Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to record properly???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahavishnujoel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: How to record properly??? Reply with quote

Hi,

i don't know if this is the right thread but here I go

I play guitar, bass, keyboards and a little bit of drums.
the thing is that im trying to record my own stuff for a demo or whatever and I was thinking how can I have the best quality of sound for:

Guitar(prs custom)= i run it trough a line 6 pod but I connect the pedal directly to the Line input of my laptop
Keyboard(korg r3)=it goes directly to the Line input
Bass(fender jazzbass)= i run it trough a bass amp and trough the phones out directly to the line input of my laptop
Drum machine(boss dr880)= i run directly trough the input of my laptop
my question is =
is this the best way to connect my instruments for recording? do I need a audio interface or something?
i don't use midi or anything like that just the audio from what i'm playing on the instruments.

so far the sound is not bad but latency is annoying. I also wanted to know what programs are good and don't cost a lot of money ($200)

by the way my laptop is a PC, i know its not ideal but i am a student and don't have the money for something better.

so please any help by the experts in this forums would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
peace
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs are great although there are a lot more configurations of PCs and some are very underpowered.

you've got the right idea. In your situation, a direct line-in into the computer will provide the cleanest sound. Equally if you did have an audio interface you would probably be plugging directly into that - the same as 'line in' really.

A few good pieces of recording software (DAWs) I can recommend:
- Reaper
- Audacity
Google

One thing, is that most people wouldn't bother plugging a bass into the bass amp. If you've got a compressor pedal or rack compressor, go into that and straight into the computer. The only advantage of the amp would be if you really like the sound of that amp and wanted to mic it up yourself. You can always add a bass amp/cab effect to the track when mixing later.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mahavishnujoel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot!

by the way I read in this forum that it's better to use the line outputs (left/right) on synths like the korg r3 (which thanks to your advice will be arriving soon) than the headphones outputs. the problem I have with this is that my computer has only one line input so I can only connect one of the outputs from the korg making it mono. is there any way I can have it stereo without using the headphones output?

thanks in advance
pillbug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a minimum you probably need ASIO drivers for latency, such as ASIO4ALL or similar.
montelee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahavishnujoel wrote:
thanks a lot!

by the way I read in this forum that it's better to use the line outputs (left/right) on synths like the korg r3 (which thanks to your advice will be arriving soon) than the headphones outputs. the problem I have with this is that my computer has only one line input so I can only connect one of the outputs from the korg making it mono. is there any way I can have it stereo without using the headphones output?

thanks in advance

I would recommend getting a small (2-4 channels) audio interface. Not only would you be able to record stereo keyboards the best way (L & R line outputs), it's input structure would be better than your laptop's line in, in terms of impedance matching (for better sound from varying output types) as well as level control. Hopefully, the laptop has USB 2.0 input, cuz you need that speed of data transfer for recording music. there are several good interfaces for under $200 (less on ebay)- look into M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Lexicon Omega, PreSonus AudioBox, Tascam US-122L, etc. I own an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra which is like the Fast Track Pro but with 6 inputs and 4 mic pre-amps. It has worked great for me recording guitar, bass, and keys. Great sound on a variety of sources and glitch-free. But it was $350. The Tascam interface looks good to me, and it's only $129 in the 2009 Sweetwater catalog- it's got zero-latency direct monitoring and the inputs are switchable to guitar level. Interfaces also have better headphone outputs and line level outputs. Hope this helps... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: