Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re: sample volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathunkya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Question re: sample volume Reply with quote

Usually on other samplers when I sample something at a certain volume it will play back at that exact same volume when I trigger the sample. However when I sample on the Microsampler, the volume reduces significantly when it comes time to hit a key to play back the sample.

What I end up doing is just boosting the hell out of the volume again when I record my performance out to the DAW. But the problem with this is that the 'background noise' is also boosted meaning a lower quality final recording.

I figure I must be doing something quite basic wrong somewhere? Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. My sample level is always at the default of +0.0 dB. And my sample rate is 48 k (whatever 48 k means).

Oh and one other question I had related to BPMs. The Microsampler's bpm tapper button is a lot more accurate than the MPC 2500's. However I'm still finding that I'm sometimes off by a fraction on some of these. I suspect it could be that when your sampling from a band, they aren't necessarily doing their thing to a precise, round number bpm. Does anyone know of any computer programs that you can wack wav loops into and have it give you an exact reading, i.e. 97.456 bpms?

Cheers people
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you have remembered to set input gain to maximum level without clipping.

Myself I have gotten used to normalising on the machine or tweaking it up on the s/w editor but keeping levels constant between samples isn't made very easy by the fiddly interface. I use my DAW to correct clip levels once samples recorded into track.

Something like Sonar or Cubase has beat calculating that works out hitpoints of beat and thus tempo. Those are what I'm used to using anyway.

Hope that helps a bit.
Zarathunkya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:
Presume you have remembered to set input gain to maximum level without clipping.

Cheers for the response.

Yeah I'm doing that already - I twist the knob at the back while listening to the sample source and try to get it going into the yellow but never going into the red.

So I'm sampling at the max volume without distortion, nevertheless when I play back my sample it comes out the MS about 2 times as quiet as the original source.

Cheers for the software tips
Corbytender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also try sampling in mono instead of stereo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: