Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a small-mid range amp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davednyc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Looking for a small-mid range amp Reply with quote

Newbie to the fourm here...

I recently got the SV-1 (76 key) and love the natural piano sounds (as well as everything else). I'm looking to compliment my SV1 with a nice sall-mid range amp (unfortunately both price and size are a factore, as I live in a studio apt).

I'm thinking of the Roland KC 150 or Hartke KM60. Has anybody has any experience with those. I'm particulalry interested in maintaining the character of the sampled grand pianos. I understand that being stereo samples that may be a bit difficult, but any advice is welcome.

And as for what may pass for as a silly question... will playing the left/right stereo outputs through multple channels on the amp help maintain that natural character? I realize that much of the stereo effect will be lost through the single speaker...

THANKS!
Dave
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single speaker amps are great for portability and practicality - take them to practise, just plug them in.

But if you're looking for a quality experience then you should perhaps look at active studio monitors. These are full-range speakers (active meaning that the amp is built in. You could get 'passive' ones and a separate power amp) that you would set up in a stereo pair just like you would a set of Hi-Fi or PC speakers.

Sending both channels to a mono amp won't make any difference. The L/Mono socket automatically adds the righthand signal into it when it is the only one socket connected. So you'd just be using two cables and defering the summing to the amp (and increasing the opportunity for your cables to pick up interference.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KC 150 isn't bad, but it isn't great. I don't like the attached cord on the back with only a velcro strap to tie it up.

I think for the same power a Behringer is a better buy.

I second the idea of studio monitors if you're just playing at home.
TonalityTech2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the idea of studio monitors for at home use. However, for live you can't beat a pair of active PA speakers. I've been using 2 of the original JBL eons for... well... eons.
The only other alternative for live is Motion Sound. True stereo is the ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: