Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs. Oasys (information only, no complaining/requests)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding KARMA, some information is incorrect.

OASYS and M3 have KARMA 2.2.6.

KRONOS has KARMA 2.2.8.

They are all exactly the same KARMA implementation, except KRONOS and M3 have the Drum Track, which also ties into KARMA in certain ways.

The different between 2.2.6 and 2.2.8 are minor bug fixes, none of which really affect the OASYS or M3.

So all 3 keyboards are KARMA 2.2.

Barnabeat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO ME THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THE SOUND QUALITY....AS IS BEEN SAYD BEFORE...THE OASYS HAS 32 BITS INTERNAL....WHAT ABOUT THE KRONOS?.....ALSO THE OASYS HAS 18,5 DBU OUTPUT...THE KRONOS 16...SO WICH ONE SOUNDS BETTER? BIGGER?....MAY BE THE KRONOS LIKE THE M3?.....THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME...IF I HAVE TO BUY A KRONOS OR AN OASYS.....I HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE BECAUSE IAM GOING TO BUY ONE OF THEM....THANKS,HELP ME WITH THAT
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off the freaking capslock.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:subscribing:

O76 for sale. Smile
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, bye bye ROM! Hello Gig + SSD.

I've been seriously impressed with Kronos. The hour long presentation was brilliant.

The way all the separate synth engines have been implemented is ...\m/
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: KRONOS Reply with quote

Well I knew this was coming just not when. The new CPU is a huge upgrade and when I read that I thought this is so great with SSD too….so much faster and far more reliable! I think Korg hit it just right again except I have not seen poly AT mentioned;-) but if the price is low that's a fair trade off.....but it must happen. We must have Poly AT. If Korg doesn’t do it someone else will and with the new sounds and KARMA on board Poly AT will be more powerful than ever.

"Without the rubber pads I'm not a fan nor will I buy it."

This was my only disappointment too as Poly AT is asking a lot without a high price but I will buy it. As soon as it comes out. How is an interesting question but this just added fuel to my emotions and I am dangerous now…legally speaking as a mechanic of course;-) My life is a joke now as the people around me act like children hiding from a truth I can’t help expose no matter what I do with everything I own, all my keyboards, taken illegally to stop my lawsuit but I know there are limits to everything even designing a workstation like the KRONOS so I can wait on the pads and say Korg rules again and I am impressed so far but waiting to hear it is….what counts most. Good sounding electronics cost money so wonder if it will really equal the OASYS. Time will tell as usual. The M1 case was perfect and really happy to see a simple, clean, functional case again in black. My Triton is my Triton cause it has my ware pattern all over where the silver finish (I won’t say paint cause Korg would never do that….) came off.

Right on Korg….you did it again. “Better all the time.”

John^^
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody does Poly AT anymore, it's too expensive.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
1. You can load KRONOS Programs, Combis and Sequences into the OASYS and vice versa (source: Sina)

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sharp says that you can't load Programs & Combis from the Kronos into the Oasys, but you can load Oasys INTO the Kronos.

I think Sharps facts are 100.1% more reliable than Sina's emotional volcanic outbursts.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Sharps facts are 100.1% more reliable than Sina's emotional volcanic outbursts.

It's correct that you can load OASYS into KRONOS, but not the other way. Maybe you'll believe me. Wink

vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Quote:

It's correct that you can load OASYS into KRONOS, but not the other way. Maybe you'll believe me. Wink

I will Smile So, both PCG and SNG? KSC's and I guess KGE's should be a nobrainer.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely! Smile
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
Quote:

I will Smile So, both PCG and SNG? KSC's and I guess KGE's should be a nobrainer.
Well, PCG for sure. I must admit I'm not sure about SNG, although I don't see why not - the sequencer is virtually identical except for the resolution (96 -> 480). I'll have to try it when I get home...

RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
vEddY wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
Quote:

Well, PCG for sure. I must admit I'm not sure about SNG, although I don't see why not - the sequencer is virtually identical except for the resolution (96 -> 480). I'll have to try it when I get home...

In korg kronos long specs, you can read that it accepts seq file at kronos and oasys format. Now you are confirming us pcg from oasys to kronos are workingtoo,thats a big andgreat new for me cause i can work with no brainer the tunes i made on my regretted oasys onthe kronos as soon as get one. Thanx
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

Thanks man - for being helpful as always. This is a pretty big thing for KORG I would say, and a very good move.
Congrats on the Karma for Motif thingy, hope it does well, and here's hoping that KORG licenses KARMA 3 for Kronos as well Smile Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
macalister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
Let's contrast the two to make the differences clearer. Please only post verified information, or questions, but not conjecture.

I will try to maintain this list and correct any errors.

Known Differences:

DIMENSIONS
- KRONOS mid-sized is 73 keys and "weighted". OASYS is 76 and synth-action. KRONOS does have 61 keys version. OASYS doesn't.

- KRONOS is smaller
KRONOS 88-key: 57.28” x 16.18” x 5.71” (1,455 x 411 x 145 mm)
KRONOS 73-key: 48.94” x 16.18” x 5.71” (1,243 x 411 x 145 mm)
KRONOS 61-key: 41.42” x 14.25” x 5.28” (1,052 x 362 x 134 mm)

OASYS 88-key: 57.40” x 19.06” x 5.31” (1,458 x 484 x 135 mm)
OASYS 76-key: 49.84” x 19.06” x 5.31” (1,266 x 484 x 135 mm)

- KRONOS is lighter
KRONOS 88-key: 50.71 lbs. / 23.0 kg
KRONOS 73-key: 44.75 lbs. / 20.3 kg
KRONOS 61-key: 27.56 lbs. / 12.5 kg

OASYS 88-key: 70.99 lbs / 32.2 kg.
OASYS 76-key: 56.44 lbs / 25.6 kg.

HARDWARE
- Atom Dual Core (KRONOS) vs. P4 2.8 (OASYS)
- KRONOS power consumption is 60W, OASYS is 130W

SCREEN
- OASYS has 10.4" TouchView 640x480 Display. KRONOS uses an improved 8" TouchView display with 800x600
- OASYS has pivoting screen, KRONOS doesn't
- KRONOS has improved graphics (more pictures of instruments, effects)

CONTROLS
- OASYS has physical pads, KRONOS doesn't, but has a pads screen page.
- OASYS has LED's around the Knobs and next to the Sliders. KRONOS doesn't.

I/O
- KRONOS has 2 USB A Ports for storage, CDRW, etc. OASYS has 4 USB 2.0 Ports and CDROM.
- KRONOS has USB connection to computer (stereo audio / MIDI).
- KRONOS has 4 Individual Outs and 2 Main Outputs, OASYS has 8 Individual Outs and 2 Main outputs.
- KRONOS has 2 Inputs, OASYS has 4 Inputs (2 of which are Phantom Powered Mic Preamps).
- OASYS supports ADAT and Wordclock (via the EXB-DI card), KRONOS lacks this option.

MEMORY
- KRONOS uses 30Gb SSD, OASYS uses 40Gb HDD

SYNTHESIS
- KRONOS comes with 12 Gb of samples, OASYS comes (without optional EXs) with 1 Gb.
- KRONOS has long-sampled, 4.7G piano from SSD - SGX-1
- KRONOS does have EP-1, Electric Piano Modeling Synthesis
- KRONOS has smooth sound transitions, even from prog to combi.
- KRONOS does have 8 velocity zones per oscillator, OASYS only does have 4 velocity zones per oscillator

- Polyphony
________KRONOS: _____OASYS:
SGX-1: --100 voices--------- 0
EP-1: ---104 voices--------- 0
HD-1: ---140 voices--------- 172
AL-1: ----80 voices --------- 96
CX-3: ---200 voices --------- 172
STR-1: ---40 voices --------- 48
MOD-7: ---52 voices --------- 52
MS-20EX: -40 voices --------- 48
PolysixEX: -180 voices ---------172

- KRONOS KARMA is the same as OASYS - however, like the M3, drum track is implemented in all modes. (source: John Lehmkuhl )
- KARMA on the KRONOS is version 2.8.2, while the OASYS has stopped at 2.2.

SEQUENCER
- KRONOS sequencer is higher resolution (480 PPQN) and has M3's SysEx editor.

PROGS/COMBIS
- Some of the OASYS Combis are in KRONOS, but they have been revamped to a whole new level.

FEATURES
- KRONOS has set list mode.
- KRONOS has current Korg support, OASYS support is closed down.
- On OASYS, you had to pay extra to unlock some engines/content. On KRONOS aLL DSP models and sample libraries are included. Nothing needs to be purchase or unlocked for the factory content. (source: John Lehmkuhl)
- KRONOS records audio in 24 bits, OASYS does 16 bits. NOTE: KRONOS internal sampling resolution is 16 bits.

Known Similarities

1. You can load KRONOS Programs, Combis and Sequences into the OASYS and vice versa (source: Sina)
2. AL1: Modulation: Five Envelope generators, four per-voice LFOs, two AMS Mixers;
3. STR1: Modulation: 5 Envelopes, 4 per-voice LFOs, 2 Key Track generators, String Tracking generators, 4 AMS Mixers.

Questions (about differences):
1. Are OASYS progs/combis loadable on Kronos?
2. Does KRONOS have a fan? Yes (source: John Lehmkuhl )
3. Is the fan quieter than on OASYS?
4. Aside from the EP-1 and SGX-1 engines, are the presets/combis identical?
5. What is the difference between the PCM RAM and the SSD? In other words, can samples be stored "anywhere", and it doesn't matter due to VMT, or are there limitations?
6. Can the SSD be upgraded?
7. Are there compromises (or improvements) in the KRONOS that make it sound worse/same/better than the OASYS?

Looking forward to seeing this fleshed out.
Mark.

(Edited to included additional information, thanks all who contribute)

UNTRUE !!!!!! UNTRUE !!! FALSE !!!

YOU said " 1. You can load KRONOS Programs, Combis and Sequences into the OASYS and vice versa ....

Not true, yes you can load Oasys patches, Combis, Seq, etc into the Kronos, but not vice versa...Korg Oasys won't includes the Kronos samples, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: