Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMS 20 help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranklynMartin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: iMS 20 help!!! Reply with quote

Hi

I've just started using the ims 20 but I'm having problems with some of the basic functions - once ive recorded the synth on a pattern I can't find how to delete it. I have some annoying synth recordings which I can't delete - does anyone know how I can do this?

I've read the help files and manual but can't work it out - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Frank
Krog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Under the COMPONENTS tab at the top of the screen, hit the SONG/PTN button.

Under the PLAYBACK tab, make sure you are in PTN mode.

Select the pattern you want to clear.

In the top right hand corner of the screen hit the UTILITY button.

You will now see the option to 'Clear Pattern'.

This will take this pattern back to the default 4 beat + tone setting.

Hope that helps a little,

Krog.
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
FranklynMartin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response...

If I clear the pattern I lose my drum pattern / sequence also.

I've basically recorded the synth on top of my drum pattern and I can't undo the recording or delete the synth to start again on top of the drum pattern.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again

Frank
FranklynMartin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, if I lay down my drum patterns to make the first section of a song - I can then record in real time with the synth on top of this but I can't work out how to undo a recording or loop one synth pattern on top of different drum patterns?

Cool
Krog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. From my use of the app, heres what I believe to be the answer to what you are trying to do.

As you say, deleting the pattern also undoes all of the good work you may have done in programming you drum pattern.
Just a tip at this point before I carry on. If you have laid down a particularly good rhythm, you can always copy that to a blank pattern, say pattern 16, to save for use at a later point in your work.

Okay, on to deleting your synth part.
Its not as straightforward as you might think it should be and thats because the app is trying to simulate a good old fashioned analogue synth/sequencer set up.
So, to actually delete the synth part you do not like (without losing your drum part in your case) you have to 'un-program' the sequencer !

This is easy but a little bit laborious, however it does show us how these types of instruments worked back in the day !

Right, I'm assuming you have your rogue pattern running. The first thing to do is drag the screen down to reveal the Sequencer located 'off-screen'.
What you will now see is the three rows of 16 knobs that each reflect the note, octave and gate of a note in your recorded pattern.

You will notice that all of the dials are in a different position and hence give a visual indication of what you have recorded.

In order to actually just switch off your notes you have recorded just set the bottom row (gate) of dials to 0%. Easy !

Hopefully just doing that has given you a feel for what you can achieve in the sequencer window because for every note you record you can manually go in and edit its note, octave and gate time. Quite a powerful tool really and definitely very old school.

Hope that gets you playing around a bit in the sequencer window Very Happy
Hours of fun to be add !

Cheers,

Krog
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
FranklynMartin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool I now have the hang of the gate function on the sequencer, if I record the synth I can just Put the gates back to 0 and re-record.

The problem I'm now having is layering synth sounds on top of each other... You can only have one synth or one sound on one pattern, I can't work out how to select different sounds eg a bass plus lead and strings and layer them on top of each other.

When listening back to the demos in soundcloud it's definitely possible, I can only think that either the bass or the lead is going through one of the drum channels?

Cheers - I'm having a lot of fun with it but desperate to turn this into some songs!!!

Frank
Krog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. You've already sussed it Wink

In order to layer different synth parts just use drum tracks.
Just hit the sound edit button on the drum track to take you to the synth editing window and then you have the choice of modifying the sound using all of the various knobs or you could pick one of the inbuilt presets from the SOUND PRESET tab at the top of the screen.

Just have fun experimenting and your masterpiece will eventually emerge Very Happy

Cheers,

Krog.
FranklynMartin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having so much fun with the ims20 I've been glued to it since I got it. I missed my stop on the bus today because I took it out to use on the commute to work!

There are some obvious limitations such as not being able to import samples and the it can be a bit laborious to arrange the samples but I actually like that it's just the original korg sounds and that you really have to think about how to make the arrangements, it's as much a test for my logic trying to do what I want as it is my musical ability, which is pretty limited.

I love this synth, thanks for your help

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: