Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ergonomics and Electrical Safety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Ergonomics and Electrical Safety Reply with quote

I've had my EMX for about 3 years now.

Absolutely love it.

Sure Ableton Live can do some killer stuff but for a hardware machine this thing kicks some serious butt.

Now, I've watch tons of video tutorials and read the manual cover to cover.

From the beginning I felt this was THE instrument for me but oftentimes during the last 3 years I've felt something was missing.

But before all of you chime in "It's your lack of talent, you worthless hack" (lol) let me explain.

There is something to be said for the ergonomics of an instrument albeit a guitar, bass, piano, keyboard or drums.

The thing has just gotta feel good in your hands.

Well I just stumbled across something so simple yet so effective I always do this when I play around with my EMX.

I simply put it in my lap while sitting in the ole' lazy boy recliner or any good computer chair that reclines.

Now that may seem soooo obvious, but wait.

Most of us have the EMX sitting flat in a static position on a table or stand of some kind.

That tends to make one very cerebral and analytical.

Lean back in your favorite chair with a pair of high quality headphones with your left hand on the arp and your right hand on the cutoff filter and let er' rip.

You might be surprised how much faster the creative juices start to flow.

Now, because I've worked as an electronics techs for many years I'm a bit leary about setting a 120v device in my lap.

I'm not sure what kinda current this thing pulls but it only takes about 800mA to kill a man.

So, just to be on the safe side I rest the EMX on a plastic three ring binder that I place on my lap.

That way I'm safe and comfortable.

I know this sounds so simple it's almost silly.

But if I consider the results I would say the quality and quantity of my output has gone up 3 fold since implementing this simple change.

I would reccommend it to any newcomer looking for a way not to "over-think" the EMX and just groove with it.

This thing is so powerful you don't really need to read the manual cover to cover.

Intuition and imagination go along way with the Korg EMX.

www.psyuniverse.com/papaheavypsy
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ergonomics and Electrical Safety Reply with quote

paul_courville wrote:

Now, because I've worked as an electronics techs for many years I'm a bit leary about setting a 120v device in my lap.

I'm not sure what kinda current this thing pulls but it only takes about 800mA to kill a man.

hmm, I use my ESX on my lap but I hadn't thought of that - the old (not SD) models use a 9V 3000mA AC transformer
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually prefer to play standing up with my tribe in it's coffin. I seem to get better control when it is in a fixed position. Plus I like to shuffle my feet (almost dance) while jamming!

Personal preference I guess Very Happy

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
oobs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New SD Electribes have an external 12v (not 120v) 3500mA DC power supply (at least here in Italy/Europe) - I'd think they're not more dangerous than any other equipment, but the plastic sheet makes sense anyway. My Electribe came shipped with a soft, synthetic thermo-insulant blanket that may work as well.

I find the whole ergonomics topic quite interesting. For sure, the environment you work in can affect the way you work. Placement of devices, body posture, use of headphones vs. speakers...all these factors may matter.

Personally, I only recently started playing and I'm still looking for the correct position.

Right now I stand up, while exercising at home - it's a sort of training for when I'll go live.
My neck usually hurts after 1 hour, though, so I'm experimenting placing machines at different heights. Unsurprisingly, placing gear higher than the usual seems better for my neck.
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oobs wrote:
My neck usually hurts after 1 hour, though, so I'm experimenting placing machines at different heights. Unsurprisingly, placing gear higher than the usual seems better for my neck.

I get this too! Maybe I need to start working on raising my rig Very Happy

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
cooptrol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tuning completely with this thread. I have always had my laptop and the Electribe side by side, and this has always been a little bit weird. Now for instance, I have the ESX on the right, and to me it would be ideal to have it on the left, but the laptop's vent grid is on the left, and it exhales hot air directly to my ESX, so no way.

The other problem is the monitors. If I sit right in front of the laptop one monitor stays a little farther. If I sit right in front of the ESX, the other monitor gets off axis. Putting the ESX in a angle is not a good solution either, cos you have to work with your head turned in the same angle towards the monitors. So this slight feeling of uncomfortableness is alway there. I guess the best solution is to spend in a really big table, monitor stands, and an expensive chair with actually-rolling wheels to switch location swiftly.

I've used my ESX on my lap on some occasions, but I always get some static from the metal chassis unless I lift my feet off the ground. And I'm not talking about the bottom side of the box, the top plate does the same thing. And the power supply is correctly earthed. I guess it's like that with metal-made gear.
oobs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oobs wrote:
New SD Electribes have an external 12v (not 120v) 3500mA power supply (at least here in Italy/Europe) - I'd think they're not more dangerous than any other equipment, but the plastic sheet makes sense anyway. My Electribe came shipped with a soft, synthetic thermo-insulant blanket that may work as well.

I find the whole ergonomics topic quite interesting. For sure, the environment you work in can affect the way you work. Placement of devices, body posture, use of headphones vs. speakers...all these factors may matter.

Personally, I only recently started playing and I'm still looking for the correct position.

Right now I stand up, while exercising at home - it's a sort of training for when I'll go live.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: