Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Looping and then Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurlyWS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Live Looping and then Recording Reply with quote

Well............. I've been searching and searching for answers and frankly I'm just getting dragged down further into the rabbit hole.

Heres what I've been doing,
I create samples live with a microphone into 2 KP3'S, buying the second kp3 in retrospect basically just for the additional 4 sample banks.
If you know of artists like dub fx or beardyman you will know what sort of thing I'm on about

beardyman link ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XryzjprNqE

So I have these two rocking out (not like beardyman just yet Razz) and so want to start recording. However when I record like this now, I'm simply getting a singular audio recording of my performance with no ability to edit mistakes etc. in my digital interface.

However, I don't want anything software based for the looping as I find this kills spontaneous momentum. My research so far has led me to believe I'm looking for a sampler but with multi-track outputs for each sample bank, however I use this termonology with caution due to my weak knowledge of music tech.

I need it to function like the kp3, playback occuring instantly after a sample's recording and also 'background' syncing when the sample is turned off. When turned back on again I want it to join the music in sync and not from the start of the loop. Other than that any other features the device has to other will probably never get used. I'm not after any 'additional' selling points like effects or pre loaded samples.

So I have about £400 give n take but would still like info on anything of a higher value if my price range is too low. I have looked at getting a mpc (sorry Korg) as I like the idea of being able to play with one shot samples I could take from youtube clips to add to my performance but I read somewhere It can't perform to my looping needs (which I mentioned in the above paragraph)

Anyway, any responses are much appreciated and I fully understand if you don't know what heck I'm going on about because It took me 2 days of googling 'recording live loops' just to be able to write down what I just regurgitated =P
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need one of these!

http://www.bossus.com/go/rc-20xl/

Great for live sampling\looping. I've never used one, but have seen them used and they are impressive if you how what your doing.

Plus it's way under your budget at about $250 USD Very Happy

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
CurlyWS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Smile

Yeah I've seen this it seems pretty good but I'm after something that allows me to have multiple outputs so I can assign seperate loops (Or maybie I should be saying tracks) to seperate outputs.
I have no trouble finding good sequencers. The trouble lies in having this multi-track output malarchy alongside that.
The idea is, when I record, layers will record simultaneously, so I can have the bassline seperate from the rythmn, melodies and drum patterns when recording.
So if I can assign (on this mysterious machine) the bassline sample, to one output, the drum pattern, to another,etc. etc. etc. It will allow me to record in this fashion.
I know there is a method of doing this because Beardyman secretely talks about how he has recently found the solution and hence his album's production is now in progress.
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if its the right tool for your needs but have a look at the Zoom R24 maybe. multitrack recorder (up to 8 simultaneous recording) also has a looping function and pad triggers on the individual tracks (up to 24) not so sure of its live looping funcitonality or even how tight the looping can be (think it would all have to be recorded/loaded at exact same tempo and trimmed precisely to keep the looping tight) it doesnt however have multiple outs... but it is a standalone multitrack recorder that wont break the bank and i'm sure if one were to dig deep they'd find a way to make it a decent performance tool. I'm going to look into getting one maybe. i bought the R16 this past weekend and i'm very happy with it but it doesnt have the looping functions and pad triggers.

only other suggestion i can make if you really wanting multiple outputs is ofcourse an MPC... but its not for live sampling and looping.

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just asked a gear-head mate about this topic and he suggested the electro-harmonix 2880

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/fx/looper-and-sampler/2880-super-multi-track-looper-20445/review

http://www.ehx.com/products/2880

or the boss RC-30
(used by dubFX)

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
desholmes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just written an article about live looping. It's got a list of 5 artists with the equipment they use:

http://blog.digitlondon.com/2011/digit/live-looping-going-solo

I hope it's useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: