Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why the keybed issues?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mackbaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happened to me as well. Though its not as bad, I have learned to deal with it. The thing still inspires me to play, and its a blast. I will definitely hold reservations for Korg's keybeds in the future though. Its a shame, but it is what it is.
razeontherock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I wonder if anyone can address this?

I have a Fatar SL 880. Absolutely fabulous keybed / action. Electronics SUCK. Took me many years to realize the problem, but midi velocity is only good from above 64 to below 90. I'd feel guilty selling it off to anyone, and even donating it to a local school for underprivileged kids would be problematic, cause you need not only module / tone generator, but amp and speaker. Heck it'd be cheaper to just buy 'em something new that's self-contained.

Is it possible to frankenstein the keybed into something else, like maybe my great old Roland A90 that I just broke a key on at a gig tonight with a horrible monitor mix? (Rather than to keep replacing keys that will just break again?) Might be a great solution for the SV-1? Played both it and Roland's comparable model (700 GNX?) recently, and while both are great I don't see that they have anything much over my A90.
Sean_McLuckie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Clicking keys not acceptable. Reply with quote

I purchased a SV-1 in late September 2012.

While I was generally very happy with the piano sounds and the electric piano sounds, I was disappointed with the organ sounds. Too, although there were two additional soundpacks, these were in effect different presets using the same samples as were already found in the SV-1. The SV-1 was also limited as a controller (receives / sends only on the same channel for example). But, despite the above, I was content with the SV-1.

HOWEVER, I couldn't handle the clicking noices that were almost immediately apparent for some of the keys (Bflat3, Aflat3, Eflat3, C3, Eflat2, C2). Whereas there is a generally uniform *thunk* sound made by most of the keys when played, the clicking keys also had a higher register sound that appeared to be from some sort of mechanical impact. For some keys, I could actually feel the different impact. And I could hear the clicking over my headphones.... I found it to be very disappointing and disconcerting to say the least. While key click may have been inherent to certain electronic instruments, I am not a fan of it when playing piano!

Insofar that I liked the sounds of the SV-1, I first tried see whether Korg would fix the keys. I sent the keyboard to the local authorized repair rep. The board got returned without beinging fixed. Korg was not willing to replace the keybed or even the specific keys. Evidently, the board was 'within spec' and therefore no warranty work would be authorized.

Fortunately, I purchased the unit at a musical instrument vendor in Canada with a good return policy. The Korg SV-1 went back. I am certain to have reservations about any Korg products in the future.

My advice for potential purchasers - know the return policy of your vendor. Too, I would recommend actually opening the product at the store and testing it before you take possession (if they will allow this).

Caveat Emptor
RobinOtto1990

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the comments, threads and forums that'd passed my eyes (including this thread), I was scared to buy the SV-1. As a matter of fact, I had already reserved it, but still had to complete the payment and collect my piano. I was afraid. Afraid that the keys would be stuck, afraid of strange noises arising, afraid of a horrible, horrible keybed and a ruined piano.

In my case, none of this turned out to be true. The only minor con I find considering the keybed, is indeed the natural "thonking" of the keys. This doesn't hinder me that much, but it bothers me a little bit. I just try to take into account all the things mentioned on these forums: Try out the instrument at your local shop, make sure the instrument is always placed horizontally, that sort of stuff. Make sure it's okay before you get it, and that it stays okay. But don't be too scared to buy the SV1, because, in the (hopefully not rare) case that it's fine and dandy, it feels just fine.

This is my personal experience, and I can imagine some people might see it differently. I was just lucky, maybe?

Roland FP-2
Boss dr220a
dpettigrew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: SV1 - stuck keys, clicking on multiple keys Reply with quote

hey, been reading this post. agreed. i've had my sv173 for 3 years now, i'm a very hard player & use the board a few times a week to gig. major clicking on all of the keys used the most. i have had two keys in 6 months that have just plain gone down and haven't come up, have had to take the board into my local keyboard shop and have it repaired. i'm a HUGE fan of this keyboard, the look, the sounds & everything about it. i get multiple compliments on gigs as to how it looks and sounds, i just wish the keybed was more sturdy & solid. amazing that Korg hasn't addressed this.

good luck everyone & happy playing...
javaj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I have had is if you are playing hard- you can make a key hit the an adjacent key (thus giving you that plastic knocking sound as if you have long nails playing the keys). There is wiggle room on all the keys so you can have it move horizontally, hitting adjoining keys, depending on your playing style (or angle at which you strike a key).
Geitin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Key clicks Reply with quote

I just received a red 73-key SV1, and out of the box it has two keys that sound noticably different (more clicky and similar to the youtube video posted in the thread)

This can be very annoying to hear when you are playing through speakers on low volume, but as far as I can tell it has no effect on the tactile "feel" of the keys and it's such a fun keyboard that I am reluctant to give up on it.

But it's another story if these clicky keys indicate that they are likely to develop more severe problems in the future. So I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this?
xp50player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has some slightly clicky keys, but no malfunctions or audible artifacts since I purchased July 2011.
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution for Korg to fix the keybed issue is to just make a Rack-Mount version of the SV-1..... and then I'll just use my trusty, awesome, never-failing 20-year old Yamaha KX-88 as the controller.
JJESP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp50player wrote:
mine has some slightly clicky keys, but no malfunctions or audible artifacts since I purchased July 2011.

I bought my 88 black in January 2013. I haven't used it so much. But the key clicking is already starting. First it was on one key, now at least 4 keys do this annoying loud click.

What I don't understand is that Korg made this model for more than 3 years. They even put out new versions of it. And they didn't listen to customers complaining about this issue. They could at least fix it with a new version of the keybed, when putting new versions on the market.

Its so disappointing. I will never put my money in a Korg keyboard again. So much money for me, and now I even can't enjoy playing it... Sad And how could I sell it, when a possible buyer tries it and hear the clicking? I feel ripped off!
clonedike

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Past my warrantee Reply with quote

I never really noticed clicking, BUT I've had three keys break already, and I never break keys. The action also feels sluggish to me -- I can't play as fast as I can on my old upright. I'm past my warrantee and I don't know if there's anything they could do about the action anyway, so I'm thinking of selling it. I suppose I could call Korg and see if they can help me....?[/b]
MangoT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any video still available showing the clicking sound on the keybed? The links posted earlier are not available anymore.
Mrtrip54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Sv1 noisy keys Reply with quote

I just returned my sv1 for the second and last time. The first time I received it 3 keys were frozen, you could not push them down, the second one was fine for a few days and then 2 keys started making a annoying clicking sound. So I now went with the Roland 300.
MamboKeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering purchasing an SV-1-73 for my live setup. Currently, it includes a Korg M3-61 and a Hammond Xk-1c. I wanted a keyboard with a longer keybed than 61, and with the style of music my band plays, the SV-1 would seem like a natural. I also like the fact that it can take the output of another keyboard (or mixer) and sum it into its own outputs.

Anyway, now I'm worried about buying one. I was also considering a Krome 88, but it seemed like redundancy given my M3. I'm wondering, since most of the complaints I've seen here dated back to 2010/11, if perhaps in the past 5-6 years Korg has addressed this issue?
unclebyron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mambokeys,

I can understand your concern about the old keybed issues but this was restricted to the newest models when it was first released years ago. Korg has addressed it on the SV-1 as well as the Kronos which uses the same keybed.

The black models have the newer keybed and they are usually marked with a "Made in Japan" sticker on the highest E key. At least they used to.

I have the original red SV-1 and it has been performed perfectly for years with no keybed or any other issues so the keybed flaw occurred on some but not all of the red units.

To me, the red one just looks better than the black one.

I had the Krome 88 and although I liked the sounds and large color screen interface, the keybed was of low quality and felt clunky. If you haven't already, you should test it first for yourself. I eventually replaced it with a Kronos X73.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: