Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recording, saving and replaying songs on iMS-20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamoose124

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: recording, saving and replaying songs on iMS-20 Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and new to the Korg iMS-20 for my iPad . . . . a mind boggling ap! In fact, after experimenting with it for several days, I still can't figure out how to create a song in the sequencer, save it, and replay it. Where can I find some step, by step info on how this software works?

I have read and downloaded the Korg MS-20 online manual (pdf), and the Korg iMS-20 webarcive manual. While these manuals were helpful (especially the iMS-29) manual, I am still having difficulty figuring things out.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Confused
Krog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Building a song is really simple. Its just a case of creating a series of patterns and then putting them all together to form the song.

The simplest way to try and understand how to build up a song is to just probably use the drum machine to create some simple patterns and then put two together in sequence to create your fist song.

Okay, first off, lets load the 'default' blank song.
From the point when you first load the app hit the 'BROWSE' button in the top left hand corner of the window.

In the main part of the window that you are now in (Session Browser) pick the file called 'New Session'. This is like a generic start up file. While you are still in the session window, this file will start playing a simple beat and tone pattern.

Hit 'OK' in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

You should now be back in the main synth window. Okay, lets stop this monotonous pattern. Towards the top left of this window therei is an area called 'PLAYBACK'. In that area is a white square button. Hit that button to stop the pattern playing.

Okay, now on to making some more patterns.

Because we are going to just use the drum machine at this point in time, under the 'COMPONENTS' tab at the top of the screen, hit the 'DRUMS' button.
You should now be in the drum machine window.

The rows of buttons along each horizontal row represent a beat.
You will see that this pattern triggers a beat or sound at 1, 5, 9, 13 for DRUM 1.
This effectively is pattern 1.
Right, before we do anything else lets save out this session so that we dont mess up the default start up file.

Once again, at the top left hand of the screen, hit the SAVE button. Fill out the boxes that appear with anything you want. Just call your file TEST or something similar. Hit the blue ADD button. You are now in your own file called TEST !
Right lets make another simple pattern and then we can make up a song.

At the top of the screen under the PLAYBACK tab, hit the little window where it currently says PATTERN 1. This now brings up a series of large square pads. Hit the pad that says PATTERN 2. Hit the previous small window where it now says PATTERN 2 to collapse the square tabs. You will now here that pattern 2 is playing and it is identical to pattern 1. So lets change that. In the series of buttons that run horizontally across from DRUM 1, click on all the buttons ! That has now triggered a drum sound on every beat ! Click the square button under playback to get some rest from this rather annoying noise !

Right, lets now string our two patterns together to make a terrible song !
Under the COMPONENTS box at the top of the screen hit the SONG/PTN buton.
This window is where you link your patterns together to form a song.
The series of white buttons running across the screen represent placeholders for your patterns. For this basic example, all we are going to do is play pattern 1 followed by pattern 2 and then stop.

Okay, first of all hit the first white button . This now brings up a box that will let you choose a pattern to assign at this position. Pick PATTERN 1. Okay now pick the second white button. Now assign PATTERN 2. Now pick the third white button. Pick the STOP button. Right, thats your first song. Before you decide to playback your first masterpiece make sure you change the button under PLAYBACK from PTN to SONG. Now hit the white square button under PLAYBACK and admire your work.

And thats the basics of creating a song !
In summary : create your patterns and then link them togeter. Easy

Hope that helps a little,

Krog
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
mamoose124

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks for prompt response Reply with quote

OK! Thanks for the prompt response. I will try your suggestions today and let you know how I progress. Laughing
buggs1a

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you progress?
krox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a great post Krog. That has really shed some light.

I went through the online help, but could not figure out how to save and playback. But now I can.

A few questions:

Can I only save to an individual pattern? If so, then I can't just play a long song on the synth and save it to a song, I have to select pattern, then record 4 bars on the synth and then save that, then select the next pattern, and record 4 bars on that etc.

If I want all the patterns to have the same drums but different synth, can I do the drums for pattern 1 then duplicate them to pattern 2 etc, and then do the synth? Or do I have to set up everything from scratch

cheers

krox
Krog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@krox

See my post link below for information on copying patterns.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57981

Cheers,

Krog.
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
krox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did the trick!

cheers

Krox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: