Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS20 Super Distorty Improv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: MS20 Super Distorty Improv Reply with quote

I made this really distorted bass, and just thought why not make a terrible quality camera shaking video to demonstrate it. A little bit of the quality is obviously because of the camera, but it really is very low-bit and dirty IRL- a bit warmer though.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1715217/korgims20.m4v
outbackyak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is most impressive.

I've been able to copy your patch panel routing, you're obviously modulating the filters cutoff frequencies. and I've been able to get something vaguely like your sound, but would you be able to upload a nice clear still picture of your control panel (in Zoom mode, naturally), so I can see exactly what your settings are?

Have you tried routing the phones output to the input of the VCA and the output of the VCA to LPF in? Then if you route the mod wheel to the control input of the VCA you've got mod wheel control of the effect (or at least that part of it that is a result of the feedback loop to the LPF cutoff). Nice!

However, I don't see what the routing of the triangle output of the MG to the S&H in and the S&H out to the HPF in achieves that you can't achieve just as well just by using the MG as a modulation source.

You've got nothing triggering the S&H, so as far as I can see it's just a convoluted way of getting straightforward MG effects. (Or am I missing something here? It's entirely possible, as I'm still coming to grips with the patch panel. But I've tried it both ways, and to me they sound identical.)

Using the exact same routing you already have, if you route the square wave out from the MG to the the clock in of the S&H and wind up the waveform of the MG itself to about 9.92 then you've got sample and hold of the HPF cutoff frequency, but it sounds quite different from the normal S&H sounds you get using either the pink or white noise generator outs from the noise generator. I guess this is because it's sampling a Ramp wave rather than noise. (I'm not saying this is better than your current patch, it's just a variation)

We really ought to get some sort of thread going here for users to post their best patches.

Thanks for your post, it's given me a number of ideas I probably wouldn't have thought of without your stimulus.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get a pic. Does the iPad have a screenshot function? It's technically not mine personally, and I haven't had much time to mess with it.

As for my whole S&H routing, I have no clue how to use it, I just kind of connected a patch cable there in hopes it'd modulate something, lol.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i overwrote the patch.

>:-/
outbackyak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
I'll try to get a pic. Does the iPad have a screenshot function?

I was about to say, "not so far as I know", but I googled it and yes, it does!

http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/04/03/how-to-take-a-screenshot-of-your-ipad/

As far as knowing how to use the Patch Panel, only a couple of days ago I was saying things in posts here like "it either doesn't do anything or it does something completely unexpected." I had no idea how it worked.

Now I'm no expert, but at least I've got a grip on the basics, via these excellent videos on the original MS-20 which you can find in this post http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58030
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I tried to recreate the path as faithfully as possible. it's fairly close.

Just fyi, in the vid I'm pumping the iPad through a sub, so the patch won't sound the same unless you can too.

Here's the patch without your modifications:

Routing the mod wheel like you said and turning The LPFs EG all the way up can create some REALLY cool distortion.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see from your vid, your Sample & Hold isn't doing anything. You need something connected to that upper 'clock' input. This is a real sample & hold module. Not like the 'random' waveform that you get on the R3 which is wrongly called 'sample & hold' because it approximates the end result of the most popular use for the module.

What sample and hold does is it outputs the input value, only when the clock input is pulsed.
So for example you could have noise going to the input, and the LFO's pulse output connected to the clock input, and then you'd get that random stepped output like what the R3 has, at the rate of the LFO. It 'samples' the input every time the 'clock' input goes high (or crosses zero, depending on the implementation).

So if you think about it, you can use this for other sources too. I've always thought it'd be fun to use S&H with an EG to get a stepped EG. Or a ramp LFO at a different rate to the clock LFO, to get a pseudo-sequencer effect. Or try patching the 'phones' output into the S&H input or clock.

Also your patch into the LPF isn't doing anything because you don't have the 'EG2/EXT' knob turned up which would be the intensity from EG2, until you plug something into that socket (which you have) at which point it uses that signal instead.
Similarly the MG/T.EXT takes input from the MG unless you plug something into the 'total' socket at which point your patching takes over. Its called 'normalisation', where there are 'default' signal paths which you break when you plug something else into the socket. That's what the lines on the panel are for too.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was that bass sound is awesome. I'm going to try and recreate it on the Radias and on my Legacy setup.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
outbackyak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
From what I can see from your vid, your Sample & Hold isn't doing anything. You need something connected to that upper 'clock' input. This is a real sample & hold module. Not like the 'random' waveform that you get on the R3 which is wrongly called 'sample & hold' because it approximates the end result of the most popular use for the module.

What sample and hold does is it outputs the input value, only when the clock input is pulsed.
So for example you could have noise going to the input, and the LFO's pulse output connected to the clock input, and then you'd get that random stepped output like what the R3 has, at the rate of the LFO. It 'samples' the input every time the 'clock' input goes high (or crosses zero, depending on the implementation).

So if you think about it, you can use this for other sources too. I've always thought it'd be fun to use S&H with an EG to get a stepped EG. Or a ramp LFO at a different rate to the clock LFO, to get a pseudo-sequencer effect. Or try patching the 'phones' output into the S&H input or clock.

Also your patch into the LPF isn't doing anything because you don't have the 'EG2/EXT' knob turned up which would be the intensity from EG2, until you plug something into that socket (which you have) at which point it uses that signal instead.
Similarly the MG/T.EXT takes input from the MG unless you plug something into the 'total' socket at which point your patching takes over. Its called 'normalisation', where there are 'default' signal paths which you break when you plug something else into the socket. That's what the lines on the panel are for too.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was that bass sound is awesome. I'm going to try and recreate it on the Radias and on my Legacy setup.

Yah, already mentioned to the OP about the sample & hold not doing anything - or to be more precise not acting as an S&H unless there's a clock input. If you read my earliest post in this thread you'll see that patched that way although it doesn't work as an S&H, it does work to just recreate the normal effect of using the MG as a modulator of the HPF cutoff.

Also, for the S&H to work properly you have to use the square wave output of the MG - but not just any square; wave, you have to set the waveform knob almost but not quite to 10: between about 9.76 and 9.92.

Apparently the S&H should more properly be called a "Track & Hold (not that I know the difference, I'm just quoting this site http://www.korganalogue.net/korgms/mstt.html) and it won't work with a normal square wave. It needs a very narrow pulse wave for the effect to work.

I think that the reason the OP hasn't got the EG2EXT turned up is that he's tried to recreate this patch from scratch, having overwritten the original by accident. If you check i vid you'll also see that the routing of the Patch Panel is different from the original patch. Easy enough mistake to make. And sometimes with modular or semi-modular synths that's how you find new sounds or methods - by happy accident.

I know there's no room for them on a real MS-20, but what I really miss in the Patch Panel is multiples so that you can either combine multiple modulation sources and send them to one input, or take one output and send it to multiple inputs, the former more than the latter. If you've got both types you can do both by patching multiple inputs into one multiple, send that to the other sort of Multiple and take the outs from that and send them to multiple inputs. If they've got an inverter as well, you can have an LPF cutoff going up at the same time that the HPF cutoff is going down

In Reason I use multiples in almost every patch I build (only they call them Spider CV Devices. Don't you love the way that every manufacturer uses different terminology for the same module or control. Like MG instead of LFO - why? there's a perfectly good term available, but KORG has to be different, and so do Propellerhead).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: