel great and respond beautifully. The keys are nice and even, no odd gaps. So what gives Korg? I think they should have just used a Fatar or Yamaha keybed in the SV-1. I really love my SV overall, but the keybed is just poorly designed, plain and simple. I've been a Korg fan and user for over 25 years, and always loved their gear quality and innovation. But this keybed falls a bit short in my opinion. I have little faith in it's longevity.

I actually just took my keyboard in for "repair" (that's what Korg told me to do) at Sweetwater. I described the issue and the technician even confirmed that the sounds were weird, but they disassembled the unit and there were no broken pieces. They said they wouldn't be able to claim replacement parts under warranty. I'm going to contact Korg now. I agree that this is not the best keybed. We have an older sp-100 that might not have the same touch, it definitely does not have these physical noise issues. I'm a little upset. This thing was 2,000 dollars and the sp100 was 600 in its day. Just curious, do you have the 88 key?
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: why the keybed issues? Reply with quote

That is a bummer! Should really be covered under warranty. I have the 73 key. I've owned many Korg keyboards starting with a DW8000 back in the 80's. Never had an issue until now. Good luck with the repair and with Korg. Curious to know what they'll have to say about it.
virtuocity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: why the keybed issues? Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
That is a bummer! Should really be covered under warranty. I have the 73 key. I've owned many Korg keyboards starting with a DW8000 back in the 80's. Never had an issue until now. Good luck with the repair and with Korg. Curious to know what they'll have to say about it.

I have this problem as well.

I have contacted my retailer (Dolphin Music UK) and they initially wanted to help me, but I have not heard from them in 3 weeks.

I wonder if they are awaiting official word from Korg as to whether this is a universal problem requiring a recall or whether to not bother replacing it at all.

I have owned an SP-200 in the past which was solid as hell, but this thing is annoying me.
velour100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I don't know what the problem is, but I don't hear anything you are saying. My keybed is fine. I do have the small gap between two notes, but I don't hear a clicking sound.

Do you hear it in the sound? Or, when the SV1 off.. When I play, I use IEM, so that should be really good to hear.. Anyway, I don't hear it.. So, I was wondering, what the exact problem would be.

Can someone explain it to me please?

Thanks in advanced!
mackbaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velour100 wrote:
Hi everyone, I don't know what the problem is, but I don't hear anything you are saying. My keybed is fine. I do have the small gap between two notes, but I don't hear a clicking sound.

Do you hear it in the sound? Or, when the SV1 off.. When I play, I use IEM, so that should be really good to hear.. Anyway, I don't hear it.. So, I was wondering, what the exact problem would be.

Thanks in advanced!

Its the physical noise of the key (more on some than others). The sound coming out of the speakers is unaffected. I am a bit upset with sweetwater's/ korg's policy on this. they say its the nature of the keyboard, but I know its not when I play a good one. When I fall on a key in a slightly off position with a decent amount of force, it will click. I also have a key that has a completely different physical noise that seems unrelated. I am contacting korg directly on this one. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

The reason I know its an issue, is that I can really hit some keys and have no clicking; others, it doesn't take much. Playing softly resolves the issue, but sometimes when I am playings some good funk or a forte section in classical I need to bring out the expression. It really sucks when I hear a nice big click along with it.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velour100 wrote:

Thanks in advanced!

As Mackbaz said it's not something you hear through the speakers. Sound is not affected. It's a physical problem with the keys. And like yourself, my keybed was fine when it arrived. It took about a month for the click to develop. It's a clicking noise present when I press and again when I release the keys. Now I have it on 2 keys. I imagine it will happen on more keys as time goes by. As far as the gaps, it's not really a big deal, but why? Other manufacturers have weighted hammer action keybeds without odd gaps. On a $2000 keyboard I don't think level, evenly spaced keys is too much to ask for.
velour100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyboard komuso wrote:
velour100 wrote:

Thanks in advanced!

As Mackbaz said it's not something you hear through the speakers. Sound is not affected. It's a physical problem with the keys. And like yourself, my keybed was fine when it arrived. It took about a month for the click to develop. It's a clicking noise present when I press and again when I release the keys. Now I have it on 2 keys. I imagine it will happen on more keys as time goes by. As far as the gaps, it's not really a big deal, but why? Other manufacturers have weighted hammer action keybeds without odd gaps. On a $2000 keyboard I don't think level, evenly spaced keys is too much to ask for.

Okay, I understand the problem. I will find out myself, if I have the problem as well. I have my SV1-88 since January this year. Thanks for the information!
velour100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again Wink. I tried to listen to the keys, but I don't here a werd click or noise.. So, that would mean probably that I don't play as much as you do..?

What I do hear, when I play the Rhodes, the G2 (from the Central G up) the sound is sometime double when I press that key in. But not all the time. When I press the same note, when I play the piano, I don't hear it at all..

I was thinking that the sample of the Rhodes is doing that, but I don't know if that is possible.

I played the new Rhodes Mark7, and I had the same kind of feeling as I was describing above. So.. it could be the sample.

Well, that's it for now.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velour100 wrote:
Back again Wink. I tried to listen to the keys, but I don't here a werd click or noise.. So, that would mean probably that I don't play as much as you do..?

What I do hear, when I play the Rhodes, the G2 (from the Central G up) the sound is sometime double when I press that key in. But not all the time. When I press the same note, when I play the piano, I don't hear it at all..

I was thinking that the sample of the Rhodes is doing that, but I don't know if that is possible.

I played the new Rhodes Mark7, and I had the same kind of feeling as I was describing above. So.. it could be the sample.

Well, that's it for now.

Its the physical key thats making the noise. I can hear it when the board's not on.
velour100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mackbaz,

I was cleaning my piano today, and take a closer look on my keybed. And when I pressed in a key, I do hear some kind of a clicking sound indeed.

But, its all over the board and, in mine opinion, not that loud. But, I have never heard a keybed making a noise like that. That is however new to me.

But is it a real problem? What do you think can possibly happen? I would like to hear that.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velour100 wrote:
Hi Mackbaz,

I was cleaning my piano today, and take a closer look on my keybed. And when I pressed in a key, I do hear some kind of a clicking sound indeed.

But, its all over the board and, in mine opinion, not that loud. But, I have never heard a keybed making a noise like that. That is however new to me.

But is it a real problem? What do you think can possibly happen? I would like to hear that.

Well my main problem is that it is inconsistent across the keybed. Some keys do it much more than others (not keys I play more, in fact I try to avoid them sometimes). And the one key that has a different sound no matter how light i am on the key..

I'd really like a new keybed for a keyboard at this price. Unfortunately korg will not respond to my emails
mackbaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way here's a recent video I created and sent to korg. Let's see what happens.

Make sure you watch it in the higher quality for sound clarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2wa7dbxJI
Jkucken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Good Video, Thanks! Reply with quote

I´m very happy with my SV-1 73, but I´ve the same "Problem"?, same Sound with the keys/keybed...
...some weeks ago also one key was broken, now repaired by Korg Service.
I hope this won´t happen again Rolling Eyes
mackbaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something tells me there is something inherently wrong with the RH3 keybed. It may be "the nature of the keybed." But for today's standards it's unacceptable. I've played way too many other keyboards that aren't like this at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: